PDA

View Full Version : One more skin Ki-61 hei 55th Sentai

Captain Kurt
June 9th, 2013, 23:47
I'm posting one more skin tonight for the campaign I am working on.

A Ki-61-hei 55th Fighter Sentai, 1st Chutai, Pilot Capt. Takefumi Jano - Philippines 1944

Repaint for the Akemi Mizoguchi mz-ki61-hei model.

This skin is based on a FLY/Morton skin with additional painting and markings by myself. Most of the credit goes to them.

arfyhun
June 10th, 2013, 01:28
As ever Capt'n, very nice.

Could I ask a question about another of your skins please? It's your 'A6M5_221st_Kokutai.zip'.

Are you correct with the A/C No. '22-127 Z'?

My research (for what it is) shows '221-17 Z', an aeroplane belonging to the 221st. Kokutai, 312th. Hikotai, Philippines, 1944, the 'Z', I believe, denoting a Mitsubishi built A/C. Is this the same plane?

Many thanks in advance,

Graham.

Captain Kurt
June 10th, 2013, 03:17
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/soh_ftp/uploads/imageuploads/551013708501066502.jpg
A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Skins - Japanese

Description: Ki-61-hei 55th Fighter Sentai, 1st Chutai

Pilot Capt. Takefumi Jano - Philippines 1944

Repaint for the Akemi Mizoguchi mz-ki61-hei model.

This skin is based on a FLY/Morton skin with additional painting and markings added by myself. Most of the credit goes to them.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Ki-61 hei 55th Sentai 1st Chutai.zip (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?linkid=16595&catid=60)
The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Rami
June 10th, 2013, 03:22
Kurt,

This is outstanding, thank you so very much! :ernae:

Captain Kurt
June 10th, 2013, 13:06
As ever Capt'n, very nice.

Could I ask a question about another of your skins please? It's your 'A6M5_221st_Kokutai.zip'.

Are you correct with the A/C No. '22-127 Z'?

My research (for what it is) shows '221-17 Z', an aeroplane belonging to the 221st. Kokutai, 312th. Hikotai, Philippines, 1944, the 'Z', I believe, denoting a Mitsubishi built A/C. Is this the same plane?

Many thanks in advance,

Graham.

You know Graham, I think dyslexia is going to be the death of me yet. The correct tail number for this plane is 221-27. On the port side the tail number is correct. On the starboard side I got the dash and the numeral 1 reversed. You would think that would have jumped out at me, but nooooooooooo,

I will correct it and get it off to Rami to replace the zip to correct that. Thank you for catching that.

I'm not sure what the Z denotes but according to the source Thierry Dekker, this machine was Nakajima built. The unit also displayed a D and a Z1 under the tail number on other planes.

Rami
June 10th, 2013, 13:29
Kurt,

Just give me a holler. I'll take care of the rest. :icon_lol:

arfyhun
June 10th, 2013, 13:44
My pleasure Capt'n. You young boys will go rushing off at things, wait 'till you're 21 like me, everywhere becomes uphill both ways!

My knowledge of this A/C only extends to a couple of pictures of '221-16 Z' and an identical aeroplane; '221-18 D'. The caption states 'Z' was a Mitsubishi product and 'D' a Nakajima jobby.

But a second picture shows '221-27 Z' captioned for a Nakajima product. Luckily there are no name badges on their engine cowlings, otherwise I could feel a 'no paddle & creek' syndrome galloping over the horizon...

Another bit of info shows; 221Ku photo's indicate A6M5a or b model not the 'c'. No mention of the tyre pressures thankfully....

Regards,

Graham.

Forgot to say, the picture showing '27 Z' does appear to have a vertical mark after the 'Z' but I am unable to ascertain what it is.

kelticheart
June 12th, 2013, 02:48
Thanks, Capt. Kurt!!

It's indeed a splendid repaint, just like all the others you recently posted for your new upcoming campaign!

:applause: :jump: :applause: :jump: :applause: :jump: :applause:

Cheers!
KH :ernae:

kelticheart
June 12th, 2013, 02:58
......the 'Z', I believe, denoting a Mitsubishi built A/C. ......

Hi Graham,

I remember reading on the Net that the sure way to tell a Mitsubishi-built from a Nakajima-built Zero is from the paint scheme under the tailplane, apart from the Nakajima longer, more tapered spinner which cannot be reproduced on the stock CFS2 A6M5.

If the fuselage green paint dividing line from the light grey underside runs straight to the tailcone under the tailplane it's Mitsubishi-built. If, instead, it curves up to the tailplane leaving the fuselage under light grey, as in this repaint, it should be a Nakajima-built Zero.

Cheers!

miamieagle
June 14th, 2013, 10:18
Thank you!

arfyhun
June 14th, 2013, 10:40
Thanks for that info keltic. I saw the pictures but never looked at them. Never ask me to be a witness in court!

I got a bit of the info wrong as well. '221-27' does not show a small-looking '1' after the number, '221-16' does.

The underside of the A/C in the pictures shows a white stripe underneath both wings, looks about 45 degrees going outboard from the inboard gun. Was this a manufacturer thing or a style applied by 221ku?

Graham.

kelticheart
June 17th, 2013, 02:01
Thanks for that info keltic. I saw the pictures but never looked at them. Never ask me to be a witness in court!

I got a bit of the info wrong as well. '221-27' does not show a small-looking '1' after the number, '221-16' does.

The underside of the A/C in the pictures shows a white stripe underneath both wings, looks about 45 degrees going outboard from the inboard gun. Was this a manufacturer thing or a style applied by 221ku?

Graham.

Hi Graham!

I am quite sure those stripes are individual markings, as the manufacturer's paint scheme difference was limited to that tail detail.

I just got this "Approximately 10,450 Zero-Sen's were built with Mitsubishi building 3,880 and Nakajima building 6,570...." from this site:

www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/IJARG/a6mzero.htm (http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/IJARG/a6mzero.htm)

This ratio is almost a 2 to 1, it tells us it's far easier seeing a picture of a Nakajima-built Zero than a native Mitsubishi plane. This website shows a great picture of a restored, airworthy Nakajima A6M5, where you can appreciate the shape of the Nakajima prop spinner very much:

http://www.airvectors.net/avzero.html

and the paint style matches the historical specs as well.

Here you can watch the restored Nakajima-built A6M2-21 recovered from Ballale jungle in the early 1960's, which once belonged to the Confederate Air Force. It was sold to the Pacific Aviation Museum at Pearl Harbour and it's on static display there. Sadly keeping this ship airworhty was becoming quite an effort, so it will remain static for the years to come:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwzLFlq4VNE

Here there's a splendid picture, even if it's small, of a Nakajima A6M5-52 nose:

http://airandspace.si.edu/collections/artifact.cfm?id=A19600335000

Here's another great YouTube link to a Nakajima A6M2-21:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=To5T3WI7pHg&feature=fvwp

All you have to do is enter "Nakajima Zero" in Google, you'll get all of the above and more.

Cheers!