PDA

View Full Version : WIP: Short Shetland

PutPut
June 27th, 2013, 13:44
The Short Shetland was a very large seaplane designed for long range patrol amd possible civilian service. It flew most of it's test flights in 1945. Two prototypes were built and it flew with reasonable performance, but, alas, with the war coming to an end there were no takers. It was the largest seaplane produced in the UK at it's time. It was only surpassed by the Saunders Roe SR-45 which came a few years later. The exterior of this project is 95% complete and I'm just starting on the VC. I should note that almost all the data I have on this plane came from the Feb. 2013 issue of Aeroplane magazine.

Best, Paul

Sundog
June 27th, 2013, 13:58
And a good issue it was! I'm glad you're making this as I think it's a very cool looking seaplane. Nice work and thanks for the preview. :)

burcham8
June 27th, 2013, 14:08
I can't wait to try that one out...:guinness::guinness::guinness:

Marc

TARPSBird
June 27th, 2013, 22:50
Paul, you really come up with some good ones. Looking forward to flying the Shetland when you have it completed. :salute:

Dimus
June 28th, 2013, 10:42
I have that issue too and I remember the pictures. I was amazed at the height at which the pilot sat and how it would feel to control a plane from there. Looks like you have got the shape right. Great work!

molyned
June 28th, 2013, 11:32
Perhaps you've seen the comprehensive review of the aircraft in 'Flight' magazine May 17th 1945, complete with an indistinct photo of the cockpit and a cutaway drawing.
This can be accessed via the Flightglobal.com archives in the 'history' section.
Cheers
Dave M(oly)