PDA

View Full Version : Various Fixes for FSX

Paularx
September 26th, 2008, 21:15
Hi Guys,

In the interest of collecting accumulated knowledge about user-base fixes for FSX, I'll start this thread with the sollution to the Grumman Goose sound bug as was posted over at Flightsim.com by "elindok" - thanks!:applause:

//----------------
Fix for the Grumman Goose sound problem:
//----------------

Go to your Goose/Sound/SOUND.CONFIG and scroll down to
[COMBUSTION.1.03]
filename=GGoos_RPM04_Right

The above should be changed to read :

filename=GGoos_RPM04_Left

//-----------

Paularx
September 26th, 2008, 21:25
Post found on Phill Taylor's Blog !

//------------------------
Improving shadow detail.
//-------------------------

Note, it is possible to tweak the shadow quality somewhat. Try adding this to the [DISPLAY] section of the FSX.cfg file:
ShadowMappingQuality=n
where n can be 0,1,2,3.
The 1st 2 values affect the size of the shadow map. The 2nd 2 values affect the filtering algorithm.
In the D3D9 code path, this affects the external model shadow maps.
In the D3D10 code path, this affects the external model as the interior model ( VC ) shadow maps are hardcoded to the highest quality level.
You may be able to make the ground shadows look a bit better by tweaking this.

Paularx
September 26th, 2008, 21:42
Post by P12C (Paul Lange) from his Blog:

//------------------------------
Customising shift+Z information
//------------------------------

I've been meaning to blog about this forever, and now I finally will. In FSX we implemented the ability to customize the information shown at the top of the screen when you press "shift+z." In the [CONTROLS] section of fsx.cfg there are headings of [TextInfo.1] [TextInfo.2] [TextInfo.3] and [SlewTextInfo.1] [SlewTextInfo.2] [SlewTextInfo.3]. These sections define what will be seen each time you press shift+z when in normal or slew modes. You can create as many of these as you can stand to cycle through.

Under each of the sub-sections described above are variable names followed by =X,X where the X's are numbers. These numbers define the line and placement on the line. So -
[TextInfo.1]
Latitude=1,1
Longitude=1,2

means that on the first press of shift+z the latitude will be displayed on line one in the first spot on the line and Longitude will be displayed on the same line just to the right of latitude.
In the example below, on the third press of shift+z, there are six different values on the first line and four values on the second line.
[TextInfo.3]
Latitude=1,1
Longitude=1,2
Altitude=1,3
Heading=1,4
AirSpeed=1,5
WindDirectionAndSpeed=1,6
FrameRate=2,1
LockedFrameRate=2,2
GForce=2,3
FuelPercentage=2,4

You can have as many lines of information as you want on any given press of shift+z, but you do need to be aware of how much horizontal space a given line will take up across the screen.
Below is the list of variables you can display using shift+z. Using the format described above, you can put them in any order you want. I personally am using "HeadingTrue" on my slew info because occasionally we want to aim with the aircraft to help define an appropriate heading for something in a mission and all the mission objects are based on true heading instead of magnetic heading (the variable of just "Heading" is actually magnetic heading and is displayed as MAG on-screen). I also find TrueAirspeed and AltitudeAGL helpful on occasion as well.
Latitude<o:p></o:p>
LatitudeDec<o:p></o:p>
LatitudeHex<o:p></o:p>
Longitude<o:p></o:p>
LongitudeDec<o:p></o:p>
LongitudeHex<o:p></o:p>
Altitude<o:p></o:p>
AltitudeAgl<o:p></o:p>
Heading<o:p></o:p>
HeadingHex<o:p></o:p>
HeadingTrue<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Airspeed<o:p></o:p> TrueAirspeed<o:p></o:p>
WindDirectionAndSpeed<o:p></o:p>
WindSpeed<o:p></o:p>
WindDirection<o:p></o:p>
FrameRate<o:p></o:p>
LockedFrameRate<o:p></o:p>
GForce<o:p></o:p>
FuelPercentage<o:p></o:p>
FuelRemainingGallons<o:p></o:p>
FuelRemainingPounds<o:p></o:p>
VerticalSpeed<o:p></o:p>
AngleOfAttack<o:p></o:p>
VideoDevice<o:p></o:p>
AverageFrameRate

txnetcop
September 27th, 2008, 05:21
Hey Amigo don't be bashful about blogging in here with solutions...very good thank you. This area does not belong to me I am only the moderator and appreciate anything you guys find that works for all.
Ted

thudpilot
October 14th, 2008, 16:45
A DX10 patch was released for FSX. They have a “DX10 Preview” implemented in the latest service pack for FSX (SP 2). It requires Vista since DX10 only works on Vista (DX10 Preview requires Vista…You don’t have to have Vista to use FSX SP2). Also, they made some improvements to multi-core processing in FSX for the new Intel Quad-Core machines. You can read some information here:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3689/sponsored_feature_microsoft_.php?page=1 (http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3689/sponsored_feature_microsoft_.php?page=1)<o:p></o:p>
Downloads for SP2:<o:p></o:p>
http://www.fsinsider.com/downloads/Pages/FlightSimulatorXServicePack2.aspx (http://www.fsinsider.com/downloads/Pages/FlightSimulatorXServicePack2.aspx)

txnetcop
October 14th, 2008, 18:15
Thanks Cliff, much appreciated
Ted