PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix textures - arrrgg???

DaveKDEN
July 12th, 2013, 11:20
I'm curious if anyone else has forest land class textures displayed all over the Phoenix, AZ area? I've had the problem since day one in FSX. Particular examples include the White Tank Mountains (west of Luke AFB, KLUF - see attached screenshot) and Camelback Mountain (north of KPHX). I bought and installed Scenerytech North America land class this morning and still have the same problem (with or without it enabled). Seems like there should be an easy fix?

Lionheart
July 12th, 2013, 17:26
I wish....

Day one, those stupid mountains are right in visibility of taking off from KDVT Deer Valley airport. Half green like a golf course.

I tried a update that someone had done and it didn't do anything.

I tried photo real scenery, but it was all brown. Everyones green grass yards and golf courses were all brown.

sigh.....

DaveKDEN
July 12th, 2013, 17:29
I wish....

Day one, those stupid mountains are right in visibility of taking off from KDVT Deer Valley airport. Half green like a golf course.

I tried a update that someone had done and it didn't do anything.

I tried photo real scenery, but it was all brown. Everyones green grass yards and golf courses were all brown.

sigh.....

It's long been a frustration for me as well. Such a beautiful area - too bad FSX didn't get it right.

Don't you have Prepar3D Bill? Does it display the same problem?

Lionheart
July 12th, 2013, 19:04
Yep.

P3D has similar platform textures, some improved, some the same, and a lot of the area's like the sand on top of mountains are like FSX, just like that dang mountain. :banghead:

Its like.... Did MS do that on purpose? Do they hate us phoenix people? How do you make a mistake like that, lol...

greenie
July 12th, 2013, 19:28
Orbx are just about ready to release global texture replacement package. It looks damn good from the screenshots I've seen .
Maybe that will fix it.

DaveKDEN
July 12th, 2013, 19:53
Orbx are just about ready to release global texture replacement package. It looks damn good from the screenshots I've seen .
Maybe that will fix it.

I hope, but I think they're simply textures vs. land class definitions.

paiken
July 12th, 2013, 20:10
Look for Megascenery X Phoenix. Photoreal textures with autogen. It's available at aerosoft and other vendors. I've been using it since it came out (and yes, I can see my house quite clearly). Combined with Kevin Burns' freeware Tucson photoreal scenery, it makes flying in central and southern AZ a real pleasure.
You might also try Ground Environment X (GEX), Replaces all of those annoying out-of-place textures.

TuFun
July 12th, 2013, 20:26
Look for Megascenery X Phoenix. Photoreal textures with autogen. It's available at aerosoft and other vendors. I've been using it since it came out (and yes, I can see my house quite clearly). Combined with Kevin Burns' freeware Tucson photoreal scenery, it makes flying in central and southern AZ a real pleasure.
You might also try Ground Environment X (GEX), Replaces all of those annoying out-of-place textures.

Cool, can you post some screenshots?

paiken
July 12th, 2013, 20:37
It will be some time tomorrow before I can post pictures. I'm currently in the midst of re-installing FSX on it's own dedicated drive.

TuFun
July 12th, 2013, 20:43
It will be some time tomorrow before I can post pictures. I'm currently in the midst of re-installing FSX on it's own dedicated drive.

I've done the same using two Raptor hdd drives. Someday an SSD!

paiken
July 13th, 2013, 11:55
Comparison screen shots.

Vanilla FSX
^White Tank Mtns ^Camelback Mtn

Ultimate Terrain X USA

Ground Environment X North America

MegaScenery X Phoenix

DaveKDEN
July 13th, 2013, 12:45
Comparison screen shots.

Vanilla FSX
^White Tank Mtns ^Camelback Mtn

Ultimate Terrain X USA

Ground Environment X North America

MegaScenery X Phoenix

Thanks for the comparisons! Is the GEX screenshot using UTX as well (running side by side)?

paiken
July 13th, 2013, 12:55
Yes, I took screen shots as I added in each. I'm about to install the FlightBeam Sky Harbor add on, which blends perfectly with the Megascenery PHX. I'll post another screenie when I'm done.

DaveKDEN
July 13th, 2013, 12:59
Yes, I took screen shots as I added in each. I'm about to install the FlightBeam Sky Harbor add on, which blends perfectly with the Megascenery PHX. I'll post another screenie when I'm done.

Thanks. I like the look of GEX with UTX. I'm personally not a fan of photo scenery as I think it looks too "static." As such, I'm not a good candidate for Megascenery.

TheGrunt
July 13th, 2013, 13:09
I have couple of megascenery 2.0 regions myself and they are great. While they do have some buildings in the largest cities, they don't definitely have autogen. Every building there is, are hand placed and they are just few compared to proper autogen. Also, there are no trees, no seasons and no night textures as of yet (night textures should be on works, though). Airports, even the smaller ones have some buildings. I have Colorado, New Mexico and New York and first two are really good, NY not that much. For NY, producers are though seeking better aerial image set for it and offer free update at some point.

ME 2.0 is photogen at its best, but it has its limitations like every photogen has. Still, IMO best photogen available is MegaSceneryX SoCal.