PDA

View Full Version : Default Cessna C172 issues

WarHorse47
June 21st, 2013, 07:01
Ever since I installed the ORBX PNW scenery and their freeware for Bowerman Field (KHQM), I've been struggling to solve a texture issue with the default Cessna C172. Bear with me a minute while I describe the issue, and my attempts to solve it.

The Bowerman Field scenery has both static and AI aircraft which includes 4 or 5 of the default Cessna's. Whenever I fly into Bowerman, these Cessnas are White instead of their respective texture colors. Sometimes the textures are there, but for the most part they are white.

The default C172 as you may know has six texture folders. The main texture folder holds the primary textures for all the other textures, except for the texture.G1000 which has its own set of textures (yet still has a texture.cfg which references the main texture folder).

The last aircraft entry [fltsim.5] references the main texture folder, and is listed as ui_variation=" Red, Gold". However, the thumbnail and the textures are white, not "Red, Gold" and is the texture I'm seeing at Bowerman most the time.

I'm baffled as to why this is happening. Anybody know what is going on?

Thanks in advance.

srburger
June 21st, 2013, 14:45
Warhorse,

The so-called "Red and Gold" 172 is that way for everyone. It doesn't have anything to do with ORBX.

If I recall correctly, there is another default airplane with a texture that is similarly all-white, but I don't remember which one it is.

ncooper
June 21st, 2013, 18:30
The problem is caused by MS having used the "texture" folder as both a fallback texture folder
and a repaint texture folder.

I believe it can be fixed by copying the "texture" folder to another location, renaming the copy to "texture.5"
and then copying the renamed folder back into the Cessna 172 folder.
Once this is done, the aircraft.cfg entry should be changed thus

[fltsim.5]
title=Cessna Skyhawk 172SP
sim=Cessna172SP
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=5

The Red/Gold aircraft will still be white, as above but you should now see the correct
repaints as referenced by OrbX.

Regards,
Nick

WarHorse47
June 21st, 2013, 19:35
The problem is caused by MS having used the "texture" folder as both a fallback texture folder
and a repaint texture folder.

I believe it can be fixed by copying the "texture" folder to another location, renaming the copy to "texture.5"
and then copying the renamed folder back into the Cessna 172 folder.
Once this is done, the aircraft.cfg entry should be changed thus

[fltsim.5]
title=Cessna Skyhawk 172SP
sim=Cessna172SP
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=5

The Red/Gold aircraft will still be white, as above but you should now see the correct
repaints as referenced by OrbX.

Regards,
NickThat is what I thought as well. One of the first 'fixes' I tried was just as you described, but the problem persisted.

At the moment the only fix that seems to work is to remove [fltsim.5] from the aircraft.cfg. It doesn't appear that its called as an AI aircraft by the ORBX freeware.

I should add that I've been trying to figure this out for some time. The odd thing is that sometimes the textures appear, sometimes they default to white. There is some kind of illogical algorithm at play that is causing this to occur. Perhaps the Cessna 172 was not considered to be used as AI aircraft?