PDA

View Full Version : When You Get Too Close To Filming The Action

Panther_99FS
July 13th, 2013, 16:31
http://petapixel.com/2013/07/13/photographer-gets-so-close-to-lava-that-his-shoes-and-tripod-catch-on-fire/#more-117428

Dangerousdave26
July 13th, 2013, 17:06
talk about a hot foot

Thats close

SSI01
July 14th, 2013, 09:31
Target fixation?

Terry
July 14th, 2013, 10:01
Heat that intense would have burned his face and hands before the shoes and tripod.

Toastmaker
July 14th, 2013, 10:35
Hmm. . . the first think that comes to my mind is; "not too bright".

:running:

arfyhun
July 14th, 2013, 12:32
Toastmaker, 'not too bright'? I can see plenty of light coming from his plates of meat!

Graham.

T6flyer
July 14th, 2013, 13:37
I flew up to an airshow in the UK this weekend the powers that be, parked our L-4 Grasshopper next to the crowd line. This was superb so that the public could get close, take photos and have a chat, but in front of us were parked two Eurofighter Typhoons. At first I thought they were static as we are, but upon hearing the APU fire up on one, realised that they were display aircraft. After a couple of minutes the exhausts from the jet, were bucking us and the aeroplanes in front, so I ventured forward and held onto the wing of a Cessna 177 for about 5 mins as the Fighter pilot did his preflight checks. No ground crew member seemed to be worried about the light aircraft behind and so completely ignored us. We must have been about 20 metres behind the Eurofighter.

The heat was intense, so hot at times that it was almost too hot to hold onto the wing and when it finally did leave, I burnt some hair off my arm and now find that my watch has changed colour from silver to an off bronze colour!!!!

Making matters worse when the aircraft first arrived into its temporary dispersal, it turned with its back to the crowd who were closer than we were and made people's chairs fall over, hats everywhere and children cry due to the heat and the debris blown into the air. Last time I think I'll be going to an airshow!

Cheers,

Martin

Matt Wynn
July 14th, 2013, 14:52
sounds typical 'Crab Air' to me Martin :icon_lol:

Panther_99FS
July 14th, 2013, 17:37
I flew up to an airshow in the UK this weekend the powers that be, parked our L-4 Grasshopper next to the crowd line. This was superb so that the public could get close, take photos and have a chat, but in front of us were parked two Eurofighter Typhoons. At first I thought they were static as we are, but upon hearing the APU fire up on one, realised that they were display aircraft. After a couple of minutes the exhausts from the jet, were bucking us and the aeroplanes in front, so I ventured forward and held onto the wing of a Cessna 177 for about 5 mins as the Fighter pilot did his preflight checks. No ground crew member seemed to be worried about the light aircraft behind and so completely ignored us. We must have been about 20 metres behind the Eurofighter.

The heat was intense, so hot at times that it was almost too hot to hold onto the wing and when it finally did leave, I burnt some hair off my arm and now find that my watch has changed colour from silver to an off bronze colour!!!!

Making matters worse when the aircraft first arrived into its temporary dispersal, it turned with its back to the crowd who were closer than we were and made people's chairs fall over, hats everywhere and children cry due to the heat and the debris blown into the air. Last time I think I'll be going to an airshow!

Cheers,

Martin

Sounds to me like the Airfield Manager missed something in the pre-show planning...

Allen
July 14th, 2013, 20:47

Cheers,

Martin

In my area of Cal, USA we call that Flight Deck tickets and they cost about 150 USD and you don't get to be that close...

T6flyer
July 14th, 2013, 22:33
In my area of Cal, USA we call that Flight Deck tickets and they cost about 150 USD and you don't get to be that close...

As I was visiting with an aeroplane, I had free roam of the live side (with a pass)....but there was no public access to these areas. The unfortunate souls who got blasted by the Eurofighter when it turned, just happened to be in the wrong place, but then again the Fighter should have turned in the other way to make things easier for everyone.

Martin

dvj
July 16th, 2013, 06:41
http://petapixel.com/2013/07/13/photographer-gets-so-close-to-lava-that-his-shoes-and-tripod-catch-on-fire/#more-117428

If you read the last line of the article, the hot lava did not cause the flames according to the photographer.

"When we asked Hirata about whether the flames were natural, here’s what he had to say: “His shoes an tripod did not combust due to lava… That’s all I will say. But they are on fire and its in one shot.” It appears it was a clever PR stunt after all."

Matt Wynn
July 16th, 2013, 09:01
yeah if you oil your equipment it can make a slight barrier, that's why you can even shovel lava if you use a tempered and oiled shovel... literally can pick it up, it weighs a ton as it's dense rock, just molten... but from there providing you don't be stupid you can actually drop it down ans crudely shape it....

...in many ways this 'sacrificial' layer is used in a lot of things.... shipping primarily to stop the hull corroding first or something like that anyways

Dangerousdave26
July 19th, 2013, 04:41
It was staged but still really cool looking

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/us/2013/07/17/pkg-photographer-talks-about-viral-lava-volcano-photo.khnl.html

And it should be understood it was staged simply because he thought it would look cool. The fact it has gone viral is just the way of the internet.