PDA

View Full Version : On the slipway...Majestic class???

lazarus
June 16th, 2013, 22:33
I Hope! Heading west for a couple of weeks in a few days, so loaded the lap top with the latest revisions of various tools, photo files, drawings, and the first couple of sketches. Still figuring out the best way to model the hull. The bows could be a real poly-hog depending how one tackles it. Crosses fingers! And I'll have to do a Mackenzie or a Rustyguts. Pick the easy projects, eh?

fallenphoenix1986
June 17th, 2013, 00:02
You've been at the Bonnie for what 5 minutes and you've caught up with my Melbourne :icon_eek:
Bout time the Razbam Banshee had a proper home though :applause:

Craig

Sindhu
June 17th, 2013, 00:29
Salute you :salute:

delta_lima
June 18th, 2013, 17:01
Looks great, Laz!!!

So what refit period are you modelling - '57 or '68?

Looking forward to this!!!

Best,

DL

crashaz
June 18th, 2013, 18:05
Excellent news.... can never have too much navy!! :salute::jump::applause:

fallenphoenix1986
June 19th, 2013, 17:22
Ran across this vid a while back and just remembered about it... figured you guys would appreciate it :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmFD5bijrok

Craig

Ian Warren
June 19th, 2013, 17:50
Thanks for the link fallenphoenix1986 :cool: .. 13 minutes into the film .. landing the Tracker on the deck seemed so docile, I'll post this at www.nzff.org (http://www.nzff.org) , i no people will be very interested as well .
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

fallenphoenix1986
June 19th, 2013, 18:50
No problem. Theres another couple on there, should be in the related video links, one for Maggie and another for Warrior.
I'd been looking for footage of the Banshees coming aboard for years before I found that nugget, and your right the S"'s really do just seem to bump onto the deck rather than slamming aboard. Should be plenty of footage of Aussie and Dutch birds coming aboard the Melbourne and Karel Doorman as well.

Craig :cool:

lazarus
July 6th, 2013, 16:22

Nice videos, those. I recall some CBC footage of a Tracker landing aboard Bonnie that used to run with the National Anthem at sign off time. The story went that the CBC cameraman filmed the landing-big arsed 135mm wet film camera in those days-then wanted to film a cat shot. Everybody in earshot said 'the acceleration will smash the camera into your skull. Do not do that.' He did anyway, and came away with a broken nose and a pair 'o shiners. They never ran that bit of footage!
Test export now that the hull and flightdeck is shaped in. Now things pick up speed. I guess(to start with) that we should end up with a 'generic' Majestic class rather than any given ship, as they were all different in details. More as it comes, but she's crocking along now!

lazarus
July 7th, 2013, 02:38

redrew the forecastle a couple of times, I think that's it now. Scale check at 700x80 over the flight deck.

mjrhealth
July 7th, 2013, 03:50
Was lucky to have served aboard teh HMAS Melbourne just before she was scrapped, and even luckier to have bought a camera so have a few photos. She was a bit ragged and worn, could only land trackers and choppers, the Skyhawks only did touch and goes occasionally.We once went to action stations, took a while for us to get there, did a second run not an hour after, but gave up since we could not seal the ship due to hatches being rusted and jammed open, but still despite her age she was a delight to serve on, best time I had in the navy next to teh DDG's.

fallenphoenix1986
July 7th, 2013, 06:39
Can't wait to plant a Banshee on her :jump:
Landing on the bigger ships has gotten a tad to easy.

Craig

lazarus
July 7th, 2013, 11:49
Cheers, me to! 80ft wide, I believe that if you executed a perfect 3wire, you had a whole 5 feet to spare between the starboard ESM can and the island.
I just hope it does not disappoint, but it is starting to look like a Majestic!
Cutting holes the hull, refining the sponson shapes

Sindhu
July 7th, 2013, 16:19
Cheers, me to! 80ft wide, I believe that if you executed a perfect 3wire, you had a whole 5 feet to spare between the starboard ESM can and the island.
I just hope it does not disappoint, but it is starting to look like a Majestic!
Cutting holes the hull, refining the sponson shapes

:applause: What carrier are you doing now? HMCS Bonaventure (CVL 22)? or HMAS Melbourne (R21)?

lazarus
July 8th, 2013, 02:17
The first will be a generic angledeck Majestic-between Bonnie and Melly. I cannot see a reason not to do both. But. Rivet counters be warned. I'm a eyeball type modeler, heavily informed by lots of kitbashing and scratchbuilding, so I'm of the 'looks good from six feet' school. The dimensions are accurate to the half inch, though, and scale and porportions look good, and its still well under a meg, so far so good. Launch and builders trials soon, I'll wager.

Sindhu
July 8th, 2013, 09:36
I will land my Tracker on her. :jump: :jump: :jump:

SADT
July 8th, 2013, 13:23
Hi Lazarus,

Are you going to make an axial (Straight) deck version, so that these can be painted as Colossus class Light Fleet Carriers? Or will it just be angled deck ships?

Cheers,
Craig.

lazarus
July 8th, 2013, 13:51
The model is all in modules so any variant can be done easily. I am doing a straight deck though.

Sindhu
July 9th, 2013, 06:36
Hi Lazarus,

Are you going to make an axial (Straight) deck version, so that these can be painted as Colossus class Light Fleet Carriers? Or will it just be angled deck ships?

Cheers,
Craig.

Hi, Craig
You already have a straight version Colossus class carriers here ... http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?76043-FSX-HMS-Ocean-and-Korean-war-TG-Launched

delta_lima
July 9th, 2013, 07:40
The first will be a generic angledeck Majestic-between Bonnie and Melly. I cannot see a reason not to do both. But. Rivet counters be warned. I'm a eyeball type modeler, heavily informed by lots of kitbashing and scratchbuilding, so I'm of the 'looks good from six feet' school. The dimensions are accurate to the half inch, though, and scale and porportions look good, and its still well under a meg, so far so good. Launch and builders trials soon, I'll wager.

The model is all in modules so any variant can be done easily. I am doing a straight deck though

Hello Laz,

I'm a bit confused, as an earlier post said "generic angle deck". Is there indeed an angled deck somewhere in the mix? Hoping so - but will happily take whatever comes down your slipway there in Chilliwack ... is the plan to float it down the Fraser? LOL :)

DL

lazarus
July 9th, 2013, 16:11
A straight deck Majestic looks pretty much identical to the proceeding Colossus. Its a few feet higher in the hanger, and a foot or overall and heavier. The main difference was the Colossus was built to merchantile standards, the Majestic was built to Admiralty standards: HT steel, warship grade water tight compartmentalization, torpedo protection scheme, Armoured instead of protected magazines, staggered boiler and machinery spaces. The converted angledecks, except for basic hull all different from the hanger deck up!
So, I'll start with a angle deck that is mostly an amalgam of RAN and RCN layouts and features, and end up with a generic angle deck light fleet, followed by the straight deck.

delta_lima
July 9th, 2013, 16:45
Thanks - that makes sense.

DL

JensOle
July 10th, 2013, 12:54
It is already starting to look very good! Thank you for taking on this model, it is much appreciated.

I really enjoy flying from the smaller angled carriers and I'm sure taking the shooter aboard will kind of be the ultimate test of you carrier landing skills.

Sindhu
July 10th, 2013, 18:13
It is already starting to look very good! Thank you for taking on this model, it is much appreciated.

I really enjoy flying from the smaller angled carriers and I'm sure taking the shooter aboard will kind of be the ultimate test of you carrier landing skills.

Totally agree sir. :salute: That would be fun and great challenge to land on these light carriers. :jump: :jump: :jump:

lazarus
July 11th, 2013, 01:40
FIGS. All the accel features worked on the first try, but I got the flight deck textures orientation off. Dumb, up and down, I know that. Clippin' along.

fallenphoenix1986
July 11th, 2013, 04:40
Outstanding, wasnt expecting to see her in game so soon :jump:
On a somewhat related note I really should pick up that Sea King at some point.

Craig

lazarus
July 12th, 2013, 17:36
Yes, you should get the Seathing-great flier. But for a Wessex! Ah well. I should have a beta for you all latter this evening. Got the hull shape where I want it now.

Sindhu
July 12th, 2013, 19:48
Yes, you should get the Seathing-great flier. But for a Wessex! Ah well. I should have a beta for you all latter this evening. Got the hull shape where I want it now.

What are these 3 gorgeous ladies? They must be Bonaventure , Melbourne and... ? :jump: :jump: :jump:

These would be a lot of fun

delta_lima
July 12th, 2013, 20:31
Looks great Laz - keep it up, mate!!!

DL

lazarus
July 13th, 2013, 01:54

Thanks everyone. So she's past her builders trials with a cornbroom flying from the yards. Still has to go alongside for fitting out, and I have to see about resizing the flightdeck textures to reduce some of the jaggies. Still to ship guns, a meatball, tilly, but the cat and cables work, she has night lighting, and its not totally pukeworthy!
2.82 mb model, runs very nicely, no attached effects except default smoke. Majestic, Mebourne and Bonaventure(ish). Remember, its a generic light fleet, and a wip. Still, I'm pleasantly surprised that it looks not to bad at all. :salute:

Sindhu
July 13th, 2013, 12:00

So much fun tonight, Thank you so much, lazarus :salute:

lazarus
July 13th, 2013, 15:26

Nice, and thanks! So far I carqualed the Banjo, Stoof and SeaVenom.
Resized flight deck textures to 2048 and re drew. Should be sharper now, though I have not tried these in sim, so back up your crappy textures in case of trouble.

Sindhu
July 14th, 2013, 09:44

A lot sharper, lazarus. Thanks a lot. :jump: :jump: :jump:

Essex
July 14th, 2013, 13:01
Thanks Lazarus excellent work as usual.

I've been experimenting with the standard FLOLS, if we put the datum just below deck height the deck lights are obscured by the deck and it all works fine, except when viewed from a distance, where the deck lights shine through the deck!
Theoretically it must be possible to disable the deck lights somehow, e.g. delete or rename the critical file. We could then put the FLOLS anywhere.
Any ideas?

lazarus
July 14th, 2013, 13:16
Happy its going well. Essex; the deck lights are in the flightdeck_LM texture. Edit with DXTBMP, or just rename a black swatch. I am hoping for a few hours this afternoon to see to the Mirror landing sight, or IFOLS.

Sindhu
July 14th, 2013, 13:41
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccKVr9Tth6o&feature=youtu.be

Hi, Lazarus. Here is the first video of your Melbourne :jump:

fallenphoenix1986
July 15th, 2013, 10:00
Gave it a whirl with the S2 on the Bonnie last night, almost couldnt see her when she spawned in at 10 miles.
Think I'll save the Banshees and Skyhawks for the finished article, realy looking forward to it :jump:

Craig

lazarus
July 19th, 2013, 18:22
I've been peering at models, reading through SDK, and nitz! How would I put a landing sight on this thing!
I am also finding that the 5.5 deg angle, or whatever it is, is very easy to land on. Qualled the Bucc, Demon, Skyray, bit tight for the Phantom, but it goes aboard! Skyhawk, once I turned down the zillion deg/sec roll rate! Banshee goes on like a dream, as does the SeaVenom. Picking away at the models, though this week I've been doing more flying than modeling.

Essex
July 21st, 2013, 13:32
Lazarus, for day use these placings will do for now
attachpt_runway_start {4.000,-100.210,13.340}
attachpt_runway_edge {6.740,-100.170,13.340}
attachpt_runway_end {4.000,78.800,13.340}

For night use I've used the same placings in the flols trailer mdl (the cat is required), so I now have 3 model folders in total.
The night version has to be used with aicarriers.

[formation.x]
title=HMS.Majestic night
unit.0=HMS_MAJESTIC_night, 0, 69
unit.1=MAJESTIC_FLOLS, 0, 69

I guess it may was possible to tamper with the LODs or deck material etc, to prevent the lights shinning through, but I just don't understand it.

With Coral sea the problem will be the fixed distance between the flols and the angled deck. Thanks for another addition.

Essex
July 26th, 2013, 06:23
Alternative 24hr config based on the Ark Royal setup

attachpt_runway_start {10.850,-92.577,14.140}
attachpt_runway_edge {12.574,-92.340,14.140}
attachpt_runway_end {-5.113,47.527,14.140}

Matching deck lights could be manually placed down the left edge of the angled flight deck.

JensOle
July 28th, 2013, 05:22
Thanks for the Majestic ships! They are great fun :-)

I have been experimenting with some new 4096x2048 deck textures and they greatly improves the edges as seen on the lower res textures. I have not seen any problems with lower fps.

BTW, where can I find the RCN Tracker repaint as seen in several screenshots?

Sindhu
July 28th, 2013, 08:41
Thanks for the Majestic ships! They are great fun :-)

I have been experimenting with some new 4096x2048 deck textures and they greatly improves the edges as seen on the lower res textures. I have not seen any problems with lower fps.

BTW, where can I find the RCN Tracker repaint as seen in several screenshots?

That would be a lot sharper, my RCN Tracker is the Abacus version, but I hope somebody would done more repaints for the Milton Shupe's version.

JensOle
July 28th, 2013, 09:47
All new super hi res deck textures for the HMCS Bonaventure. Still very much wip, but it should be pretty accurate for Bonnie. Any suggestions?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/JensOle/Canada/Scrshot714.jpg~original

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/JensOle/Canada/Scrshot718.jpg~original

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/JensOle/Canada/Scrshot716.jpg~original

lazarus
July 28th, 2013, 11:37
Very nice , Jens!Thats is really amazing work. I am the first to say, I suck at texturing! Essex, thanks for the work on lights and meatball-though I'm still scratching my head at that. Would you post the modified model file? Sindhu, loved the video, it was a pleasant suprise when one on my mates mentioned seeing the ship on youtube. Glad its all working well,and I'm tickled at the positive reception from y'all here, given the crude state of the model.
Trying to ballance work and home and FS (and loosing!), but the model proceedes. I've been at work on reshaping the hull- the stern has alot more taperand curve in towards the keel, so I've that in, and started in on the Islands for the straight deck, Melly and Bonnie. I also think I need to raise the boat deck a few more feet. None of the positions and textures will be affected, so all the new textures and co-ordinates remain the same.
I am aiming to try to keep the vertice count at a minimum, and keep the drawcalls down and I'd like to keep the model under 4mb. As my system is bottom end, frame rates are very critical for m'self- much as I like the SBD Enterprise and FS Victorious, they turn my rig into a slide projector. (Nimitz does not! Riddle me that!) Also started into some deck apes, mules, tilly, and at least a Seathing and a S-58/Wessex for some tophamper.
I think I will assemble those a separate model ( co-incident zero point) selectable with AICarriers. With any luck, should have a revised model along in a few weeks. Oh! The RCN texture is in the libray here, I think. I'll have to look and see.

Haze Gray and Under Weigh!

JensOle
July 29th, 2013, 05:11
Thanks! My paint skills are also basic, but I think it turned out pretty nice. It certainly was a lot of research to get the deck paint and decals right. Not that many hi res textures out there of Bonnie as she was sadly scrapped fairly early in "her" life. Let me know if you would like to test out the new texture.

Hopefully the paintkit for the S2F-3 will become available as well and I'll see if I can make a Canadian Tracker to go with the ship (even if the S2F-3 model is not 100% accurate for the Canadian CS2F which had the short fuselage).

aeronca1
July 29th, 2013, 06:00
All new super hi res deck textures for the HMCS Bonaventure. Still very much wip, but it should be pretty accurate for Bonnie. Any suggestions?

Only one suggestion. PLEASE release ASAP! Great work!

delta_lima
July 29th, 2013, 09:45
Wow - Laz and Jens - what a fantastic improvement. Of course, you had to catch me on vacation, unable to try this lovely model??? :icon_lol:

The combination of a great model and a super paint upgrade means this will be a most delightful release.

Bravo to all involved!!

DL

JensOle
July 29th, 2013, 11:34

The latest improvement is that I have painted on the arresting cables and cable drum/hold up gear. Doesn't look to bad until/if it is hard modelled into the ship. A CS2F in early painting as well...

JensOle
July 29th, 2013, 12:18
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/JensOle/Canada/Scrshot721.jpg~original

llanning08
July 29th, 2013, 14:18
Early indeed! Are those Aussie roundels on the Canadian Stoof?

JensOle
July 29th, 2013, 14:21
That's just the beginning on my Canadian repaint, just to check some decals.

Essex
July 29th, 2013, 14:53
I'm not sure that either of these solutions are acceptable.
On one hand using two mdl files seems silly, but if we are using aicarriers anyway (for the Seaking etc) it's no problem. I'm fairly sure the lights could be raised up a bit at least and possibly rotated a few degrees.

[formation.x]
title=HMS.Majestic night
unit.0=HMS_MAJESTIC_night, 0, 69
unit.1=MAJESTIC_FLOLS, 0, 69

The other solution is fine for day use although it's a shame the deck layouts vary between ships, I've lined the lights up on Majestic, so they are not as well placed for the other two. Night use is a bit unusual.

model.noFlols is the original model folder renamed.

Hopefully both work.

lazarus
July 30th, 2013, 13:52
Thanks Essex. Everyone; I'm approaching this as open source, so feel free to post mods, grind and hammer on the model, whatever- the only nono is paywareing it. A remote possibility, I grant you, and I couldn't do much about it anyway, so I'm not even worried about it. The source files for sketchup to date posted to 3dwarehouse, updated models uploaded as they come.

Actually, I was thinking that the FLOLS as a separate model was a great interim solution! Nothing wrong with that at all. AICarriers has become a great way to pull off all kinds of unanticipated stuff. We need something similar for weapons....

S2F repaints, big stash here.
http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?searchid=13082725

or search 'S2F' The repaint page comes up. Took me a bit to find where all those went to!

Jens, the deck looks great, can't wait. When its done, shoot me a copy, and I'll use that in the model template and model in the wires and housings on those drawm positions. The wire points are probably pretty close, I dropped the points using the deck map from Melbourne as a guide.

JensOle
July 31st, 2013, 02:00
Quite a few repaints for the FS9 version of the Stoof, sadly most of them are for the short S2F-1 (FS9 only). The repaints for the S2F-3 will work on the FSX model.

AndyG43
July 31st, 2013, 02:35
I've been watching this thread with interest for some time. Lazarus would you have any objections if, when the project is completed, I (with a lot of help!!) tried to convert this for FS9 use? I've been working on shifting over Collin's lovely HMS Ocean (not forgotten Collin, real life keeps getting in the way - hope to have it sorted soon) and the Majestic-class would be the perfect accompaniment.

Sindhu
July 31st, 2013, 05:21

lazarus
August 2nd, 2013, 14:44
Andy, I'd be honored to see the ship in the elder sim. Have at it, and if it helps to have the model in another format -other than FS9-I do not have the SDK for 9; just shout.
Thanks for the FLOLS, Essex, it works a treat, and I see what to do now to add it to the model. Bit by bit, and the interest and support from the community is of tremendous help with the nuts and bolts and morale! Thanks everyone.
S2F repaints... I think I did some sawing and sanding on the repaints to make the -1 and FS9 skins work on the G model.

Update: FLOLS works, fine tuning positions and looking for some stills of the unit to add it to the model. changes to the 'generic' island, lots of grinding on the stern to get the shape right- closer, anyways. roughed in tilly, and put together 2 tophamper models- one with a static Seaking folded up, the other with some deckapes and a mule. All of it resides in the ships folder, and is selectable from AICarriers. I've a few adjustments to make, and I am hopeful of a update this weekend for everyone.
A big celebration (mixed emotions, no doubt!) in Shearwater this week. 50 years ago this month, the CHSS-2 Seaking entered service.
30 years ago(40 if you count 10 years of studies from 1973) the CF got 'serious' about replacing the Seaking.
and, in 2005 the contract was let for S-92's (which even the most addled engineer could have told you was a bad idea! Over weight, short on puff and torque, out of growth before it got off the drafting board!) 13 years latter... no replacement in sight.
A triumph of politicized and broken procurement.

JensOle
August 2nd, 2013, 23:54
Lazarus,

looking forward to the light system! Did you Get the deck texture for bonnie I sent you?
I also has a new hi res vs880 tracker repaint slowly coming along for flying from Bonaventure. 2048 textures, more details etc.

JensOle
August 5th, 2013, 11:06
Carrier qual for VS880 today out on the Bonaventure...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/JensOle/Canada/Scrshot724.jpg~original

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/JensOle/Canada/Scrshot725.jpg~original

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/JensOle/Canada/Scrshot745.jpg~original

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/JensOle/Canada/Scrshot728.jpg~original

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/JensOle/Canada/Scrshot731.jpg~original

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/JensOle/Canada/Scrshot733.jpg~original

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/JensOle/Canada/Scrshot734.jpg~original

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/JensOle/Canada/Scrshot735.jpg~original

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/JensOle/Canada/Scrshot740.jpg~original

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/JensOle/Canada/Scrshot741.jpg~original

Sindhu
August 5th, 2013, 11:46
Very nice, Jens. :applause: Your textures are very beautiful both plane and ship :salute:

delta_lima
August 5th, 2013, 12:28
Bravo - just awesome.

Back from vacation - looking forward to this in a big way!!!

DL

lazarus
August 5th, 2013, 13:03

Hey all:

A gigantic thank you and BRAVO ZULU for Jens for the amazing
new flight deck texture for Bonnie,
and to Essex for figuring out how to attach a
meatball, and all the SOH crew for the encouragement
and support! With a Essex's meatball and Jens deck, its starting to look like
a halfways decent addon!

one bow cat, 4 wires, attached default smoke.
Meatball working! Jens CV-22 deck, deckpark and
impedimenta topsides. hull and island changes/poly rationalizations.
I'm reducing and remodeling the static Seaking.( Now I have to bite the bullet and
learn FSDS animation and turn that into a AI planeguard.) Not a huge FPS hit, but its still 9mb; too much for a static, but eliminating
the foofawery from the heads, hubs and gear will catch that.

The mirror landing sight is well in hand, a proper tilly, AAA battery and respotting the
meatball position for V.3, which will probably be the initial general release to hold the line until the individual ships are ready.

Off to the swimming hole with the Dogs now, I think the new beta is bug free, but I'll check back in latter.
Again; thank you all for the help and support and interest!
:salute:

Essex
August 5th, 2013, 15:17
Lazarus
I've only had a quick look, but it looks like excellent progress.
In case you've missed it there is an AI Seaking in the file VnW_V09.zip which I've been meaning to try. Would at least need a repaint.
Thanks again for all your work.

JensOle
August 6th, 2013, 02:45
Great news with the update! I have a new slightly updated deck texture as well, the only different is the curves on the deck elevator edges. Closer study revealed that it was more circular and not that oval. My latest screenshots show the new elevator shape.

It is possible to move the forward parked sea king a bit more to starboard to make space for S2F Tracker launches from the catapult?

Some thoughts for the escort vessels for HMCS Bonaventure;
-I believe the Iroquois/Tribal-class destroyers (DDG-28x) did not enter service before in the 1970's, so it should probably be replaced with another ship as Bonnie sailed her last carrier mission in 1969.
-Do any of you know if the old British Tribal-class destroyer is avilable for FSX? The Canadians had several of them post war and used them to the late 60's. It should be a nice fit for most of Bonnies time at sea.
Maybe Lazarus's converted L-class destroyers will be a good stand in?
-We have few it any post war RCN destroyer models models available for FSX, I'm currenly using a RN Type 12 Whitby and RN Type 12I Rothesay as a stand ins for the RCN St. Laurent class.

-Of course any Royal Navy destroyer or frigate from the 1950s-60s time periode can be used as plausible British participant in the carrier group. The same goes for US ships.

What do you guys think?

Sindhu
August 6th, 2013, 08:14
Hi,Gentlemen. Where can I get the "VEH_SH-3H_Seaking_RN"?

aeronca1
August 6th, 2013, 10:13
WOW, this project keeps on getting better and better!! Thanks to all involved!!!

Sindhu
August 6th, 2013, 11:24
Very beautiful :jump: Thanks Lazarus and all gentlemen who involved. :salute:

mikehudson
August 6th, 2013, 23:29
British Tribal class frigates are available for FSX as "type81_tribal_class_frigates" from both avsim and flightsim. Four vessels are provided. This thread has prompted me to consider re-issuing some of my previous ships in the form they took as part of the Commonwealth Navies. This will not be just an ensign change, as the equipment and fit were often slightly different. It will require some investigation on the web. I am promising no timescales as I am currently working on the Type 41 Leopard class. Mike.

mikehudson
August 6th, 2013, 23:53
My apologies, please ignore the first part of my previous post. I should really know the difference between the Tribal class destroyers and the later frigates (or at least fully read the question!). The second part re conversion of my previous vessels to Commonwealth use stands. Mike.

JensOle
August 7th, 2013, 01:36
Mike,

Nice to see you here in the Majestic class thread! Your ships are firm favorites when it comes to bringing British and Commonwealth navies to life in FSX!

You are not the only one to have a hard time with the Tribal class ships... It turns out 3 ship classes have been using the name "tribal-class" at more or less the same time...
-British "Tribal-class" destroyer (first ship in 1937) of ww2 fame, used by the RCN until 1969.
-British "Tribal class Type 81 frigate (first ship in 1959)
-Canadian Iroquois class destroyer (first ship in 1972). This class is also called Tribal-class to make the chaos complete..

Mikes Leander class frigate can with some imagination stand in as a Canadian St. Laurent-class destroyer (as it looked after they got helihangar and deck)

Lazarus converted CFS2 British L-class destroyer actually looks quite similar to the old Tribal class destroyer when it comes to the general layout and main guns. I have painted it up with pennants numberr 219 to simulate HMCS Athabaskan (II)

JensOle
August 7th, 2013, 13:09
F2H-3 Banshee of VF 870 coming aboard Bonnie. Flying fastjets onto such a small carrier really is a interesting challenge. Landing on a Nimitz class carrier seems a bit boring after a landing on the Bonaventure..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/JensOle/Canada/Scrshot757.jpg~original

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/JensOle/Canada/Scrshot747.jpg~original

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/JensOle/Canada/Scrshot753.jpg~original

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/JensOle/Canada/Scrshot759.jpg~original

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/JensOle/Canada/Scrshot762.jpg~original

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/JensOle/Canada/Scrshot764.jpg~original

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/JensOle/Canada/Scrshot768.jpg~original

Sindhu
August 7th, 2013, 15:41
Very interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=k99XVpBLIKA#at=121

Sindhu
August 7th, 2013, 15:43

JensOle
August 8th, 2013, 00:09
Interesting film!

I guess it is the FS9 S2F-1 you are flying in the screenshot? Lets hope they remake the short Tracker into FSX standards as well, not only its bigger brother the S2F-3. To me the propeller and window issue is to big for portovers.
The S2F-1 would also have been a mcuh closer fit for the Canadian CS2F version (albeit without the top mounted radar).

The Razbam F2H Banshee is a welcome find, it is an old release, but it is holding up quite good. The model sellection is also outstanding with more or less the entire Banshee family, including the Canadian F2H-3 model with both wing tanks and sidewinders. And most important, it is very fun to take aboard the HMCS Bonaventure!

Sindhu
August 8th, 2013, 01:18
Yes, sir. It is the S2F1 for the FS9. I just put in the new FSX prop from the Grumman Tracker, Trader, Tracer FSX Prop Fix in the section FSX Add-Ons (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=1) - FSX Other... http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?63260-Grumman-Tracker-Trader-Tracer-FSX-Prop-Fix

So, it's worked fine in FSX. But I completely agree with you that they would make all Trackers family into the real FSX standard.

lazarus
August 8th, 2013, 07:24
Terrific screens Jens, Sindhu! Its nice to have a home for the Banjo, and wouldn't a CS2F-1 in FSX native be nice! Still,I'mperfectly happy with the long stoof. The old Abacus FS9 is actually pretty decent for covering the various stoofs- including the CS2F-1 9short hull, square tips, fastback nacelles, ESM cans esc.) Thanks too everyone for putting up with a model thats more 'ish' than Majestic.
I've moved the SH-3 back from the free take off line; just have to check it in sim,and I'l see to posting an update latter today barring any RW meltdowns.

Sorry about the confusion with the escorts, planeguard. The SH-3 is from the SDB CVN65 package-sorry. If I could force myself to deal with FSDS and learn the animation sequence, I could get a AI SH-3 (and a million other things done properly) in sim in a hurry. for now,for freeware, its the UH-51 AI, the NH-90 from Ill'd yue, or the Allouette or panther (very nice) from RFN( FLOLS package)

For escort, Mikes(Hullo Mike!) Leanders/Whidbys and Tribal class frigates do nicely. A Mackenzie DDE and the Leander/Whidby are more similar than not, bty, all having the same designer, specification , basic armament fit, machinery ect, just made to look 'Canadian'
If the #&^@%$ liberals and *%^$#&^% PET weren't such hand wringing defeatests and commie bootlickers, Bonnie could have stayed in service for another 20years, having just come out of a major mid life refit right before being packed off to the scrapers,so a DDH280 escort is not out of the question for Bonnie in the 70's. The st.Laurent/Anapolis/Mackenzie DDE is in the projects bin for the future. A battle class DD would be nice to have around, too!
Cheers!

JensOle
August 9th, 2013, 01:49
Lazarus, I cannot even make a model for FS.... I think the Majestic class is turning out just great thanks to your hard work. A perfect mix between generic majestic class details, build time (very impressive how fast you have got this model into open beta!)and fps in the sim. I'm very glad you started this project as we have to few of the British carriers in FS. With HMS Victorious in post war layout around the corner as well, this will soon change.

Sindhu
August 9th, 2013, 12:56
Big thanks again Lazarus, Jens :salute: :salute: :salute:

JensOle
August 10th, 2013, 00:08
Hopefully that Brazilian Tracker can get a proper home later on...

Lazarus, which flying Sea King model with RCN textures do you use in some of the previous screenshots? ( I suppose it is the virtavia sea king?)

JensOle
August 10th, 2013, 00:14
And we have the old Alphasim Sikorsky S-55, which is now freeware. I believe it already has a set of RCN textures.

Sindhu
August 10th, 2013, 12:59
Yes, Jens. I think it's not too difference between The Majestic class and the Colossus class. I don't know if Lazarus going to make the Colossus with angle deck in the future or not. So at least if someone could do the repaints, we have that Brazilian Tracker for Minas Gerais and the Dutch Tracker for Karel Doorman and we also have the Super Etendard for De Mayo

lazarus
August 18th, 2013, 20:00
Busier than I thought, airshow weekend (meh) meltdowns, overtemps, birdstrike...
V2.1: coded FLOLS in correct position. happyhappyjoyjoy!
changed effects around a bit.
I shifted the positions of the deck vignette a bit. Sadly, Jens, there is just not enough room to park forward while using the free takeoff line. I think the
Seathing would have to be ranged aft or struck below.

That's about it for now. Got a bit side tracked with the FLOLS, but it will be worth it, and I'm working up a freeware AI Seaking from my static model, and am slooowly bashing a S-58/Wessex together for deckpark/ AI Planeguard, along with a bunch of other stuff.
You'll see.
Back to work!

Sindhu
August 19th, 2013, 01:06
Busier than I thought, airshow weekend (meh) meltdowns, overtemps, birdstrike...
V2.1: coded FLOLS in correct position. happyhappyjoyjoy!
changed effects around a bit.
I shifted the positions of the deck vignette a bit. Sadly, Jens, there is just not enough room to park forward while using the free takeoff line. I think the
Seathing would have to be ranged aft or struck below.

That's about it for now. Got a bit side tracked with the FLOLS, but it will be worth it, and I'm working up a freeware AI Seaking from my static model, and am slooowly bashing a S-58/Wessex together for deckpark/ AI Planeguard, along with a bunch of other stuff.
You'll see.
Back to work!

Hi, Lazarus
Very big Thanks for the Happiness V2.1 you just gave :applause: :applause: :salute:

JensOle
August 19th, 2013, 10:24
Great news Lazarus!

I see that you have not included the new flight deck, night flightdeck and island textures I sent over for a week ago, did you get the email btw?

lazarus
August 19th, 2013, 17:53
Hi Jens!

I'm sorry to say that I have not; realworld silly season for the past week and a half, have not even checked my email, but will straight away. Thank you , Jens! Look for a V.2.what ever number I'm up to now:sheep: I have to fire up the sim for a bit tonight and final check tonights batch of ship uploads, so I'll revise the beta and sneak it in later. If :pop4: the marketingdroids have quit blithering and the gremlin nests stay undercontrol, I hope I can get cracking on some of the glaring goofs; mostly raising the boat deck, and get the fresnel lens drawn and bolted on.
Thanks again Essex, for pointing me straight on the FLOLS placement and fixing the dead catapult issue.
Check back after 08:00 ZULU, I'll be uploading another batch of ships when the bandwidth isn't being throttled.

JensOle
August 19th, 2013, 21:31
Yeah I know, I have been busy for the last week myself too. Managed a few landings yesterday and an hour painting the virtavia seaking in RCN colors. I currently have CHSS-2 "28", which had the FOD deflector in front of the intake, I'm planning on painting an early model aswell which was based on the sh-3a without the intake cover. 28 is a known to have been used from Bonaventure in the late 60's by HS 50. Any other particular rcn sea kings people want to see?

I noticed that the rear rundown has been mapped and that made it possible to paint it in the green deck color. I'll send it over when I get back next weekend.

lazarus
August 22nd, 2013, 01:13

Beta V2.1.UPDATE
Newly upgraded textures for Bonaventure by Jens, otherwise, no changes
from last time, though Jens textures are more than enough reason to update the file.
Thank you very much, Jens. Those really make the model look an order of magnitude more impressive than it is:jump:
Sorry about the delay. I should know that announcing an ETA is an invitation for Murphy to stick his finger in the works!

JensOle
August 23rd, 2013, 11:11
Thanks Lazarus! I just put some paint on your great model :-)

I have some strange wake effects on the new model, are they looking as they should? (see screenshots)

CHSS-2 Sea King "28" of HS 50, flying from Banaventure in 1967.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/JensOle/Canada/Scrshot770.jpg~original

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/JensOle/Canada/Scrshot771.jpg~original

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/JensOle/Canada/Scrshot775.jpg~original

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/JensOle/Canada/Scrshot774.jpg~original

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/JensOle/Canada/Scrshot772.jpg~original

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/JensOle/Canada/Scrshot778.jpg~original

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/JensOle/Canada/Scrshot773.jpg~original

JensOle
August 23rd, 2013, 11:12
The rundown has also got some green paint to look like the real deal. The main gear holdback "traps" for the catapult has also been widened to match the gear width of the CS2F. Just some minor detail tweaks

lazarus
August 24th, 2013, 08:24
Gorgeous, Jens! I had gone through the FS9 Seathing repaints and adjusted to fit the FSX model. Tedious, as its the old school Alpha mapping style, with bits and pieces all over the place. Re the stern wake effect. Oops! I was trying out different effects looking for a nice 'churning' look. While the bow wave almost looked good-lots of roiling white water, the splash rose almost to the round down, so I was messing with lowering the effect position, with mixed results. Forgot to move it back up,or change it out, I'll catch it on the next update, or if its really offensive;I can post a model with a different effect.
Had just stepped away from the majestic for a bit to clear up some of the mountain of backlogged projects for upload, and just for a break- Every time I close my eyes, all I see is the wireframe model, and the brain chases it self endlessly....' if i take out this poly and re draw this, and bend that, and push this....' :icon_lol:

JensOle
August 24th, 2013, 12:13
No problem! I have attached a updated fligthdeck texture with some more dirt, remade catapult wheel holdback, the rundown is also included.

Thanks by the way for the massive upload of ships in the last week! I have just installed HMS Ocean with escort for some Sea Hawk flying. Should fit as HMCS Warrior as well...

JensOle
August 25th, 2013, 00:48
Some pics from today flight activity from Bonaventure...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/JensOle/Canada/Scrshot792.jpg~original

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/JensOle/Canada/Scrshot781.jpg~original

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/JensOle/Canada/Scrshot779.jpg~original

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/JensOle/Canada/Scrshot788.jpg~original

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/JensOle/Canada/Scrshot800.jpg~original

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/JensOle/Canada/Scrshot797.jpg~original

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/JensOle/Canada/Scrshot799.jpg~original

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/JensOle/Canada/Scrshot807.jpg~original

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/JensOle/Canada/Scrshot814.jpg~original

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/JensOle/Canada/Scrshot811.jpg~original

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/JensOle/Canada/Scrshot823.jpg~original

JensOle
August 25th, 2013, 00:49
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/JensOle/Canada/Scrshot830.jpg~original

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/JensOle/Canada/Scrshot836.jpg~original

delta_lima
August 25th, 2013, 06:41
Awesome work, JO!!!

Never thought we'd ever see the postwar RCN so well done - thanks to you and Laz!!

lazarus
August 25th, 2013, 09:35
Second that. About Jens, the textures are whats making that work now. BRAVO ZULU!

crashaz
August 25th, 2013, 10:23
OK... looks like you have figured out how to use the fresnel lens... if someone has that figured out and willing to share it then I need to go back to work! :applause:

JensOle
August 25th, 2013, 11:18
The RCN was a major user of the Grumman Avenger post war, doing some rather heavy modification in order to make them sub hunters with modern ASW equipment . I have been doing some thoughts about using the Vertigo Avenger, even if it is in the standard Avenger configuration with the ball turret. What do you guys think?

JensOle
September 15th, 2013, 01:28
Lazarus, any news on a updated model without the strange wake effect?

Sindhu
September 15th, 2013, 12:24
Hi, Jens

Can you please sir, repaint a HD texture of Melbourne?

Cheers, :salute:

Sindhu
September 28th, 2013, 02:56
Hi, Lazarus

Sir? Thank you for your great work of Majestic class carriers :salute: and Thanks Jens for his beautiful textures. :salute:

And what is your next project sir? Are you going to have the Colossus class with the angled flight deck? :jump: :jump: :jump:

We are going to have this Grumman S2F1 Tracker FSX native conversion http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?82091-Coming-soon ... So, it would be great if we have the Karel Doorman, Minas Gerais, and De Mayo too :wiggle:

JensOle
September 29th, 2013, 01:26
First of all we need to wait for the final Majestic class model! I know Lazarus is working on it. Some small fixes.

For Karel Doorman I believe the current majestic class model will work just fine. There are more similarities between the Majestic and Colossus and than differences (they are after all closely related). Of course almost all of the angled deck modified Majestic and Colossus got different island structures during refits over their service life, but for the deck layout they are pretty similar. KD had maybe the most radically modified island of them all.

Sindhu
September 29th, 2013, 02:01
First of all we need to wait for the final Majestic class model! I know Lazarus is working on it. Some small fixes.

For Karel Doorman I believe the current majestic class model will work just fine. There are more similarities between the Majestic and Colossus and than differences (they are after all closely related). Of course almost all of the angled deck modified Majestic and Colossus got different island structures during refits over their service life, but for the deck layout they are pretty similar. KD had maybe the most radically modified island of them all.

I agree sir. :salute:

Hooky722
September 29th, 2013, 05:55
Just wondered, Has anyone considered doing a deck repaint for INS Vikrant (R11) would be interesting to see her in early 80's fit with STOVL markings but no jump when she was operating Harriers Seahawks a full compliment of Helo's and the Alize!

Above during late 60's-70's
...Later in 1984. note the two Seahawks (unknown mark) just aft of sea harrier flight.

Hooky:salute:

JensOle
September 29th, 2013, 10:02
Interesting! The flightdeck looks very similar to Melbourne in her original layout. Can you research some hi res pics showing the details?

JensOle
September 29th, 2013, 12:13
Already crashed a few Sea Harriers...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/JensOle/Asia/Scrshot1034.jpg~original

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/JensOle/Asia/Scrshot1030.jpg~original

Hooky722
September 29th, 2013, 17:07
I'll see what I can dig up to be honest the Vikrants a bit akward to find photos of Pre ski jump era alot of the images from her earlier days that i can find online are b/w and not very good quality but I'm sure I can come up with something .

great work so far btw.

Hooky:salute:

JensOle
September 30th, 2013, 06:15
There is a youtube video of Vikrant and it actually has a lot of footage from this period showing at least parts of the deck up close.

JensOle
September 30th, 2013, 11:30

[FLTSIM.8]
TITLE=INS_Vikrant_84
MODEL=
TEXTURE=Vikrant

Enjoy!

JensOle
September 30th, 2013, 11:36
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeX4-vVWmRM

Hooky722
September 30th, 2013, 16:43
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeX4-vVWmRM

Thanks for than Jens, I still find it incredible that the kept the Sea hawks on till the 80's, fantastic Aircraft. now we just need Steve Beeny to bless us with an FSX model i believe he said it was in the pipeline a while ago. the FS9 one's still good enough for me right now. I think your right btw by the looks of it the flight deck started life early Melbourne style then had the straight deck STOVL markings and possibly the blue grey run off and helo spots added later.

JensOle
September 30th, 2013, 21:33
Yes, very interesting with the composition of the IN airwing. It must have been a maintenance nightmare with so many types on a very smal ship.

For the deck paint it looks like they painted it all green (no grey angled landing deck) when they introduced the centerline markings for Sea Harrier take offs. They removed the heli spots as well judging from the picture.

fsafranek
October 2nd, 2013, 21:49
If anyone uses the RFN TACAN gauge adding this entry to the Gauges/RFN_Carrier.xml file will add the Majestic class carrier to the mix. These are for the Melbourne but changing the "Carrier Name=", "Sim_Name=", and "Frequency=" lines will change it to another in the class. The frequency is just one that was available among my carriers.

&LT;Carrier Name="HMAS Melbourne (R21)"

Sim_Name="HMAS_MELBOURNE_CVL"
CarrierType="1"
Frequency="113.10"
Language="US"
RunwayAngle="6.4"
GS_Angle="3.6"
ILS_Xcoord="1.00"
ILS_Ycoord="14.70"
ILS_Zcoord="-80.00"
TCN_Xcoord="14.50"
TCN_Ycoord="39.80"
TCN_Zcoord="16.50"
Sim_Name_Helo="none"
Helo_Bearing="0"
Helo_Distance="0"/&GT;

The runway angle of 6.4-degrees is based on measuring the angle of the painted centerline stripe. However, according to wikipedia the deck angle was 5.5-degrees. Measuring the angle of the cable attachment points along each side and across the deck comes up with a rangle of 6.3 to 7.4-degrees. I figure 6.4 is good enough since it is the visual reference and I don't really use the ILS function of the gauge for these old carriers. So in this case these ILS numbers are mainly used by the LSO function of the RFN gauge to tell you if you are off course and need to make adjustments. Feel free to tweak these and report back if you like.
:ernae:

JensOle
October 3rd, 2013, 07:12
Great stuff Frank!

A very sharp observation regarding the angle of the deck. I was myself a bit amazed to see that it must be a difference in angle because where the centerline started and ended (compared to the main deck). bird view pics shows that Melbourne had a slightly less angled deck compared to Bonaventure. At least my pics shows that. A good guideline have been both the centerline and where the outer "danger" line of the angled deck pass and exit on the forward left side of the deck (just by the catapult). Vikrant looks to have a layout closer to Bonaventure.

Sindhu
October 4th, 2013, 10:52
Almost forget that we have one more majestic here. :jump: Thanks sir. :salute:

Cees Donker
December 27th, 2015, 23:29

[FLTSIM.8]
TITLE=INS_Vikrant_84
MODEL=
TEXTURE=Vikrant

Enjoy!

Jens,

I'm searching a Vikrant! Did you ever upload this one?

:applause:

Cees

Randy92
June 24th, 2017, 01:10
Hey Guys,

Do you know what ever happened to the 1950-60 repaint version of the HMAS Melbourne? I remember that in the early versions of the Majestic model this repaint was included, but in the recent version 4+ updates the 1950/60 version is no longer included in the package.

Is it still available somewhere to download?

Cheers,

Randy

ZsoltB
July 25th, 2022, 10:13
Majestic class carriers pack available?