PDA

View Full Version : OT Frustration

falcon409
June 9th, 2013, 15:34
I took all these images this afternoon out at the airport to use in developing models from Sketchup. I have an old "Sharp" digital camera that takes excellent images so when I went to transfer the images via the supplied USB cable to the computer I got an error message saying the software was not installed. I figured I'd just look up the camera model, find the correct driver and install it. HA!! even after going to a website suggested by someone on a forum. . .he said he had uploaded the correct drivers and while I had to register, it was free and then I could download. Ok....after registering, I did a search for the driver, found the link to it and what do I get???? A page full of little download buttons. . .none of which have anything to do with the driver I need. . .I can download a PDF Reader, a Driver Scanner, A download utility (so I can unzip my driver of course) and some other driver. The entire top of the page is plastered with the driver name, specifics about what OS it's compatable with, Company name, etc, etc, etc. . .but not one downloadable link that will give me the driver. . . .Grrrrrrrrrrr.:isadizzy:

OleBoy
June 9th, 2013, 16:22
Your camera make, model# and OS would be good to have. I'll have a look around for you too :)

falcon409
June 9th, 2013, 17:23
Your camera make, model# and OS would be good to have. I'll have a look around for you too :)

It's a Sharp. . .model VE-cg30u. . .Win7
I bought this camera at the BX about 12 years ago. The Sharp website doesn't even list "Cameras" as one of their products. That's what I'm up against. I'm beginning to think that I may have a camera that's worthless.

Paul Domingue
June 9th, 2013, 17:57
Does it have a removable memory card? If it does you can get a combo card plugin for your USB slot and read it off that.

TuFun
June 9th, 2013, 18:02
From what I read is that it has a 16MB SD card. Should be ok if you have a card reader to extract the pics. My printer has a card reader for all types.

falcon409
June 9th, 2013, 18:25
From what I read is that it has a 16MB SD card. Should be ok if you have a card reader to extract the pics. My printer has a card reader for all types.
No card reader.

dandog
June 9th, 2013, 19:46
Falcon409, the driver is available at www.driverguide.com, http://members.driverguide.com/driver_search.php?q=sharp+VE-cg30u&si=7fd8700b195c23d992c7c0ef53a3a810&st=1370835633&ref=www&gqm0=sharp+VE-cg30u. It is free to register. Let's see if the link works.

falcon409
June 9th, 2013, 20:00
Falcon409, the driver is available at www.driverguide.com (http://www.driverguide.com), http://members.driverguide.com/driver_search.php?q=sharp+VE-cg30u&si=7fd8700b195c23d992c7c0ef53a3a810&st=1370835633&ref=www&gqm0=sharp+VE-cg30u. It is free to register. Let's see if the link works.
Yep, that's the place I registered, did a search, found a page that claims that it has the driver, but none of the "Download" buttons gives you a driver. It just seems to be a page that teases you with a supposed driver, when all it's really allowing you to download are various "junk" programs.

falcon409
June 9th, 2013, 20:15
I've decided I'm beating a dead horse here. I have probably found a dozen "so called" driver updates. . . .even downloaded some zip files that make it appear that they are the drivers (labeled as such), only to discover they are all various types of driver download software and all of which you must purchase and register before you can actually download any drivers. What a scam. I'll use the photo's I shot to start some modeling projects (I can zoom the small LED screen enough to see the general construction) and some time down the road I'll get a card reader.

dandog
June 9th, 2013, 20:21
I downloaded the files. Where do I send the .zip file. There is no .exe, so you will have to install manually.

falcon409
June 9th, 2013, 20:25
I downloaded the files. Where do I send the .zip file. There is no .exe, so you will have to install manually.
I don't get it. . .where did you find them that I couldn't after half a day of constant searching?:isadizzy:

dandog
June 9th, 2013, 20:26
On driverguide. You just have to go through some "poop" to get them.

falcon409
June 9th, 2013, 20:39
On driverguide. You just have to go through some "poop" to get them.
yea, I'll say. . .I went through as much "poop" on that site as I have patience for and never got to it.

PHo17
June 9th, 2013, 22:07
I had the same problem as you a couple of years ago. My camera is (old but) good enough for me. However everthing is developing so fast nowadays that the manufacturer has no more support for that camera and modern OS's (Windows 7). So Windows simply didn't see anymore camera's memory card through camera's USB port (in spite of latest drivers and other tricks I tried).

Solution was also very simple. I bought a cheap USB adapter for the camera's memory card. Actually this is an easier option when I no more need to hassle with camera's USB cable and tiny plugs and camera settings for download.

Pekka

falcon409
June 9th, 2013, 22:12
Yep, that seems to be the case here as well....a nice camera, shoots great pictures and pretty much useless because of a simple USB driver. Tired of messing with it. Moving on.

Paul Domingue
June 10th, 2013, 12:06
Yep, that seems to be the case here as well....a nice camera, shoots great pictures and pretty much useless because of a simple USB driver. Tired of messing with it. Moving on.

"Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, give up. Never give up. Never give up. Never give up."

Winston Churchill, October 29, 1941 Harrow School Speech.

You can get a multi card reader at Best Buy for $15.00

dandog
June 10th, 2013, 12:56
Yeah, what he said. I put the .zip file on 4shared, http://www.4shared.com/folder/2z_rw_JP/_online.html. Freak'in support at SBCGlobal had no answer as to why I could not send you an email with .zip or .rar attachment. They said it might be a Google Chrome browser issue. But I did not give up. Hope they work!

falcon409
June 10th, 2013, 14:40
Thanks Dan,
No attempt at download works. I've tried every link that says it's the drivers and they either want me to download other software or in several instances said I couldn't download that file without a "Premium Account".:isadizzy:

falcon409
June 10th, 2013, 14:42
"Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, give up. Never give up. Never give up. Never give up."
Winston Churchill, October 29, 1941 Harrow School Speech.

You can get a multi card reader at Best Buy for $15.00
That's probably what I'll do at the end of the month (SS Check get's deposited then).

:salute:

dandog
June 10th, 2013, 17:13
How about this link? Its Media Fire this time http://www.mediafire.com/?k8h6fo30nfvzgab. ATT claims my email is getting blocked form your end, per the error code I get.

falcon409
June 10th, 2013, 17:17
Got it first time. Any idea what to do with the files? lol

dandog
June 10th, 2013, 18:35
OK, extract the folder to your desktop. Then open up your device manager. Plug in the camera. You should get either a pop-up which will request the drivers, and/or you should see your camera show up on the device manager tree. If you get the desktop pop-up, use it to browse to the folder you placed on the desktop, and click OK. If not, click on the camera in the device manager tree if its in a sub folder. Then right click to get the option to update driver software. Click on that option. Always use the option to browse to your driver location. Then click OK on the camera driver folder. (Do not let Windows try to install the driver automatically. It usually won't find the driver per past experience). Then the driver should install and all will be good. Let me know.

falcon409
June 10th, 2013, 19:02
Everybody take a seat, mostly so you don't fall down laughing, lol. Most everyone is aware that my old system fried some time back and through the generosity of this community I was able to put together a new system. The old stuff is still here, just haven't gotten around to taking it somewhere to recycle. So I'm walking out to the kitchen and there, next to the dining room table is the old tower, gutted of everything, but still sitting around. I glance over at it like I have a hundred times so far and what catches my eye???? The full bay of card readers on the front panel :icon_eek:....WHAT? I quickly set it up on the table and after a few screws are taken out, there it is. . . The plug pin setup is different. . .this one has 6 across-5across below that. The new motherboard has 5over4. . .what the heck, give it a shot. I offset the first two pins on the end (so they aren't plugged into anything) which allowed the remaining pins to seat correctly. Turned the system back on. . .the drivers installed and "voila" I have a card reader and all the textures are loaded into the computer, lol. GO FIGURE!!!!:isadizzy:

dandog
June 10th, 2013, 19:34
Falcon409, I can't kick you from here, so I'm just gonna go outside and swing my foot in the general direction of Texas. Remember, the computer may be smarter, but never let it be your master!

Dandog

falcon409
June 10th, 2013, 19:43
Falcon409, I can't kick you from here, so I'm just gonna go outside and swing my foot in the general direction of Texas. Remember, the computer may be smarter, but never let it be your master!
Dandog
Yep, I hear ya Dan. . .you went through a lot to get the drivers to me and I appreciate all that you went through. I guess the old parts have been laying around just long enough that I never gave it a thought. Why it caught my eye this time. . .I have no idea, but, while the bay isn't something that I can make look nice and custom made for the new tower. . .it does what I needed and that's what counts I guess.

Thanks to Dan and everyone else who lent suggestions to this little fiasco. I think it's time for a drink, lol
:icon29::icon29::icon29:

anthony31
June 11th, 2013, 16:27
Yes, drink will solve most problems (or at least postpone them).

What a funny little adventure you had falcon :)

Aren't computers fun?

falcon409
June 11th, 2013, 16:29
Yes, drink will solve most problems (or at least postpone them).
What a funny little adventure you had falcon :)
Aren't computers fun?
Indeed they are Anthony. . . .indeed they are.:salute:

dandog
June 11th, 2013, 18:09
C'mon Falcon409, at least try the drivers I sent you. You might have another round of fun computer times!

Dan