PDA

View Full Version : Need advice about wireless network equip...

Navy Chief
July 14th, 2013, 15:17
For about a year now, I have been running a wireless network in the house, using a Arris Router/Modem TG862 (provided by Comcast), along with a Netgear WNR2500 Range Extender. For the most part, everything has worked flawlessly.

About two months ago, the internet connection became intermittent in the room where the tv is connected to a Roku player. The connection would refresh, and then a few minutes later, it would disconnect again.

I unplugged all the devices, reconnected them, and the problem did not get resolved. I called Netgear, and they had me change channels on the Arris router, but the problem continued.

Then I unplugged the Roku player, and in its place I hooked up a dvd player with Netflix software installed. Although the problem is diminished, the connection still occasionally fails.

I finally decided to order a Netgear R6300 Dual Band Router, which will be delivered this Tuesday.

What I need information on is this. As I understand it, the wireless capability of the Arris Router/Modem will have to be disabled, and a "Bridge" enabled to the new Netgear Router, to allow it to work properly.

Is this something I can accomplish myself, or will I have to involve Comcast?

Thanks in advance, NC

TeaSea
July 14th, 2013, 15:28
Chief,

Not sure I exactly understand your architecture. If I'm following you correctly, you are using a COMCAST Broadband modem, and then one single wireless router to establish a network. Is this correct?

If so, this is something you can do pretty easily (you set up the first one, right?).

If you're going to be using another wireless router as an extension, or as a wireless access point, then you can do this also.

Netgear has a handy tutorial: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19852/~/set-up-a-wireless-router-as-an-access-point-on-a-network

Written for Netgear, but applies to any wireless router and it's not as intimidating as you might think. I have this configuration in my home.

Before you get too carried away though, go back to your Roku and ensure you have the latest firmware...same thing with your DVD player and your router. You may be pleasantly surprised to find an upgrade alleviates your issue.

As an aside, your issue likely comes from interference either from something in the home, or nearby. This is why you got that advice from Netgear. It is the first and easiest thing to check. Your router could also be at fault due to simply wearing out....but likely not. When they fail, they fail dramatically.

Ickie
July 14th, 2013, 15:39
any new wireless phones, keyboards, look at freq 2.4 , 5.0 ect i had a phone which was on same freq as the channel i was using, it drove me nuts until i disconected the phone. you should have 10 channels to use on your router and keep changeing them until it clears,

Navy Chief
July 14th, 2013, 15:46
Chief,

Not sure I exactly understand your architecture. If I'm following you correctly, you are using a COMCAST Broadband modem, and then one single wireless router to establish a network. Is this correct?

The Arris modem/router provides the wireless signal, and the Netgear WNR2500 is a booster ranger extender.

If so, this is something you can do pretty easily (you set up the first one, right?).

If you're going to be using another wireless router as an extension, or as a wireless access point, then you can do this also.

Netgear has a handy tutorial: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19852/~/set-up-a-wireless-router-as-an-access-point-on-a-network

Written for Netgear, but applies to any wireless router and it's not as intimidating as you might think. I have this configuration in my home.

Before you get too carried away though, go back to your Roku and ensure you have the latest firmware...same thing with your DVD player and your router. You may be pleasantly surprised to find an upgrade alleviates your issue.

Both the dvd player and Roku player both have updated firmware. Made sure of that.

As an aside, your issue likely comes from interference either from something in the home, or nearby. This is why you got that advice from Netgear. It is the first and easiest thing to check. Your router could also be at fault due to simply wearing out....but likely not. When they fail, they fail dramatically.

Netgear had me change the channel twice. Only 2 available. Don't ask me why, but only 2 of 11 are highlighted in the menu as being options.

I chose the Netgear R6300 Dual Band Router, as it (according to what I read) will provide a more powerful wireless signal. I am hoping that might override any interference that might be taking place? Thanks, NC

Dangerousdave26
July 15th, 2013, 03:54
yes if you are going to put a router on top of another router the first router /modem must be bridged in some fashion. This is because you do not want to put two routers on your network. Funny things happen when you do that and lots of things will not work. What you are doing when you put the second router in is creating a second network.

You probably should have ordered was a wireless access point. Its not a router it is just an access point. They are typically more expensive than routers probably because fewer of them get sold.

Multiple wireless access points can be plugged into a router with the only limitation being the number of ports to connect to the router. They of course should be spaced for proper coverage within your house. They also need to be wired.

This is like the one I am using

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122013

Navy Chief
July 15th, 2013, 04:46
yes if you are going to put a router on top of another router the first router /modem must be bridged in some fashion. This is because you do not want to put two routers on your network. Funny things happen when you do that and lots of things will not work. What you are doing when you put the second router in is creating a second network.

You probably should have ordered was a wireless access point. Its not a router it is just an access point. They are typically more expensive than routers probably because fewer of them get sold.

Multiple wireless access points can be plugged into a router with the only limitation being the number of ports to connect to the router. They of course should be spaced for proper coverage within your house. They also need to be wired.

This is like the one I am using

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122013

Dave , thanks for the advice. Would you mind taking a look at the Securifi router/range extender/bridge....by Almond? It is on Amazon. Maybe that would work better? Let me know what you think? Thanks, Pete

TeaSea
July 15th, 2013, 04:49
The Arris modem/router provides the wireless signal, and the Netgear WNR2500 is a booster ranger extender.
I saw that Chief, just unsure is that is your COMCAST modem or a separate device.

DD is right in that you can just purchase a range extender or WAP (which is apparently what you have done), however they are generally more expensive and lack the flexibility of a less expensive normal router. That being said, he's also right in that if you don't configure these properly, all sorts of odd things can happen and you will get multiple networks with some devices flipping back and forth at their leisure.

Setting it up properly isn't rocket science though.

Ickie is probably correct about your issue. Likely there's something in the house transmitting on that frequency or a nearby frequency that is introducing errors into your digital transmission.