PDA

View Full Version : It's beautiful in Costa Rica

Navy Chief
June 7th, 2013, 09:06
April (my fiancee) and I got here on the 5th. Very beautiful here! This is the view from the little house we are renting. Will be here until June 19. All the best to SOH members. NC

Toastmaker
June 7th, 2013, 09:53
It certainly is ! Have a great time, Chief. It'll be tough to leave.

:running:

CWOJackson
June 7th, 2013, 09:53
Enjoy it. There's a thriving U.S. community there.

Jagdflieger
June 7th, 2013, 09:58
!Buen Suerte en Coast Rica!

Odie
June 7th, 2013, 10:03
Good deal, Chief! That looks a lot like the terrain Arnold slugged thru in the movie Predator.... :mixedsmi:

p3aewguy
June 7th, 2013, 10:10
Hey Chief,

Beautiful! Send more pictures!

P3aewguy

Bushpounder
June 7th, 2013, 14:25
Looks great, Chief. I hope you and April enjoy yourselves!!

Don

txnetcop
June 7th, 2013, 16:23
Jealously happy for ya Chief...enjoy!!!:jump:
Ted

Navy Chief
June 8th, 2013, 07:38
Hey again. No Internet at the place we are renting, so we go next door to some friends house, and use their wireless. Went looking at some houses in the neighborhood, one of which is for sale. Absolutely beautiful. If the price is right, I will go for it.

NC

Ickie
June 8th, 2013, 08:15
in 1975 I was released from the army in Panama and got permission to drive back to the states.
I left pamama city in the morning and got to costa rica that evening and spent the night, in the morning I startrd the trek through costa rica and started up a mountain, about 1 PM I drove through the clouds and still had a ways to go, about 4 pm I was at the top of terror mountain, lol and started down wow what a ride it took all day to get over this mountain with narrow roads with them big busses all around me.
Thats all i recall of costa rica.

stansdds
June 8th, 2013, 10:05
April (my fiancee) and I got here on the 5th. Very beautiful here! This is the view from the little house we are renting. Will be here until June 19. All the best to SOH members. NC

Wow! What an awesome view!

luckydog
June 8th, 2013, 10:59
:applause::applause::applause:

ThinkingManNeil
June 8th, 2013, 11:17
Great place for volcano watching. Arenal often puts on a good show...

N.

Navy Chief
June 9th, 2013, 07:00
More pictures. This is from patio of house we are interested; up the street from where we are renting.

Navy Chief
June 9th, 2013, 07:04
More....

Daveroo
June 9th, 2013, 08:11
hey Navy Chief,April's a looker..whats she see in you?.....:icon_lol:......i was going to make a joke about "do ya have enough electric power to run a puter for flight simulator",but i see what appears to be a nicely strung powerlines in the one photo,,so there went that "joke"...and then i spotted that oven behind April in the pic of her,now i want to come down ,just so i can cook in that...lol..i love those type of ovens,with a live fire inside,make real food there...

awesome move...i know you dont care for the US presidents health care system...i hope what you find there is better for you...i envie you to be able to make the change,i would love to be able to do somethng like this myself,and who knows..i may,im totally dependent on SSD/medicare/medical at this point...and the way things are going...i may end up homeless again at some point...if that happens...ill take my few things i have left and leave.

Crusader
June 9th, 2013, 13:53
Outstanding view Chief from the place you both are looking at . Just one question , what kind of varmits (snakes etc) are lurking in all that beautiful terrain ?

Rich

glh
June 9th, 2013, 15:33
What about mosquitoes ??

Ickie
June 9th, 2013, 16:11
Homer don't lick the pretty frogs, lol (doope)

the firtleance snakes and bushmaster snakes lurk in the jungle.

huge spiders with hair on them are everywhere.

watch out for the black palm trees.
mosquitoes are the state bird,

MCDesigns
June 9th, 2013, 19:55
Outstanding view Chief from the place you both are looking at . Just one question , what kind of varmits (snakes etc) are lurking in all that beautiful terrain ?

Rich

that is my biggest concern looking at the grass and foliage around that house. I hate scorpions, ants and spiders, all of which there are plenty of in Costa Rica. And with lots of Bushmasters, coral snakes, and the fer-de-lance running around, I would be a nervous wreck, LOL. Other than that I am envious, looks amazing, good luck with it all!!

I have a coworker that is from there and is going to visit her Dad soon and I am thinking seriously about going with her just to see it for myself.

Navy Chief
June 10th, 2013, 11:11
Hey all.

Well, the house we really like (up the hill from us), is owned by more than one French-Canadian family, and a nightmare to buy as a result. So that one, unfortunately, is out of the question:(

But a real estate rep took us to see several properties this morning. Looks like a modest-sized home (new construction) would run about 125-130K. And lease to own is quite normal. So we are thinking about doing just that one year from next month or so. Moving here is a daunting task, but really believe it is doable.

Am not worried about snakes. Lawn work costs (on the average) about $3 per hour. Cheap. I will pay someone to do the yard work, and worry about the creepy crawlies.

Have not seen one mosquito, and from what they tell me....are not a problem! NC

CWOJackson
June 10th, 2013, 11:18
Hey all.

Well, the house we really like (up the hill from us), is owned by more than one French-Canadian family, and a nightmare to buy as a result. So that one, unfortunately, is out of the question:(

But a real estate rep took us to see several properties this morning. Looks like a modest-sized home (new construction) would run about 125-130K. And lease to own is quite normal. So we are thinking about doing just that one year from next month or so. Moving here is a daunting task, but really believe it is doable.

Am not worried about snakes. Lawn work costs (on the average) about $3 per hour. Cheap. I will pay someone to do the yard work, and worry about the creepy crawlies.

Have not seen one mosquito, and from what they tell me....are not a problem! NC

A new Chief's Club in the making...!

Navy Chief
June 10th, 2013, 11:57
A new Chief's Club in the making...!

With the houses being so small, perhaps a CPO "Corner" perhaps!

One interesting anecdote......when I go to watch a streaming video on my IPAD here, the movies all have Spanish subtitles!

No Internet at the house we are renting. I go through withdrawal every day! Have to walk to neighbors, and sit on their porch to get net access.

Food (groceries) is not cheap here. Property taxes are almost non existent though, and no one carries home insurance. So I suppose it's a trade off. NC

Naismith
June 10th, 2013, 12:39
The only advice I can proffer in relation to moving countries, is, whatever the costs you envisage in the move, and be honestly realistic to yourself, then add 50%. There are always hidden and forgotten transactions/accidents/events that will jump and bite you when you least need them.

CWOJackson
June 10th, 2013, 14:41
With the houses being so small, perhaps a CPO "Corner" perhaps!

One interesting anecdote......when I go to watch a streaming video on my IPAD here, the movies all have Spanish subtitles!

No Internet at the house we are renting. I go through withdrawal every day! Have to walk to neighbors, and sit on their porch to get net access.

Food (groceries) is not cheap here. Property taxes are almost non existent though, and no one carries home insurance. So I suppose it's a trade off. NC

Chief,

I don't have the link any longer but a year ago someone gave me a link to a website for U.S. people moving to Costa Rica; the community down there is pretty tight from what I saw.

As I recall, the website offered some very realistic, unvarnished and practical information for those thinking of making the jump; including more than 50% will go back to the states within a year.

See if anyone there can hook you up and check it out.

Good luck

Navy Chief
June 11th, 2013, 06:27
Chief,

I don't have the link any longer but a year ago someone gave me a link to a website for U.S. people moving to Costa Rica; the community down there is pretty tight from what I saw.

As I recall, the website offered some very realistic, unvarnished and practical information for those thinking of making the jump; including more than 50% will go back to the states within a year.

See if anyone there can hook you up and check it out.

Good luck

I know the website you mentioned, and have been to it often. Yes, the expat community is tight here. Am also aware of the percentage of those who return to the states. The thing is, in my situation, we would HAVE to make it work, because I will not have the money to start over. So I am making darn sure of our decision, and then commit to making it work, because we will have no other choice. NC

CWOJackson
June 11th, 2013, 08:16
I know the website you mentioned, and have been to it often. Yes, the expat community is tight here. Am also aware of the percentage of those who return to the states. The thing is, in my situation, we would HAVE to make it work, because I will not have the money to start over. So I am making darn sure of our decision, and then commit to making it work, because we will have no other choice. NC

If anyone can make it work, an old school Chief can!

You're going into it with open eyes, a good attitude and full knowledge; you'll do well.