PDA

View Full Version : Acute Diverticulitus

OleBoy
July 3rd, 2013, 09:18
The doctor released me for the time being. I was in the hospital for nearly 3 days. All last week (beginning the 27th) I was suffering from what seemed to be intestinal bloating. As the week progressed the symptoms had gotten worse. Sunday the 30th my daughter took me out for a late Fathers Day brunch to one of our local Chinese restaurants. Like any other time our family visited, we ordered the meals that can be divided with 2-4 people. The meal arrived at the table. I was famished. I managed to eat the egg role, then immediately after I started getting the most intense pelvic/abdominal pain. My daughter and I boxed the meal and took it with us.

At 1:00 am Monday morning I awoke to acute pelvic pain. This took me to the hospital emergency room. They gave me Dilated to curb the pain while they took blood and performed a CT Scan. This is when they noticed a perforated colon that had been ruptured for quite sometime. Acute Diverticulitus. My body (I was told) did a good job at fighting the infection and it had walled it off to what appeared to be a huge abscess.

For the time I am home. Although surgery is eminent.

Ickie
July 3rd, 2013, 09:34
I know your pain, I too suffer from Diverticulitus, and you are never cured of this, about once a year I am struck down with this. I never had a rupture but it takes me 5 days in bed to rid myself of this pain.

Good luck on your recovery.

Craig Taylor
July 3rd, 2013, 09:44
My father-in-law went through that about 11 years ago. They had to put him on some serious intravenous antibiotics for about a month or so, and then they took about 8 inches off his colon. He fully recovered, thankfully, and is still going strong at 74-ish.

Here's hope for a speedy recovery! :salute:

kilo delta
July 3rd, 2013, 10:01
The doctor released me for the time being. I was in the hospital for nearly 3 days. All last week (beginning the 27th) I was suffering from what seemed to be intestinal bloating. As the week progressed the symptoms had gotten worse. Sunday the 30th my daughter took me out for a late Fathers Day brunch to one of our local Chinese restaurants. Like any other time our family visited, we ordered the meals that can be divided with 2-4 people. The meal arrived at the table. I was famished. I managed to eat the egg role, then immediately after I started getting the most intense pelvic/abdominal pain. My daughter and I boxed the meal and took it with us.

At 1:00 am Monday morning I awoke to acute pelvic pain. This took me to the hospital emergency room. They gave me Dilated to curb the pain while they took blood and performed a CT Scan. This is when they noticed a perforated colon that had been ruptured for quite sometime. Acute Diverticulitus. My body (I was told) did a good job at fighting the infection and it had walled it off to what appeared to be a huge abscess.

For the time I am home. Although surgery is eminent.

Sorry to hear this,Oleboy. I'd never heard of that condition before now...sounds painful.

Keep safe and hope everything goes okay for you.

Jagdflieger
July 3rd, 2013, 12:36
Ouch! My best wishes for a speedy recovery and successful surgery.

My father, now 90, was just released from the hospital with the same ailment. He's doing well now and dodged the bullet as far as surgery.

Panther_99FS
July 3rd, 2013, 13:05
Yikes
My father also suffers from this too...:icon_eek:

Daveroo
July 3rd, 2013, 13:42
wow..im so glad your body fought off any major septic infection and we still have you with us!!!,,a perforated colon/bowel and be deadly....i hope you get treated correctly and timely and you get back in tiptop shape quickly.

Dangerousdave26
July 3rd, 2013, 15:19
OUCH

Concentrate on getting well.

OleBoy
July 3rd, 2013, 20:58
I'll say this much. Many times over the years I heard the term of "crap out a basketball" as being relevant to a woman having a baby. No idea if what I experienced is even close, but OMG the pain was excruciating. I'm real apprehensive of what I eat currently. :kilroy:

JoeW
July 8th, 2013, 05:45
Look at it this way .......... You'll get a FREE zipper !! I have that too. I passed out twice at home and I'm single, because of the pain. This is not to taken lightly. It may go on for a year.