PDA

View Full Version : Shockwave Lights Question...

rdaniell
July 14th, 2013, 04:50
....This question relates to using shockwave 3D lights on scenery objects.

Here's the question. If I attach shockwave lights to a lightpole, e.g., would that infringe upon any copywrite issues? As I see it, it wouldn't as I would actually only be adding the coordinates for the light into my scenery object's bgl; not, the actual light. For the light to be visible in the downloaded scenery, the person who did the downloading would have to have a purchased copy of shockwave's lights.

What leads me to this conclusion is a visit to A2A's forum where there are lots and lots of aircraft configs posted so owners of the lights can add them to their airplanes.

In the attached screen shot, you can see how well the lights enhance the effect of a lightpole. For individuals without the shockwave lights installed, they would only see the light effect on the ground which comes from the default FSX landing light effect.

I also thought by releasing some scenery objects with shockwave lights attached, it might generate additional sales for the owners of the shockwave lights. Again to my feeble brain, this would be a win/win situation.

Thank you.

RD

kilo delta
July 14th, 2013, 05:19
I can't see it being an issue. You're not including the copyrighted .fx file nor the textures.

Nice idea about using the shockwave lights for scenery,btw.

Meshman
July 14th, 2013, 06:50
If you have a question about using a 3PD's product, wouldn't it be best to ask the 3PD? Another consideration, for those that do not have the 3PD product, what will they see?

rdaniell
July 15th, 2013, 06:34
If you have a question about using a 3PD's product, wouldn't it be best to ask the 3PD? Another consideration, for those that do not have the 3PD product, what will they see?

I agree Meshman that it would be best to go to the developers for my answer. No doubt then as to any copywrite issues. I find that I'm going to have to do that for other reasons as well.

One of the reasons I bought the lights was to enhance some of my scenery objects. I've run into a really puzzling one. In one of my hangers, I have the default fx_landing light attached to the ceiling which provides light down onto the floor which can be seen through the open doors. Well no matter which of the light effects I used to compliment the default fx_landing light, I could not get any of them to show up inside the hanger. However, if I stick my sattelite weather station with a shockwave light effect attached to it inside the hanger, it shows up....Go figure.

The answer to your question about what people without the shockwave lights would see is: They would still see the light from the object as originally modeled by me. There just would be NO shockwave light effect only the FSX default effect.

RD

papab
July 15th, 2013, 07:53
What a great way to use the Shockwave 3D lights! Very creative.....:applause:

Is this stock scenery or purchased?
I would be interested because I use 3D lights...

Rick

rdaniell
July 15th, 2013, 08:03
What a great way to use the Shockwave 3D lights! Very creative.....:applause: Is this stock scenery or purchased?
I would be interested because I use 3D lights... Rick

The hanger and weather station objects were created by me using SketchUp.

RD

rdaniell
July 15th, 2013, 16:24
On the outside chance that somebody might be interested....Shockwave lights do work inside another scenery object. Back quite awhile ago, Roger-Wilco-66 was helping me in my attempts to put light inside a hanger. He made a simple light fixture for me. Unfortunately nothing I tried worked back then. I have just attached a shockwave light to it and then placed it inside the hanger at about 25 feet elevation. The screen shot shows what I consider success.

Of course to use an object like this, you need to first of all own shockwave3D lights. You would also need to know how to place objects in your scenery. It would then in effect simply be your adding the lights to another airplane in your hanger....except this time it would be the hanger...

RD