PDA

View Full Version : Fletcher class wip - first look... last ship

N332DW
January 13th, 2009, 08:41
this should be my last ship to round out the WWII fleet i've been working on -- this is raw . no materials , no textures just vertex colors and still a few surface normals to suss out.

i'm thinking of depth charge effects on this one :typing:

coming soon , {within the week soon...}

Boomer
January 13th, 2009, 08:56
Looks great! :ernae:

Will have a nicely rounded fleet.:applause:

stovall
January 13th, 2009, 08:57
Thanks Bruce, keep up the great work. Looking forward to this one as well.

Regards, Tom :ernae:

fliger747
January 13th, 2009, 10:21
Nice! the 5" 38 cal barrels are a little long and the stern should sit a bit lower in the water, not a lot of freeboard there!

Cheers: t.

fliger747
January 13th, 2009, 10:26
If you want I can send you drawings, all sorts of stuff on Fletchers....

Cheers: T

Mithrin
January 13th, 2009, 11:12
Bruce, love yer stuff. Haven't been doing a lot of FS flying lately but this should certainly be fun to use!

MorrisTheCat
January 13th, 2009, 14:05
U R Da Man......

MoCat

Helldiver
January 13th, 2009, 16:52
I took a lot of pictures of the Fletchers that served as plane guards for us and they came along side for refueling.
Here's some suggestions.

Navy Chief
January 13th, 2009, 18:14
Did anyone ever do the USS Indianapolis (CA-35) as a scenery object?

http://www.ussindianapolis.org/

NC

CG_1976
January 13th, 2009, 18:47

http://www.ussindianapolis.org/

NC

NC, if im not mistaken, wasn't the USS-Indianapolis the ship that carried the atomic bomb to arrival piont for B-29's? This ships name rings a bell in my naval history mind.

GypsyBaron
January 13th, 2009, 19:27
NC, if im not mistaken, wasn't the USS-Indianapolis the ship that carried the atomic bomb to arrival piont for B-29's? This ships name rings a bell in my naval history mind.

Yes, it carried the bombs to Tinian. She was sunk shortly after that
by a Japanese sub with heavy loss of life. The survivors
floated about for days as the Indianapolis wasn't reported
missing for some time after she was sunk.

Paul

X_eidos2
January 13th, 2009, 19:33
The USS Indianapolis indeed carried the second atomic bomb. But it's also infamous for being torpedoed and sunk by a Japanese sub and the surviving crew suffered one of the worst recorded shark attacks with the loss of over 700 sailors. It's mentioned in the movie Jaws. Books have been written, and TV documentaries have been made about the sinking. Not one of the Navy's better moments.

expat
January 14th, 2009, 00:43
The definitive history book "USS Indianapolis" is gripping reading.

What would be great to have is an aicarrier2 friendly AI version of a WWII heavy cruiser just like this one! :gossip:

Navy Chief
January 14th, 2009, 03:36
One of the best written books about the Indy is, "All The Drowned Sailors", by Raymond Lech.

You can pick up a paper book copy for ONE cent, plus shipping at Amazon!

http://www.amazon.com/All-Drowned-Sailors-Tragic-Indianapolis/dp/0515105511

NC

N332DW
January 14th, 2009, 06:04
copy - less freeboard , gunwale scuppers , heavy mast , stack enhancements , 2x depth charge racks - the bridge superstructure is already there , just hard to make out in the wip image -

this website has been my reference
http://www.destroyerhistory.org/fletcherclass/index.html
see the "portraits" section for the rounded bridge - high profile type Fletchers - many different equipment/detail variations seem to be apparant

fliger747
January 14th, 2009, 13:23
A great destroyer! I had the privilidge of serving on one for a while as a youngster.... The USNR had several that were pretty much unchanged from the WWII configuration, just removal of torpedo tubes and most of the light AA battery. However beautifully maintained!

Cheers: T.