PDA

View Full Version : Prop Fix for Wozzas P-51 '

FSX68
June 19th, 2013, 07:52
Looking for a prop fix for Wozza's P-51 that was developed for FS2004. It all ports to FSX OK except for the prop which could use a better spinning prop texture.

Link to his P-51's

http://www.gjsmith.net/Textures/P-51D.htm

FSX68
June 19th, 2013, 12:05
For all of you people that read this thread, ( and I can see who did) I want you to know that one kind soul responded with help that I appreciated.
It's nice to know that when you are on the side of the freeway and out of gas that some one will stop and help while others look at you and just drive on by.

Such is life....

huub vink
June 19th, 2013, 12:21
I have seen your request, but I have nearly all native FSX Warbirdsim P-51s installed so there is no real reason for me to install Wozza's FS9 P-51 in FSX. As most of our members live on the other side of the pond (at least for me), most of our members haven't seen your request yet.

So I suggest to wait for at least 12 more hours to see whether there is somebody able to help you. If not I will install Wozza's Stang (tomorrow) and do an attempt to create something.

Remember; patience is a virtue....... and help is something which is offered, but there is is no right to demand it.

Cheers,
Huub

FSX68
June 19th, 2013, 13:26
I have seen your request, but I have nearly all native FSX Warbirdsim P-51s installed so there is no real reason for me to install Wozza's FS9 P-51 in FSX. As most of our members live on the other side of the pond (at least for me), most of our members haven't seen your request yet.

So I suggest to wait for at least 12 more hours to see whether there is somebody able to help you. If not I will install Wozza's Stang (tomorrow) and do an attempt to create something.

Remember; patience is a virtue....... and help is something which is offered, but there is is no right to demand it.

Cheers,
Huub

Thanks for your encouraging words. What you say makes since (folks living on the other side of the pond etc.) I did receive a PM with a Banana Bob file attached and it seems a bit better then the original. I really wasn't demanding anything, just what I was feeling at the time when I made my rant.

So I am OK and just glad to be looking at the right side of grass and still vertical :icon_lol:

huub vink
June 19th, 2013, 13:33
I'm glad the BananaBob prop is already an improvement. Darkening the alphas will reduce the problem further, but doesn't fully solve it.

Huub

FSX68
June 19th, 2013, 13:54
I'm glad the BananaBob prop is already an improvement. Darkening the alphas will reduce the problem further, but doesn't fully solve it.

Huub

So, how do I do that? :engel016: Is there a better prop texture that I don't know about?

huub vink
June 19th, 2013, 14:06
In short open the texture file in Martin Wright's DTX1 bitmap manipulator and export the alpha channel as a bmp file. Darken this bmp file in a photo editing program and import it again in the original bitmap. Make back-ups and adjust the shade of the bmp file until you are satisfied.

A trick of 5 minutes, not more when you are familiar with the process. It might need a bit longer when you need to learn the process (but make sure to make back-ups!).

Martin Wrights Graphic tools can be found here: http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/ (you will need DTXbmp).

Good luck,
Huub

FSX68
June 19th, 2013, 14:17
In short open the texture file in Martin Wright's DTX1 bitmap manipulator and export the alpha channel as a bmp file. Darken this bmp file in a photo editing program and import it again in the original bitmap. Make back-ups and adjust the shade of the bmp file until you are satisfied.

A trick of 5 minutes, not more when you are familiar with the process. It might need a bit longer when you need to learn the process (but make sure to make back-ups!).

Martin Wrights Graphic tools can be found here: http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/ (you will need DTXbmp).

Good luck,
Huub

Thank Huub for your help. I'll give it a go. I may need to learn the process but it is a tool that I will use to test the results. Thanks again :salute:

FSX68
June 19th, 2013, 15:23

Good luck,
Huub

OK The prop file IS a bmp file, so why would I export something that already is a bmp? And to darken it? why not lighten it? I'm a little flummoxed about this....

huub vink
June 20th, 2013, 00:00
The texture for the prop is indeed a bitmap, but an extended bitmap. It contains a second (invisible) layer called the alpha layer or alpha channel. Depending on the coding in the model file it can control the amount of transparency, gloss or shine (reflection). In general the darker the alpha shade the stronger the effect will be. SO for transparency the darker the alpha shade the more transparent your prop texture will be.

In this case the alpha layer controls the amount of transparency. As you can't work with this layer in the extended file you have to export and save it as a separate bitmap be fore you can make any changes. After you have changed it you need to import it again in the original extended bitmap.

Alpha channels need to be in grey scale and if they are not dtx1 will convert them.

Cheers,
Huub

FSX68
June 20th, 2013, 03:50
The texture for the prop is indeed a bitmap, but an extended bitmap. It contains a second (invisible) layer called the alpha layer or alpha channel. Depending on the coding in the model file it can control the amount of transparency, gloss or shine (reflection). In general the darker the alpha shade the stronger the effect will be. SO for transparency the darker the alpha shade the more transparent your prop texture will be.

In this case the alpha layer controls the amount of transparency. As you can't work with this layer in the extended file you have to export and save it as a separate bitmap be fore you can make any changes. After you have changed it you need to import it again in the original extended bitmap.

Alpha channels need to be in grey scale and if they are not dtx1 will convert them..

Cheers,
Huub

OK, I've exported the bmp as Alpha Channel bmp. Now I need to know what is a good program to darken this exported alpha channel bmp? I have photoshop but I have been googling "darken pictures"
and only find info that is confusing. Any Ideas? Once I have "darkened" this file, I can do what's left but importing. Sorry to be a pain.

Roger
June 20th, 2013, 04:21
OK, I've exported the bmp as Alpha Channel bmp. Now I need to know what is a good program to darken this exported alpha channel bmp? I have photoshop but I have been googling "darken pictures"
and only find info that is confusing. Any Ideas? Once I have "darkened" this file, I can do what's left but importing. Sorry to be a pain.

I use Irfanview. It's free but works well in a limited way. I would darken the alpha to -180. This makes the prop almost invisible to avoid the prop-behind- the-clouds issue.

fxsttcb
June 20th, 2013, 04:28
and only find info that is confusing. Any Ideas? Once I have "darkened" this file, I can do what's left but importing. Sorry to be a pain.I use PaintDotNet(free), but photoshop should be similar. Select all, Brightness/Contrast, drag it darker. To keep it from becoming completely transparent, I also use "Levels" and set the min at "8".
Save it, then use DXTbmp, Alpha/Import Alpha Channel...Save...Don

FSX68
June 20th, 2013, 04:44
I use Irfanview. It's free but works well in a limited way. I would darken the alpha to -180. This makes the prop almost invisible to avoid the prop-behind- the-clouds issue.

Roger,

I have and use that program mainly to resize photos, How do I use that feature you speak of? What do I open within Ifranview to do this?

Thanks in advance :salute:

huub vink
June 20th, 2013, 05:01
You could also use one of the simple photo editing programs included in Microsoft Office when you have this. Photo editor for Office 2003 before service pack 3 and Microsoft Office Picture Manager, for all office version after. Just adjust contrast and brightness until you have a satisfying result.

Cheers,
Huub

edit: As promised I downloaded and installed the model. I looked at the prop texture and came to the conclusion the job is perhaps a bit more difficult I than originally thought. Wozza used this texture for several transparent items in the model. I contains a part which textures the slow moving prop and a separate part for the fast moving prop. There is a part for the gun sights (???) and a part most likely for the internal texture of the canopy.

A this might be perhaps a bit too much f a challenge for a starting texturer as yourself, I have created a new alpha layer. As I didn't want to distort the much softer lines I gave the blurred propeller I saved it in 32-bits format.

When you want to have it is attached, when you want to find out for yourself how the mysterious alpha layers work (advised :icon_lol:), please continue and feel free to fire your questions.

FSX68
June 20th, 2013, 06:43
You could also use one of the simple photo editing programs included in Microsoft Office when you have this. Photo editor for Office 2003 before service pack 3 and Microsoft Office Picture Manager, for all office version after. Just adjust contrast and brightness until you have a satisfying result.

Cheers,
Huub

edit: As promised I downloaded and installed the model. I looked at the prop texture and came to the conclusion the job is perhaps a bit more difficult I than originally thought. Wozza used this texture for several transparent items in the model. I contains a part which textures the slow moving prop and a separate part for the fast moving prop. There is a part for the gun sights (???) and a part most likely for the internal texture of the canopy.

A this might be perhaps a bit too much f a challenge for a starting textures as yourself I have created a new alpha layer. As I didn't want to distort the much softer lines I gave the blurred propeller I saved it in 32-bits format.

When you want to have it is attached, when you want to find out for yourself how the mysterious alpha layers work (advised :icon_lol:), please continue and feel free to fire your questions.

Huub,

I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to make a very nice prop texture :applause:
It looks very nice (a little better then the Banana BOB one - no offense)

I don't know how you did it but from what you described that it was more of a beast to contend with then originally thought.
I was trying out the paint program that Don suggested and wound up with a black disk, I have ifranview but didn't know how to manipulate it enough
like Roger does. I guess while I was fiddeling around with the bmp in the other paint proggies you were already doing your magic.

It looks marvelous and I thank you for doing this for me. :jump:

Take care -

"Butch"

huub vink
June 20th, 2013, 06:45
You're welcome Butch. In this case I think some experience was very useful. This is how the prop texture looks in my FSX install....

The main difference is that I not only darkened the parts which needed to be more transparent, but I also made a new blurred part to show a 4 bladed propeller instead of a single disk.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/Huub_Vink/Example_prop_adjust_zpsdad0b9e4.jpg (http://s6.photobucket.com/user/Huub_Vink/media/Example_prop_adjust_zpsdad0b9e4.jpg.html)

FSX68
June 20th, 2013, 07:01
You're welcome Butch. In this case I think some experience was very useful. This is how the prop texture looks in my FSX install....

The main difference is that I not only darkened the parts which needed to be more transparent, but I also made a new blurred part to show a 4 bladed propeller instead of a single disk.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/Huub_Vink/Example_prop_adjust_zpsdad0b9e4.jpg (http://s6.photobucket.com/user/Huub_Vink/media/Example_prop_adjust_zpsdad0b9e4.jpg.html)

Ahh , there was more to it then what was thought. Again, thanks from this old Navy Viet-nam vet. I appreciate your efforts in making this possible for me. :medals:

napamule
June 20th, 2013, 17:22
With IrFanView you go to 'Image' then scroll down to 'Color Correction'. That opens a preview window with sliders for contrast, brightness (gamma) and saturation. That's the easy way to 'edit' a bmp's 'color' (shade of gray?).
Chuck B
Napamule