PDA

View Full Version : Convert CFS2 to FSX or FS9

FSX68
July 11th, 2013, 12:55
I have been surfing the web and I cannot find any info on how to convert CFS2 to either FSX or FS9. There are a lot of blogs out there for doing it visa versa.

Can it be done?

Butcherbird17
July 11th, 2013, 16:39
I have searched around the web on this very question, always found the same.:isadizzy:
I know it can be done, as Roger-wilco-66 used some cfs2 models for his Solomon
1943 scenery that he converted to FSX (with permission to use). I would like to
learn how to do this as there are some great cfs2 models that could be used as AI
to populate the airfields that flew in this time period.
Hopefully someone in the know will see this thread and maybe point us in the right
direction or explain what tools are needed and how to go about it. I do have Gmax,
MCX, Photoshop installed just need the knowledge to get started.:kilroy:

Joe

Daube
July 12th, 2013, 01:16
For FS9 there's pretty much nothing to do, the CFS2 models will work quite well. In fact, the default CFS2 planes were part of my FS9 hangar (Corsair, Hellcat, Wildcat, Zero etc...)
For FSX however, it's more complex. Some CFS2 models, depending on which tool they were created with, are incompatible with FSX, which won't be able to load the model at all. It's not a texture problem, it's really with the MDL file format. And there's nothing that can be done about this, excepted if you have the source model and convert it to a FSX-compatible format.