PDA

View Full Version : would be cool

war.ace
January 11th, 2009, 17:33
It would be cool if ther is Microsoft FSX made compatible with the PS3. There would be no problems with control because ps3 can work with any usb devices like joystick, mouse, and keyboard. Too bad Microsoft only makes games for pc and the xbox series.

MCDesigns
January 11th, 2009, 17:37
I feel just the opposite, prefer PCs over consoles.

war.ace
January 11th, 2009, 17:41
well yea I prefer pc too but my sisters are always using our only desktop. so I use my ps3 more often than I use the pc.

Lionheart
January 11th, 2009, 18:25
If they could hook up the keyboard and joystick and extra USB's for gauges and other nick-nacks, I think it would be interesting..

EDIT: And.. be able to add on aircraft, scenery, etc...

Bill

XLR8
January 11th, 2009, 20:01
I read an artical a while back that says if Linux is installed on a PS3 that some pc games will work.FYI the XBOX 720 and the PS4 are do out in 2011.Word of a 4.+ pross in them.

Bjoern
January 12th, 2009, 03:14
I would take a cross-platform flight simulator as the biggest offense ever. Something along the lines of the developer saying "The PC has lost it for us, we'll only do console stuff now. You PC guys will get a half-arsed port, if you really need our product".

No, thank you.

Snuffy
January 12th, 2009, 03:58
I feel just the opposite, prefer PCs over consoles.

Ditto.

I will never own a console.

IanP
January 12th, 2009, 04:36
Consoles are great for certain things (a lot of first person shooters, "arcade" driving games, platform games and "party games" such as Rock Band/Guitar Hero, SingStar, etc.) - they're not at all suitable for applications that require large amounts of controls, customisations and additions such as strategy games, MMOs and true simulations - they're too locked down with only specific distribution paths allowed and certification mandatory, rather than optional. You'll currently not see "legal" freeware add-ons for an XBox, Wii or PlayStation title because they need that little "approved" logo from Microsoft, Nintendo or Sony attached, which costs a fortune to stick on.

Microsoft corporate would love to move every title they own onto the XBox and control both the software and hardware. It would totally kill the third party development market.

I really enjoy playing Wii Sports. That just wouldn't work on a PC! ;)

Cheers.

Navy Chief
January 12th, 2009, 04:47
I am just old fashioned. I think of consoles as fancy Ataris! PCs for me.

NC

MCDesigns
January 12th, 2009, 05:32
I would take a cross-platform flight simulator as the biggest offense ever. Something along the lines of the developer saying "The PC has lost it for us, we'll only do console stuff now. You PC guys will get a half-arsed port, if you really need our product".

No, thank you.

That is my point, I have nothing against consoles, I own a PS2 and an Xbox360 and if you are into gaming, they are a blast, BUT from my experience, design studios usually don't or won't have the resources to FULLY develop dedicated versions for both platforms, so one suffers, either you get a version for the console that was designed for the PC that doesn't play right /too hard, or you get a dumbed down PC version. So my solution for that is to support one version or the other and show my support to the game makers with my wallet since that is what motivates them, sales.

I choose the PC and don't buy consoles or console games any more. You realize how many PC games I have that I haven't played/ can't play on my rig that I bought just to support PC gaming? (fallout 3 and far cry 2 keep staring me in the face!)

What's really sad is I was at gamespot online the other day looking at the release of SIMS3 and reading the comments from the kiddie gamers and most of them is "why can't I play this on my WWii, PS3, Xbox360, etc, WAAAHH", they just don't have a clue.

What I do find interesting is that consoles, are getting bigger and faster, basically becoming computer spec quality, so why have dual platforms? Is it because you have a harder time cracking code on a console?

IanP
January 12th, 2009, 11:28
Is it because you have a harder time cracking code on a console?

Put bluntly, yes.

Consoles don't have DVD writers, nor are you supposed (hah!) to be able to change or alter their hardware or drivers, so you can't add one.

Then there's resale value - you can sell a console game multiple times, getting it back as an "exchange" each time - and fixed hardware, severely cutting support costs and returns. You don't get people returning XBox or PS3 titles saying "It doesn't work on my console. I want a refund!"

For retailers and developers, consoles are a godsend. They're not the perfect solution, however.

Bjoern
January 12th, 2009, 12:01
I really enjoy playing Wii Sports. That just wouldn't work on a PC! ;)

Noooooooo way it would! At all! Ever!

(Sarcasm justified?)

Put bluntly, yes.

Put bluntly, no.

According to the GVU (kind of a german RIAA equivalent), 46 percent of all conficated illegal copies in the year 2008 were console games.

=> "Console" and "no illegal copies" my arse.

war.ace
January 12th, 2009, 12:12
there's something better than consoles and pc

they call it the real thing. lol
too bad I cant afford the real thing, I cant even pay for a flying lisence. so I join the air force for a free one.:woot:

IanP
January 12th, 2009, 12:49
=> "Console" and "no illegal copies" my arse.

The term was HARDER, not impossible.

You need special hardware (or, for most people, that's called "a PC") to copy console games. You cannot do it on the console itself. As I stated.

I also provided the other reasons - as stated by the developers and retailers - why they prefer consoles.

If you connected your PC to a large television, cleared huge amounts of space around it and controlled it using a Wii-mote rather than a keyboard and mouse, then Wii bowling would work fine on a PC... But then you might as well keep your PC for the things that it is best at and use a console for what they are best at. Where's the rolling eye emoticon gone when I need it?

Bjoern
January 12th, 2009, 13:36
Will this one do? => ":rolleyes:"

Sorry for that "my arse". If you've seen my other thread, you would know that I'm a bit upset right now.

IanP
January 12th, 2009, 13:46
That's the one I was after... Which dark corner did you find that in? ;)

I hadn't read your other thread, I have now. Apologies for biting back at you. If it's any consolation, I'm back trying to do something that should be very simple, but ACES have made really hard - allocating different control settings to different aircraft!

Mind you. That wouldn't be a problem on a console. You'll only ever need an XBox360 controller to do everything, won't you? :faint:

Bjoern
January 12th, 2009, 14:23
No problem at all, Ian.

By the way: "Smilies" section, right side, fourth row from the top.

idancesafetydance
January 12th, 2009, 14:37
I could just Imagine FSX on a PS3. It would look GREAT at max, at around 150 FPS. THe ps3 has a 6Ghz- 16 core prossessor (alot of physics stuff is in ps3 games). but... still.... It just seems better on the computer.

war.ace
January 12th, 2009, 15:09
if it is made for ps3 they can have a blu ray disk for the game. lol I wish