PDA

View Full Version : The Desolation of Smaug Trailer

Eoraptor1
June 21st, 2013, 12:13
I'm hoping no one's already posted this. I know there are nerds here. Anyone interested in seeing a big-a** DRAGON!!!???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnaojlfdUbs

I haven't seen this trailer in the theaters yet, and I've been to a good number of movies this Spring.

JAMES

Whitehawk
June 22nd, 2013, 01:33
This gonna be goooood!

Dangerousdave26
June 22nd, 2013, 10:43
Me 2

This is another great movie by Peter Jackson and Company

On a side note it may look like there is a strong deviation fro the book here with this movie but Tolkien himself was rewriting the hobbit before he died. The hobbit was never part of the larger tale of the elves that he was writing. It just somehow organically inserted its self into the tale known as the Silmarillion.

stiz
June 22nd, 2013, 21:04
am i the only one who thinks the dragons to big? :engel016:

Eoraptor1
June 23rd, 2013, 06:09
Me 2

This is another great movie by Peter Jackson and Company

On a side note it may look like there is a strong deviation fro the book here with this movie but Tolkien himself was rewriting the hobbit before he died. The hobbit was never part of the larger tale of the elves that he was writing. It just somehow organically inserted its self into the tale known as the Silmarillion.

There are several deviations. The red-haired she-elf was created especially for the film. She is called Tauriel, and is portrayed by Evangeline Lily. She's a "young" elf of a mere 600 years and is therefore somewhat impulsive. Lily describes her as a "passionate, totally ruthless killer". Legolas isn't mentioned by name in The Hobbit but it's probable he was present during the events of the book as his father, Thranduil, is king of the Northern Mirkwood elves. Radagast the Brown doesn't appear at all in The Hobbit, but figures prominently in the movie version. He does appear in The Fellowship of the Ring doing many of the same things he does in the film version of The Hobbit, but is omitted completely from the film version of Fellowship.

JAMES

Odie
June 25th, 2013, 12:20
Hobbit Central: http://the-hobbit-movie.com/

On a semi-related note, I listened to the soundtrack for the 1970s 90-minute animated version of THE HOBBIT (made for TV) this weekend. The soundtrack basically being the entire
movie, dialouge and all. Still think John Huston's (Gandalf) and Richard Boone (Smaug) voice-overs made the movie.

That said, I'm really, really, looking forward to the next two parts and the eventual release of the extended DVDs.

Eoraptor1
June 26th, 2013, 06:16
Hobbit Central: http://the-hobbit-movie.com/

On a semi-related note, I listened to the soundtrack for the 1970s 90-minute animated version of THE HOBBIT (made for TV) this weekend. The soundtrack basically being the entire
movie, dialouge and all. Still think John Huston's (Gandalf) and Richard Boone (Smaug) voice-overs made the movie.

That said, I'm really, really, looking forward to the next two parts and the eventual release of the extended DVDs.

I loved that Rankin-Bass animated version of The Hobbit. I thought just for what it was, an animated feature suitable for children, it was very well done, and it stands up well today. I have the entire feature on disc. I didn't care for the R-B version of The Return of the King. I felt they simply bit off much more than they could chew with that one. What I'm looking forward to most is seeing Smaug the Golden. I'm also interested in how Sherlock Holmes is going to voice him. There are multiple speaking animals in Tolkien's books, but so far Peter Jackson hasn't allowed any of them to talk onscreen. When I was a yoot I loved Dragonslayer, which is another movie I think has held up very well over the years. I also liked the dragons in Reign of Fire. I was watching this the other day and thinking "If I had seen this when I was 11 years old I'd have thought it was the greatest movie ever made."

JAMES

Odie
June 26th, 2013, 08:17
Same here, James. Seeing a CGI Smaug in the flesh, so to speak, will be worth the price of admission. Dragonslayer hit the mark too, with me. Lots of Middle Earth goodness to come!

Eoraptor1
June 26th, 2013, 08:47
Same here, James. Seeing a CGI Smaug in the flesh, so to speak, will be worth the price of admission. Dragonslayer hit the mark too, with me. Lots of Middle Earth goodness to come!

See if you agree with this, Odie. To me the most real, most human part of Dragonslayer, was right at the end where you see all the various interests line up to take the credit.

JAMES

hairyspin
June 26th, 2013, 10:22
Enjoy the film when it comes out, y'all. I don't see how you take a single short book and make three 3-hour films out of it. Re-read The Hobbit recently and enjoyed the fun of a good tale well told, but Peter Jackson's treatment is too dark (as well as long) for me.

Maybe I'm not a proper Middle Earth fan.

aeronca1
June 27th, 2013, 11:33
Maybe I'm not a proper Middle Earth fan.

You probably are! Jackson, in my opinion, has made several good movies, but none that are anywhere near as good as the books. The addition of characters, the rewriting of the story in many places, the omissions of some important characters, etc., ruined the Lord of the Rings films for me. I have not even bothered to go see the Hobbit part 1 as yet and likely won't.

HouseHobbit
June 27th, 2013, 15:25
I like many of my kind, have been a reader and follower of the Baggins clan for many years..
I didn't expect the movies to follow the books.
and they don't..

Pure screenplays from books are rare indeed..

This last effort I have enjoyed very much.
But perhaps calling it "The Unexpected Journey" wasn't wholly accurate..

Perhaps "The Silmarillion and The Hobbit" would have been more correct..

I do look forward to the next one, but I doubt they will ever get the stories of my family correct in their screenplays of this..
Pity too..