PDA

View Full Version : Request for information from Navy personel

Firekitten
July 7th, 2013, 12:15
Hi folks,

I'm looking for information from former or current serving navy personal, preferably command, or bridge personnel.
I'm writing a new novel (Which while its in progress will be posted on the outhouse for critique) set during the second world war. The early stages will take place aboard a British Town Class Cruiser off the west coast of Africa. While most experience won't be directly relevant I'm sure, (unless we have any ww2 vets here!) naval procedures and traditions haven't changed much in the last 100 years, so any advice is welcomed.

Anyone able to help out, please PM me, and we can talk. (Any assistance will be credited)

Many thanks!
Rachael

CWOJackson
July 7th, 2013, 13:07
Suggest you refine your request to bridge personnel from the UK navy; there is and was a world of difference between the organization and operations of the Royal Navy (and it's affiliates) and the U.S. Navy.

Firekitten
July 7th, 2013, 13:13
You are correct... to an extent. A lot of US navy traditions came over from the Royal Navy, and what I'm interested in is not tactical procedures or methods of operation, more interaction between bridge personnel. Yes its different, but every little helps. If there are any former Royal Navy folk around... perfect, if not... anything I can get adds to the informational pool.

Motormouse
July 8th, 2013, 01:10
One of your better sources , in lieu of RN members here would be the books by Douglas Reeman, himself a WWII RN officer.

http://www.douglasreeman.com/About%20the%20Author/default%20-%20AbouttheAuthor.html

hope this helps

ttfn

Pete

TeaSea
July 8th, 2013, 04:28
I'm Army, so all I remember about the Navy is "Splicing the Main Brace".

I do have that down though.

CWOJackson
July 8th, 2013, 04:38
One of your better sources , in lieu of RN members here would be the books by Douglas Reeman, himself a WWII RN officer.

http://www.douglasreeman.com/About%20the%20Author/default%20-%20AbouttheAuthor.html

hope this helps

ttfn

Pete

An excellent source and the appropriate time frame when the "wavy navy" played such an important part of the RN.