PDA

View Full Version : Norweigan Navy blows up their own Ship

IanHenry
June 9th, 2013, 02:13
This film shows how devastating modern missiles are:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/norway-missile-test--knm-trondheim-naval-missile-strike-andoy-120815653.html?vp=1#lT2ii9C

Ian.

PS I hope you can access it in your countrys.

stiz
June 9th, 2013, 03:42
i do hate how everyones lashed onto the fact they blew up one of their rust buckets to test a new missile, we do it all the time and no one even batters an eye lid at that, but as always, as its someone else doing it it must be more interesting!! :banghead:

IanHenry
June 9th, 2013, 05:53
i do hate how everyones lashed onto the fact they blew up one of their rust buckets to test a new missile, we do it all the time and no one even batters an eye lid at that, but as always, as its someone else doing it it must be more interesting!! :banghead:

So sorry if I've offended you Stiz, I just thought members might like to watch the film, that's all. If you don't like it then please don't watch it!

Ian.

Firekitten
June 9th, 2013, 06:03
Nice missile... thats certainly a crippling hit, Imagine if they had wanted to sink it.... what? two? three shots? and its off the planet.

Not especially a big deal, all major powers test like that, though I'm sure some environmental groups will whine, but I've been told test ships like that are cleaned out before being used as targets to minimise pollution.

Willy
June 9th, 2013, 08:17
We've done it to old decommisioned supercarriers. But we went all the way and sunk the ship. Still cool to see. With today's weaponry, the next major war at sea isn't going to be anything like WW II.

Daveroo
June 9th, 2013, 08:32
im wondering if they hit the super structure on purpose ,rather than sink it,,,new missile ,test fire,myself,if i were a commander..id want to see the damage,see what the missile did to the ship,the extent,so if adjustments to the missile's warhead or overall design needed something...you could have the ship to do a "forensic" like examination of the ship....im pretty sure by just looking at the video and the hit..had it been at the waterline,or just below..she would have sunk...so..my guess is...this was done as research..

stiz
June 9th, 2013, 09:12
So sorry if I've offended you Stiz, I just thought members might like to watch the film, that's all. If you don't like it then please don't watch it!

Ian.

not you in particular, its mostly the press. I could have been clearer when i posted and used press instead of everyone :wavey:

N2056
June 9th, 2013, 09:21
The Tender I was assigned to for two years is sitting on the bottom somewhere off the Atlantic coast. It was a gunnery target first, then they brought out the good stuff...:icon31:

TARPSBird
June 9th, 2013, 10:22
My old destroyer, USS Comte De Grasse (DD-974), was used as a SinkEx target in 2006. Better to see old ships sunk in the line of duty than tied up derelict to be chopped up later by some fly-by-night salvage company, as happened to another one of my old ships, USS Coral Sea (CV-43).

CWOJackson
June 9th, 2013, 11:32
Impressive. It's not that the warhead is really all that powerful, but that ships today are built lightly and any armor is electronic.

A heavy cruiser from the previous century would be relatively immune to most "surface ordnance" today.

Willy
June 9th, 2013, 12:03
The only ship that I was on that any armor to speak of was the USS Lexington CVT-16. And it's an Essex class CV. I was surprised at a how thin the metal is on a Whibdey Island class LSD. I'm thinking that with the right ammo, you could shoot through it with a 30-06. And they kept us within artillery range of the Bosnian coast for a few months.

JensOle
June 10th, 2013, 22:44
Nice to see that we are getting a good replacement for the AGM-119 Penguin (which itself was a rather advanced design for its small size, believe the Kiwis just both the Australian Penguin stocks for the new SH-2s).

The major military powers test ordonance all the time, what I think stands out here is that the "peace loving" Norwegians" have made a new "super" missile which is even fires from a new Stealth corvette. And we show it of with a big kabooom..

It will be interesting to see the NSM evolve into the Joint Strike Missile for use on the F-35. It can open up a very large market for Kongsberg.

SSI01
June 11th, 2013, 04:41
That missile may have been programmed to hit "high" so its effects could be studied in detail before they sink what's left of the target. I recall the Navy did something like that at Bikini after the A-bomb drop there in 1946. Whatever was not sunk was boarded and inspected (quickly) for damage assessment. Of course, sinking it would remove all doubt, wouldn't it?

JensOle
June 11th, 2013, 08:53
Yes, I believe you are very much correct. The imaging ir homing sensor can be programed to hit pretty much wherever you want on a ship. I remember reading a pre test interview with the guys prepping the ship and they said the plan was to not sink the ship so that it can be used in more tests. We don't have a large stockpile of larger military warships to be used for targets here in Norway..