PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes flights can not be replicated!

T6flyer
July 14th, 2013, 11:42
Yesterday had a superb day at the International Air Day at RNAS Yeovilton with my mode of transport being a 1944 Piper L-4 Grasshopper. Visibility on the way up was rather marginal being very hazy (but then it was extremely early in the morning), but the return was one of the best I've ever had. Being so hot, we had the side door completely open and so at 75mph and 1500 feet over the ground had a very leisurely flight home. Was so good to fly low over BBQ's and Pub Beer Gardens, waving as we ventured South West back to our 250yd strip.

Tried to replicate it today, and it just wasn't the same. The Flight Replica's L-4 Grasshopper was a perfect match, but although I can fly the sim version from the front seat, I am unable to do so in the real thing as being 6' 2", I can't reach the pedals from the front. Sat in the back which is the usual P1 position, I have no problem. So although FSX is wonderful at recreating some flights, sometimes its just best left to your memories.

Cheers,

Martin

Bomber_12th
July 14th, 2013, 11:50
Thank you for sharing, Martin! I love the photos! It also reminds me that I should put some more time on FR's Grasshoppers again.

T6flyer
July 14th, 2013, 11:55
The T-6 (sorry SNJ-5) was next to us in the static park and was about the best view of the day!!! But as you the L-4 is a wonderful aeroplane (and so is the Flight Replicas model). Think have about the same amount of time in both now.

Cheers,

Martin

rdaniell
July 14th, 2013, 12:21
I don't have any time in an L-4 but, do have a fair amount of time in a J-3. Once did about a 2 hour cross country with the door and window both opened.
I had my son who was about 3 years old at the time securely strapped into the front seat. Memories, memories....

RD

T6flyer
July 14th, 2013, 12:27
A few more snaps from the day......

Martin

Bomber_12th
July 14th, 2013, 12:37
Very nice photos again, Martin! The Kennet Skyraider is one of the nicest looking examples around (and painted in its original service colors), and you can just see the age of the metal in that Swordfish.