PDA

View Full Version : Finland In CFS2

Typhoon Willy
June 13th, 2013, 23:47
I was just doing a little research on Finland's involvement in WWII fighting against the Russians in the Winter War and the Continuation War before expelling the Germans (in the Lapland War) after a cease-fire was reached with the Russians. So I guess my question is how does CFS2 treat Finland when in reality it engaged in hostilities against both Allied and Axis countries?

TW

Rami
June 14th, 2013, 01:20
Typhoon Willy,

That's a complicated question. For the purposes of CFS2, you would leave Finland on the side of the Axis until the conclusion of the Continuation War, and then switch them on a per-mission basis to the Allies to fight on the side of the Allies against the Germans for the Lappland War.

No one has attempted to cover the Lappland War.

There's a similar issue for the last few missions of the Poland campaign when the Soviet Union pushes in from the east. For the purposes of those missions, both Russia and Germany are on the same side. That has to be done on a per-mission basis in Mission Builder.

Jagdflieger
June 14th, 2013, 08:24
I've played around with Finland over the years. I don't have a lot of historical info on it, so I've generally kept it simple. The variation of equipment that the Finn's had makes it interesting. Also, at one point, England was planning to assist Finland against the Russians during the Winter War while being allied to the Russians at the same time!

Typhoon Willy
June 14th, 2013, 10:48
Hi Rami and Jagd,

While looking at the country.cfg I noticed the following entries:

[alliance.0]
name=Allies
country.0=1
country.1=3
country.2=5
country.3=7
country.4=9
country.5=10
country.6=11
country.7=13
country.8=14
country.9=17
country.10=18

[alliance.1]
name=Axis
country.0=2
country.1=4
country.2=6
country.3=8
country.4=12
country.5=15
country.6=16
country.7=19

Finland's allegiance number is 15, which is identified in the second entry under Axis. Since it seems they spent most of their time fighting the Russians, allegiance number 5, and listed under the first entry as Allies, it makes sense. However, I would gather that in order to do Lapland War missions, one might need a second set of Finnish planes with the allegiance set for some Allied country.

Jagd, concerning Britain's possible backing of the Finns, it explains how there are such AC as Hurricanes and Blenheims in Finnish markings. I really like their resourcefulness in acquiring planes from the inventories of various countries, even managing to procure P-36s!

By the way, the article I was reading was from Wikipedia (yes, I know some find this site suspect as far as accuracy) found here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_history_of_Finland_during_World_War_II

Kind regards,

TW

Rami
June 14th, 2013, 12:00
Typhoon Willy,

Take a look at this screen, my friend. The first picture represents where the countries are. The second depicts what you would need to do for the end of the Polish campaign, to have Germany and the USSR fighting on the same side against Poland.

The final pic represents what you would need to do to have Finland and the USSR fighting on the same side against the Germans. It's all done through mission builder, you would not need to alter any aircraft. As I said, it can be done on a per-mission basis.

You'd think after a full day off the hockey malaise would be behind you...lol :icon_lol:

Typhoon Willy
June 14th, 2013, 12:49
Hi Rami,

Ok, all things are made clear! It's been a loooooooong time since I've been in MB.

And yes, I expect a better outcome from Boston on Saturday! (No offense to Chicago fans.)

Kind regards,

TW

Rami
June 14th, 2013, 13:32
TW,

That's not even the half of it...they used the following as major types...

Gloster Gladiators, Hawker Hurricanes, Fiat G-50 Freecias, Morane-Saulnier Ms-406s, Messerschmitt Bf-109s, Brewster Buffaloes, Curtiss P-36 Hawks, Fokker DXXIs, a plethora of repainted, captured Russian types, Bristol Blenhiems, Dornier Do-17s, and Junkers Ju-88s.

In short, the Finns became the airborne version of the Salvation Army in World War II. And they were dammed successful!

P.S. - Although this has never been documented, bear in mind that the Russians used lend-lease American and British fighters, so the potential existed for dogfights between Curtiss P-36 Hawks (Finnish) and P-40 Kittyhawks, (Russian) or Hurricanes (Finnish) against Hurricanes. (Russian) Brewster Buffaloes could have also fought Russian Hurricanes or P-40s, if you really want to throw your mind for a loop.

Interesting footnote...when the Germans invaded Yugoslavia, they found themselves fighting early Bf-109 "Emils" of the Yugoslav Air Force together with Hawker Hurricanes that the Yugoslav Air Force also had available.

All I can say is...:isadizzy: