PDA

View Full Version : RE: Box Factory

brad kaste
June 8th, 2013, 05:42
Hi All,
Every once in awhile a video comes along that really moves me. This 14 minute one surely does. It centers around an old fashioned steam powered saw mill that manufactures mini boxes. These boxes will eventually contain various book sets to be sold in book stores.
What a delight to hear the blowing of the steam whistle,...or the hissing of the steam going to various machinery to run them. And the clanking of metal parts or the slapping of the conveyor belts while Ol' Fido is sleeping the day away on the factory floor.
Even though machinery is older than a 100 years,...it's well maintained by a small staff of workers. Seems there's constant lubrication like you'd have on a steam locomotive.
They even show the burning embossing done to the boxes at the end of the video. Kinda' like cowboy branding of cattle. Anyway,....grab a cup of coffee,...sit back and relax,...and view an occupation that's all but gone from the modern scene.

Phillips Bros Steam Powered Mill & Box Factory (http://youtube.googleapis.com/v/_mKSKZau9qs)

n4gix
June 8th, 2013, 06:33
That was actually quite fascinating! Thanks for sharing this find! :salute:

aeromed202
June 8th, 2013, 07:24
Thanks, I must have grinned fifty times through that. Took me right back to my wood working years, the hand made machinery, the smells, the sounds, not a steam driven place though. Wonder how they avoid OSHA issues.

arfyhun
June 8th, 2013, 09:44
Quite brilliant. Thank you very much for posting. I'd work there for free if I could afford to! Not too sure about the hairy four legged M.D./Time & Motion expert though. He appeared to be leaning on the workforce a lot, (when he wasn't leaning against the floor!)

Graham.

rhumbaflappy
June 8th, 2013, 10:51
I see the doggie's tail is only 4" long. :eek:

KellyB
June 8th, 2013, 14:40
A wonderful blast from the past. Thanks.

As much as I loved the steam engine, I was taken with the Surely Up to Code electrical to the wood burner!

There was an episode of This Old House in which a trip to a shutter mill in New Hampshire which was run from a water wheel horizontally mounted in the stream. All the late 19th and early 20th century machines were driven by enormous belts which were moved from one large pulley wheel to another with a large pole to change power from machine to machine.

OSHA was avoided simply because all employees were members of the same family, and OSHA therefore had no jurisdiction. Had an inspector happened into the factory, he would have passed out!!!

It was wonderful! I'll see if I can hunt it down.

UPDATE: Its in Season 9, The Westwood House, episode 14.

FlameOut
June 9th, 2013, 04:06
Had to "Pause it" at 0:58 ...just to respond... Lov-N-it ... now back to the video... :salute:

addendum: What the-L-, I'd work there all week for a couple cups of Joe each morning and a sandwich every afternoon!
OSHA can kiss my ARSE...I guess they do have their place tho...

Jagdflieger
June 9th, 2013, 09:23
Great stuff! I've purchased or seen many of the products shown in the video. My favorites... Rouge Ales and the salmon.