PDA

View Full Version : Multiple FSX Installations for ORBX

marklaur
January 12th, 2009, 01:53
I am thinking of trying one of the ORBX texture packs for Australia. But from reading in some forums some people are having problems with other parts of the world if they do not switch back to default when not in Australia or when installing other sceneries. I can only afford one pack not the whole series at this time, and from what I can see it is only the complete pack that give the FTX switching free option as a bonus.

Can we have multiple FSX installations like in FS2004,as this would let me have one set of textures for Australia and another for everywhere else?

I do not want to much up my present installation of have problems if MS does not allow this option.

Can anyone advise if this is possible, and or how it is done?

Cheers MarkL

SirBenn21
January 12th, 2009, 02:31
From my own experiances only with a single installation and in FSX, just make sure you turn ORBX off before installing any other add-ons packages.
This problem drove me crazy for a few weeks as I like to also fly quite alot in the US.
One good thing if you are interested is that if you have all four regions you can buy the complete set on CD (In February) for only $20 shipping that will eliminate this problem.

Ben

jankees
January 12th, 2009, 03:02
I have the whole set of Orbx, but I have never experienced any problems with other packages..

harleyman
January 12th, 2009, 04:35
Can you not manually install that using your own folders? That way you can just disable it through the FSX scenery library when needed ...

kilo delta
January 12th, 2009, 05:10
There was an issue with ORBX causing problems for UTX users. It was easily sorted out though, by using UTX's configuration repair tool. :)

Cactuskid
January 12th, 2009, 08:28
I have the complete FTX package and the switching option comes with all of them, even the free trial FTX Tasmania package. FTX files install outside the main FSX directory, but even without the switching option, it is a simple matter to just uncheck the Orbx scenery files which are installed at the top of your add-on scenery menu. I have installed several other scenery packages since installing FTX and have never had a problem.

GypsyBaron
January 12th, 2009, 10:00
Can you not manually install that using your own folders? That way you can just disable it through the FSX scenery library when needed ...

"FTX Mode" replaces several textures in two FSX folders, backing up the originals.
Just disabling the ORBx files in the scenery.cfg does not
"undo" the texture replacement. You must run the "FTX
Mode" switcher to do that.

It is a simple process....just have a shortcut to the "FTX Mode" script
on your desktop or any other convenient place and click on it
to set the desired mode.

AIR, the only 'problem' with having FTX Mode ON in other parts of the world is
that it MAY affect coastline textures, however I'm not certain
about this. In any case, I've flown elsewhere when I've forgotten
to switch modes and didn't notice any problems. This will certainly
NOT 'damage' FSX in any way.

As to multiple installations, I have 4 or 5 "fsx.EXE" files in my main FSX
directory, renamed to reflect the configuration I want..."FSX_Europe", "FSX_USA",
"FSX_Hawaii", "FSX_OZ", etc.
Each renamed fsx.EXE file will create a new .cfg file with the executibles name,
"FSX_OZ.cfg" for example.
You can then customize all the things that are contained in the cfg file for the
area/region/situation you want.
Unfortunately when it comes to the scenery.cfg file, there is only one. To overcome
this I created copies of the scenery.cfg file and placed them in folders with names
similar to the fsx.EXE files I created. "ALL_scenery.cfg", "Hawaii_scenery.cfg", etc.
Each one is customized for that situation and the folder also contains a copy with the
"correct name", scenery.cfg. When I want to change the configuration, I simply copy
the scenery.cfg file from the tailored folder to the FSX folder containing the main
scenery.cfg file. This is a bit convoluted but works just fine.
I seem to recall a thread discussing the multiple scenery cfg file issue elsewhere
that offered another possible means of haing multiple configurations but I don't
recall where I read that.

Paul71074

Mithrin
January 12th, 2009, 10:10
Why worry, once you go outback you never go back!

Best scenery around!

jetstreamsky
January 12th, 2009, 13:56
The FTX MODE switch placed on your desktop simply allows you to start with FTX textures or not, really simple and it works.

I have seen the out-of-Australia effects when I flew from Dillingham in Hawaii, where all the ocean textures became farmland :whistle:

Switching FTX Mode and starting over put everything back to normal

marklaur
January 13th, 2009, 00:11
Thanks for all the replies. The detailed reply from "GypsyBaron" helped me to understand a few more things.

If I get one of the packages it looks look I will just have to gt used to switching. But I must admit I have been looking at the "What a Wonderfull World" textures as well because you get the whole world with them. A hard choice.

Cheers Markl