PDA

View Full Version : UpDate on my Haley cat

Daveroo
June 21st, 2013, 13:40
its not good,sometime back, i took her in to have her medically checked...just a routine check up as far as i was concerned ,and to do a little trim on her backside as she is a longhaired cat and her butt was getting dingleberries and they would drop off at night and id find presents on my floor in the mornings..not fun in bare feet at 5 am in the dark!! :icon_eek:.. well as i sat waiting the vet came out and told me she had a large tumor on her leg,and he gave her a month at the most...then he back tracked and said maybe it was an absess.
well shes been getting worse and worse..lost a ton of wieght,and i thought she was starving herself because she couldnt chew hard dry food anymore...changed her to wet caned food and the diarea came ,been letting her out to have the "runs" and shes been getting lost..but allways staying in the yard.
today she disappeard...was just gone..vanished...i was convinced she'd gone off to die somewhere...my mom was crying and upset so we had gone all over the neighborhood looking for her...at one point i happened to see a placer county water agency truck and a red SUV stopped at a dangerous intersection at the top of our hill,i had thought they'd had a crash..but both women got in their vehicles and drove off....i was upset about not finding haley and went home..about twenty minutes later..moms doorbell rang..and the PCWA woman was at the door..with a pic on her cell of haley..asked mom if she knew this cat..she had just taken it to the local vets office and dropped it off..it had been in the middle of the intersection...one of the worst in the area...walking in circles....

so we rushed down there and Laura :engel016:....a hottie if i dont mind saying im in love :cool:..brought her out ..said they had trimed some matted fur so i said go ahead and trim it all off....91 bucks later...see pics...but the vet had a fast look again while haley was under sedation and she has small tumors all over her belly..Laura told me the name of the cancer..but i dont recall it...i guess i didnt want to hear it?...but shes deffinantly sick..and her days are numbered...shes NOT suffering now so im not going to put her down yet...im hoping she will just go in her sleep one night...have to wait that out..but shes not in pain..she is eating again..uses her box..and likes being loved...

89017 her's is nekeds...

89018 pay no attention to the date..this was last monday ,mom cant change the date on her camera anymore...she dropped it and shes just lucky it take pics.....been stuck on that date since...lol

Navy Chief
June 21st, 2013, 14:21
Dave,

It just isn't fair that they can't live as long as us, is it? All we can do is love them as much as possible, and thank God we have them as long as we do. NC

ColoKent
June 21st, 2013, 14:44
...this breaks my heart...we have a 12-year old black lab named Indie that is in pain from hip displasia-- and the sad thing is , she is mentally like a puppy-- just in pain a lot. We're giving her accupuncture treatments (she tolerates it really well and for about 6 months it helped alot)....I'm just glad to hear that so far your baby-cat apparently isn't suffering. We'll keep her in our thoughts!

Kent

Gdavis101
June 21st, 2013, 15:16
Its hard watching them go but you have to cherish the time you have left and the time you have had with her. After Bo died of cancer, I found a picture I took of him a week before we took him into the vet to have him put to sleep and couldn't believe the difference in pictures that were from just this last January.. He looked terrible, the tumor was getting worse and far more progressive than it had been in the last two years, though he was still at a relatively healthy weight you could tell he was considerably weaker and not himself anymore. I caught myself second guessing my decision that day because I would tell myself, maybe he will come back and it didn't help that we had to wait until 2:30 in the afternoon to take him in.. I wanted another chance, another day.. But, in the end it was selfish of me to even consider putting him through another miserable day just so I could be with him some more. I was there until the end and held him close until he went to sleep.

Cancer is terrible, both in humans and animals! I have had one other dog that died of Pancreas cancer when she was only 4 and it was terrible to just watch what it did to her.

Cherish the time you have left and always remember the good times.

dmaloof
June 22nd, 2013, 17:25
how old is she and did you always feed her daily hard dried food? i hear that the dry food causes kidney failure. my last cat died from kidney failure at 9 yrs and fed her mostly dry food which i did not know until i searched web.

Daveroo
June 22nd, 2013, 19:40
shes 17,and yes..she refused to eat wet food or canned at all over the years..would just walk away from it...but she eats the wet now..

dmaloof
June 22nd, 2013, 20:30
oh, that old. My new cat was put on wet food from day 1 and luvs it. The dry food dos not have moisture which cats need. Just giving water is not enough. Dental health is also important so i give her dry treats and put mouthwash or cet in her water as a secondary defense. My last cat developed gum infection too so i make dental a priority besides seeing the vet. they need a daily regimen just like humans for dental health. Good sign your cat is eating again though.

Quicksand
June 22nd, 2013, 20:38
Reading your words made me cry without shame Daveroo. Give Haley a hug from me, and know you both are in my prayers.

Daveroo
June 23rd, 2013, 18:53
this is hard for me to type,mostly due to the fact she is sitting here next to me on the desk purring and begging for pets..which she is getting..but one of my moms friends..as it turns out..i had no idea of this..is a animal psychiatrist ,or psychologist, but she had a look at haley today and told me we are fooling ourselves..that she is in fact in pain and suffering...so its been decided to have her made more comfortable...ya know what i mean...im going to pay for the deed on my care credit account..and my folks have offered to pay for creamations..then were going to bury her in the backyard somewhere and plant a plant or one of those year round flowering flowers over the top with a marker from harriet carter or someplace...she has been pee'n..but hasnt had a BM for about 4 days...just farts and a rat sized pellet comes out...TMI i know...but..ive got to vent....im pretty upset...shes been my life for 17 years...im not proud of this..but ive gotten into two fist fights over the years protecting her...one a girl my nephew knew kicked her..and i yelled at the girl..and her boyfriend cussed at me and threw a punch...the was the last one he ever threw at me...and the other was a cousin who "hates cats" but loves dog..haley used to go camping with me..and mark saw haley and sic'd his dog on her..IN my rv..so i kicked marks ass.....hes not spoken to me since,there was another time with him..i had a tent back then..i woke early morning to the sound of rocks hitting the ground,turned out..marks dog had tree'd a local raccoon,and mark was throwing rocks at it trying to kill it...so i picked up a couple hand full of rocks and started pelting mark....then we got into a huge fight...i walked away...mark didnt...ya think he woulda learned...

Quicksand
June 24th, 2013, 06:27
Daveroo, my heart and prayer goes out to you and your Haley... Its never easy making the tough decisions when it comes to our kids, even our furry ones. Please know we are here for you as you face this painful situation...