PDA

View Full Version : TinType Photos On Modern Subjects

Panther_99FS
July 14th, 2013, 11:03
We quite often see US TinType photos on in US Civil War subjects.....well, here it is on modern subjects
-> http://petapixel.com/2013/07/10/these-are-the-first-combat-zone-tintype-photos-created-since-the-civil-war/

TeaSea
July 14th, 2013, 15:32
One would not think that simply changing the medium would make that much difference, but it really does, doesn't it?

Excellent treatment. More depth to each subject. Totally unexpected.

Toastmaker
July 14th, 2013, 15:34
P, that's a neat combo of technique and era ! Good share !

:running:

dvj
July 16th, 2013, 06:49
Holly smokes, those soldiers looks Bad A$#. Look like they are ready for a little house warming party.

Willy
July 16th, 2013, 07:05
Thanks P!

Jagdflieger
July 16th, 2013, 07:45
Interesting medium.

I wonder why several of the prints are in reverse? Intentional?

TeaSea
July 16th, 2013, 15:58
Daguerreotypes are mirror images. So, unless you take another measure the image will be backwards.

They are also very very fragile.

Eoraptor1
July 17th, 2013, 18:58
Daguerreotypes are mirror images. So, unless you take another measure the image will be backwards.

They are also very very fragile.

I'd been wondering about this myself. There's a very famous daguerreotype of Billy the Kid where he's holding his weapon in his left hand; therefore many writers on his life assumed he was left-handed, and there's even a Paul Newman movie called The Left-Handed Gun. So, is the popular image of a left-handed Billy inaccurate?

JAMES

lemonadedrinker
July 18th, 2013, 04:03
Wow!

Powerful images.

Andy.

OBIO
July 18th, 2013, 14:37
Somplace in this litle aprtment I have a coletion of of old pictures...from civl war to the 30s....I love tin dypes. Even bter is the pictrues fro the 20a......flapper chicks are so dexy.

tiM

TeaSea
July 18th, 2013, 15:39
I'd been wondering about this myself. There's a very famous daguerreotype of Billy the Kid where he's holding his weapon in his left hand; therefore many writers on his life assumed he was left-handed, and there's even a Paul Newman movie called The Left-Handed Gun. So, is the popular image of a left-handed Billy inaccurate?

JAMES

That is correct. I can't tell you whether Mr. Bonney was left handed or not, but I can tell you that the image below (which is the one commonly depicted) is a mirror image. In this image young William is holding the muzzle of the rifle in his LEFT hand. His pistol in on his right hand side. You will also see this same photo corrected for the mirror. The misconception on which hand he used comes from this image. Likely he was right handed and most historians have declared that.

Don't believe this is a mirror image? Look closer....chamber on the rifle, buttons on his vest, belt and belt buckle.....

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c4/Billy_the_Kid_tintype%2C_Fort_Sumner%2C_1879-80.png/220px-Billy_the_Kid_tintype%2C_Fort_Sumner%2C_1879-80.png