PDA

View Full Version : Adobe Photoshop goes Subscription Only

tommieboy
June 7th, 2013, 11:14
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop.html

Not so sure I want to pay $20 a month (Annual Plan) for the rest of my life to use Photoshop.....and you know that that $20 a month is going to go up too eventually.

I have got Photoshop CS4 and run it on an WIN XP HOME computer; I was just checking to see what new features have been incorporated in the lasted edition to see if it was worth upgrading to it. It's all moot in that the newest version of Photoshop CC will not run on an XP computer in any case, so I'll be saving $20 a month for the time being.

Just thought you Photoshop user's should know this.....

Tommy

norab
June 7th, 2013, 11:46
so you get to pay $240 a year plus no access if your internet or their servers go down (and Big Brother :kilroy: checking your work for you) Not for me

dougal
June 7th, 2013, 12:09
Back to PSP it is then eh? ;-)

roger-wilco-66
June 7th, 2013, 12:17
I think this will backfire on the private consumer sales.
We users of older versions will probably stay with these as long as possible. I also don't see much improvement over the last versions that really concern our specific hobby. So why switch when you have to pay more on the long run.

Despite that, I love working with Photoshop.

Cheers,
Mark

Chuck Lawsen
June 7th, 2013, 14:25
I have CS5 and called to see what the options were and was told that registered owners of CS products can get a discount for Adobe Creative Cloud for half price - i.e. $10/mo. - for a year through July 31st, then it will be $20/mo. (or no doubt more at some point) on renewal. I then asked if the upgrade to CS6 was still available and it is - so I now have CS6 which cost $199. For us texture painters, keeping an old vs. of Photoshop will work just fine for the future - but if you also use the photo editor for photographs you've made from a new camera and you shoot in raw format you will not be able to open the photo in an older vs. of PS because the old vs. will not be supported, meaning you would need an update for the "Camera Raw" file. I teach photo workshops so I need to be able to open student's images for the critique sessions, thus I will need a new vs. so it will be compatible for any new camera that comes out. In case any of you shoot in the raw format, and want a work around - I figure I'll just get a current copy of Photoshop Elements ($99 for a new copy which happens every year in Sep., and I've found downloads available for a lot less). That way you can open the file, save as a DNG (Adobe's own raw format), a PSD, or Tiff and be able to open the file anytime in the future. I'm not paying them $240 either at this point. The advantages though for Adobe Cloud is that the user will receive updates which will be revisions or new tools and applications, and 20GB of storage plus the ability to share files with another cloud user - not enough for me to pony up a grand every 4 years at this point though.

aeronca1
June 8th, 2013, 06:57
Adobe, is that the death knell I hear ringing?

DaveSHQ
June 16th, 2013, 06:45
GIMP FTW!!

huub vink
June 16th, 2013, 07:18
The main market for Adobe Photoshop is most likely professional photographers and publishers, I think for them there isn't much difference whether they need to buy an expensive program once in a while or work with a subscription.
For us who are using these photo editing programs just as a drawing program it doesn't make any sense to pay a monthly fee. But We should alo realise that we are no market for Adobe. I will stick with my ancient Paint Shop Pro 7 version as long as my PC's operating system allows me. And after that I hope Gimp is still around.....

Cheers,
Huub