PDA

View Full Version : An EFFECTS question...

rdaniell
June 20th, 2013, 07:56
What parameters do I need to change in the default fx_landing light effect to get it brighter. I gave it a try on my own but, without knowing which ones to change, I didn't succeed. That's the effect I attached to the "goose neck" scenery object I posted earlier. BTW, I copied and renamed the default so I wouldn't mess up all my actual landing lights.

Thanks in advance for any help.

RD

MCDesigns
June 20th, 2013, 08:50
There is a whole section in the SDK on creating effects. You could try this from the SDK Light = 0/1 If this is set to 1, the effect is treated as a light source. For example beacons and fireworks have this value set to 1. The default is 0.

rdaniell
June 20th, 2013, 13:23
There is a whole section in the SDK on creating effects. You could try this from the SDK Light = 0/1 If this is set to 1, the effect is treated as a light source. For example beacons and fireworks have this value set to 1. The default is 0.

Thanks for your response Michael but, I'm not trying to create a new effect file. All I would like to do is get the existing fx_landing effect file to be a little brighter. Many unsuccessful :isadizzy:attempts so far.

RD

MCDesigns
June 20th, 2013, 13:36
Thanks for your response Michael but, I'm not trying to create a new effect file. All I would like to do is get the existing fx_landing effect file to be a little brighter. Many unsuccessful :isadizzy:attempts so far. RD Understood, but if you were ever to share your work, you would need a new effect file so you don't change everyone elses. In addition, the SDK info on creating a new effect might have held the answer to what you were trying to do. I have taken existing effects, opened them in notepad, changed parameters and saved as a new effect.

rdaniell
June 20th, 2013, 14:06
Understood, but if you were ever to share your work, you would need a new effect file so you don't change everyone elses. In addition, the SDK info on creating a new effect might have held the answer to what you were trying to do. I have taken existing effects, opened them in notepad, changed parameters and saved as a new effect.

Michael, that's exactly what I was trying to do. I made a copy of the default fx_landing effect file and am attempting to change the brightness of the renamed file. I did not set out to change the brightness of my airplane's landing lights. I have used this effect file successfully on a couple outdoor light poles and just wanted the illumination to be brighter from them.

And being that I have a fairly wide lazy streak, I thought I could save a lot of time and effort by asking here at the Outhouse if someone could tell me which parameters control the illumination intensity or brightness. If you have that information available in your memory bank, I'd really appreciate your sharing it with me.

Should anyone else reading this post have the answer to my question, I wouldn't mind if I got more than one answer. I doubt that Michael would mind.

Thank you.

RD

Crash_Hawk
June 20th, 2013, 14:20
Are you referring to the default landing light splash on the ground? If you are then you need to modify spotlight.bmp or spotlight.dds in your texture folder. The default landing lights draw the splash on the ground from that texture file.

Hope this helps!

Jonathan

rdaniell
June 20th, 2013, 14:30
Are you referring to the default landing light splash on the ground? If you are then you need to modify spotlight.bmp or spotlight.dds in your texture folder. The default landing lights draw the splash on the ground from that texture file. Hope this helps!
Jonathan

Yes, that is what I'm referring to. What shows on the ground. I've just been struggling through the SDK on effects and didn't find any entry that specifically mentioned intensity of illumination. I'm sure I was not using the right words to express what I'm looking to do here. RogerWilco has already explained to me some months ago that FSX doesn't actually emitt light. It is really as you state, a bmp projected upon the ground in the case of a landing light.

I'll make another copy of fx_landing effect file and change the texture file to spotlight.bmp. We'll see what happens.

RD

rdaniell
June 20th, 2013, 15:07
OK. Still NO JOY from trying to change the fx effects file. Everything I've tried by making changes to the fx effect file has failed. Heck! Even when all I do is make a copy of fx_landing and rename it to fx_landing1 and then use that file for my attachment in MDX fails. Put the original fx_landing effect file back as the attachment and I have light on the ground.

I did find an alternative solution, at least it works for me. I simply attached a second fx_landing effect file at the same position and orientation on the object.
The image on the ground is a little brighter now. I also found out how to make the ground image appear to be different amounts of light by making changes to the orientation of the attachment fx_landing effect file. I'm attaching a screen shot which I hope shows what I've done. Of course the three different light amounts have different scenery object names.

RD