PDA

View Full Version : AlacrityPC ???

VaporZ
January 13th, 2009, 01:42
AlacrityPC ???
http://alacritypc.kensalter.com/index.htm

Is it Safe ?
Do you have it ?
Is it really enhancing FSX general performance ?
Is there some specific tips to know about it ?

Thanks to share your experience !
:typing:
VaporZ

jmig
January 13th, 2009, 03:29
I have it and have not had any problems. It is a good way to automatically start a series of programs for FS.

I forget it is there.

harleyman
January 13th, 2009, 04:52
Its a great program if your system is slightly under powered for FSX as it will shut down any and all programs that can or do run in the background..It will even shut down your desktop shell ...He also provides excellent support for his products on his forums......

There is no harm at all....Its basically a DOS command with a good user interface that most of us do not know how to do... (DOS Command that is)

It has a small learning curb,but his forums provide all the answers and he is there daily...

cheezyflier
January 13th, 2009, 08:51
i wouldn't be able to use fsx as much as i do otherwise.
it's an awesome program, and for some nutty reason (i ain't complaining)
it's free:wave:

oakfloor
January 13th, 2009, 09:46
I downloaded this, and I still cannot fathom how to use it. good luck with it.

harleyman
January 13th, 2009, 10:39
I downloaded this, and I still cannot fathom how to use it. good luck with it.

This is Kens Quick start guide......
http://alacritypc.kensalter.com/quick_start.htm

Hey...Lets get real here...I used it and got it running all by myself...If I can do it anyone can....LOl :amen:

He also adds tons to our community,and has a Donation tab...I donated to the cause just cause he not only offers a great free product,but keeps a nice website going to help us all with it too....You just can't beat that for 10 bucks IMO

cheezyflier
January 13th, 2009, 13:07
Hey...Lets get real here...I used it and got it running all by myself...If I can do it anyone can....LOl :amen:

me and you both! :costumes:

He also adds tons to our community,and has a Donation tab...I donated to the cause just cause he not only offers a great free product,but keeps a nice website going to help us all with it too....You just can't beat that for 10 bucks IMO

:amen:

datter
March 1st, 2009, 12:50
I just now heard about this and thought I might give it a shot, until I saw a post from NickN somewhere basically saying it's hogwash. I'm running FSX fine and all as is, but of course being a nerd I want more so here I am.. continually looking for more. :) Is this something that a system such as that mentioned in my sig can benefit from? Did anyone using it actually notice an increase in FPS or smoothness?

noddy
March 1st, 2009, 12:55
It does not improve frame rates etc, all it does is shut down un-need background tasks to free up memory space.

harleyman
March 1st, 2009, 12:55
Well NickN can saw what he wants but there are tremendoes advantages in being able to shut down all background services and also the desk top shell( a robber too) with the click of the mouse....

Follow the link I posted above for his quich start thread...Once thats done you can enter in and close all tasks that run, and each one tells you what it does and if its safe to shut it down and restart it...:applause:

harleyman
March 1st, 2009, 13:01
It does not improve frame rates etc, all it does is shut down un-need background tasks to free up memory space.

Sorry..I disagree.... You have something running in the background its also in your CPU...You have enough running in the background and you are giving up more CPU power.....

So it stands to reason that it can free up some CPU for added frames, or at least help make it smoother...

It basically follows the *Black Viper* guides for safe Windows processes to shut down too..Along with print spoolers and many other unneeded tasks running...

But thats just my theory, and may not hold up in court...LOL :faint:

noddy
March 1st, 2009, 13:41
I have no idea, but it works that's all that counts.

SpaceWeevil
March 1st, 2009, 13:48
I used Alacrity PC for a bit when I was having problems with stutters. I found it dead easy to use and it certainly helped with smoothness - not particularly with FPS, but then smoothness is more important. However, since then I've reinstalled FSX following Nick N's installation, config & nHancer tutorials pretty much to the letter (see the tweaks section) and the improvement in performance has been so great that, for me, it's barely worth the hassle of waiting for Alacrity to do its thing. Just my 50p's worth (that's about 2 cents these days).

harleyman
March 1st, 2009, 14:31
It is however a great utility for those still with slightly underpowered systems to help get just a little more....

limjack
March 1st, 2009, 20:02
Just downloaded and up and running. Will have to test it with setting on high and see if I get the out of memory error again. Took a flight tonight and so far so good. I also need to tinker with some of the options and see what else I can turn off in the background.

Jim

SpaceWeevil
March 2nd, 2009, 04:41
It is however a great utility for those still with slightly underpowered systems to help get just a little more....

No problems with that - every bit of memory or processor time freed up must have some effect.

harleyman
March 2nd, 2009, 04:45
No problems with that - every bit of memory or processor time freed up must have some effect.

10-4 on that...

Todays CPU's are strong....and most Duo's can handle background and game at the same time...

Then there is i7....Never need it for that I would think...

Bone
March 2nd, 2009, 04:49
It didn't make a difference in the way FSX ran for me.

SpaceWeevil
March 2nd, 2009, 04:59
I guess if you don't have a lot of services running then it wouldn't be as noticeable? On mine the amount of nonsense running by default, never mind the Vista eye candy, was mind boggling. Better out than in - quite a lot of the Nick N and similar tutorials involves tuning Windows before you even start on FSX.

datter
March 2nd, 2009, 05:04
I almost tried this last night, but ended up flying instead for a change instead of tinkering... which was nice. As it stands I have FSX running on three of my four cores which presumably leaves the 4th core for system stuff (plus if I have any third party business running I assign it to that extra core). Strangely, FSX runs smoother on three cores instead of all four anyway. I'd heard that on another forum, and was surprised to find out it's apparently true, at least in my experience. As said, I think it has something to do with the system having that extra core for it's own background stuff so I'm guessing this AlacrityPC stuff won't be of much use for my situation anyway.

cheezyflier
March 2nd, 2009, 06:05
anytime you can free up resources it's a good thing. those backround processes don't just take up processor , they also use other parts of your system if they are running. try it out, and you don't see a difference, un-install it. it's really simple to use. i would be surprised if you didn't see an improvement

Navy Chief
March 2nd, 2009, 06:10
Hey....If I can do it anyone can

You give me hope!

NC

Bjoern
March 2nd, 2009, 11:08
Well NickN can saw what he wants but there are tremendoes advantages in being able to shut down all background services and also the desk top shell( a robber too) with the click of the mouse....

You can do that yourself as well.

Guess why .bat files were invented...

harleyman
March 2nd, 2009, 12:25
You can do that yourself as well.

Guess why .bat files were invented...

Thats basically what this is ,but many people do not know how to do that, plus it has all the info for what is safe to shut down and what is not..Just like Black Viper....

Is it that hard to just let something go?:faint:

Bjoern
March 3rd, 2009, 15:32
Is it that hard to just let something go?:faint:

A PC is like your car or your wife. If you don't know enough about them and things go wrong, you'll have to take them to someone else in order to get them fixed. And this could turn out unnecessarily expensive. :costumes:

harleyman
March 3rd, 2009, 15:39
A PC is like your car or your wife. If you don't know enough about them and things go wrong, you'll have to take them to someone else in order to get them fixed. And this could turn out unnecessarily expensive. :costumes:

I just get another woman........

But what is expensive about this program to install.... Seems to me that if you are flying FSX and have a failure of some kind...Most know how to reinstall the OS and go again...So ya lost me there......

guzler
March 4th, 2009, 00:57
Hi guys,

I have recently been using a program called Advanced Systemcare. It does all sorts such as registry clean, remove spyware, optimisation etc and now has a module called Game Booster that does this at the click of a button. Highly recommend it. You can try the freeware for limited functionability, but the payware is excellent. My computer boots up much faster now, less errors as well.

Check it out...

http://www.iobit.com/

harleyman
March 4th, 2009, 03:10
Guzler... That actually seems to be a great program....

I have it on my test computer and it seems to do a great job...

It also seems that what it does to keep your load times and boot in times fast is exaztly what CCleaner does too..

I only have the freeware version, and I must say, it seems to be a set and forget app for sure..And IOBIT makes great apps..Been using their defragger for years...

guzler
March 4th, 2009, 09:36
Hsrley, I have been running the freeware for a while, but after some problems recently (turned out to be a vid driver in the end), I upgraded, it has lots more and does a deep registry clean too.I don't normally go for payware stuff, but no regrets on this one.

Bjoern
March 5th, 2009, 14:59
Most know how to reinstall the OS and go again...So ya lost me there......

That's where the "study your PC" factor kicks in.

I find googling your problem always a good start. If there are terms used you do not understand google them as well and so on and so on.

With this method, most problems can be solven in hours instead of days.