PDA

View Full Version : ATC Question?

rdaniell
June 7th, 2013, 06:36
How do I get the airplane to say Air Force 121 (for example) when contacting ATC. I used to know how to do this for FS9 but have completely forgotten how. Here's what I have in the aircraft cfg file.
atc_heavy=0
atc_id=Air Force
atc_airline=Air Force
atc_flight_number=121
atc_parking_types=MIL_COMBAT
atc_parking_codes=T28
atc_id_font=Verdana,-11,1,600,0

I also added Air Force to the Airlines file.

Thanks.

RD

WarHorse47
June 7th, 2013, 06:55
atc_id should be the same as your atc_flight_number for starters. I typically use the total aircraft serial number for the atc_id. Here is an example from my Aircraft Factory Corsair.

[fltsim.0]
title=Corsair 1A 1
sim=corsair
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=marines
kb_checklists=
kb_reference=
ui_manufacturer=Chance Vought
ui_type=F4U-1A
ui_variation=Marines
ui_typerole="Single Engine Prop"
ui_createdby="Aircraft Factory"
atc_airline=MARINE
description=Chance Vought F4U-1A
atc_id=18086
atc_flight_number=086
atc_heavy=0
atc_id_color=0000000000
visual_damage=0

The other thing that gets overlooked are the entries in the [General] section for the aircraft_type and aircraft_model.

In the case of the Corsair, here's my entry.

[General]
atc_type=CHANCE VOUGHT
atc_model=CORSAIR

I use EditVoicePack for both FS9 and FSX, as well as the SDK as reference to the standard entries for airline, type and model. When it doesn't exist, I then create my own such as BEECHCRAFT for the new Staggerwing. Since I created a lot for FS9, I'm now importing a few over for FSX.

One additional suggestion. Oftentimes developers don't set up these entries correctly. For example, they will have the airline as MARINES vs. MARINE. The later entry is the correct one.

Hope that helps

rdaniell
June 7th, 2013, 07:15
Thanks War Horse. Looks like I was real close.

EDIT: I just made a few changes and now I have the airplanes contacting ground control, e.g., as Ground, Air Force 561.....

RD

Victory103
June 7th, 2013, 12:30
RD, Editvoicepack is must for FSX. Thanks to all the various mil AI, I have most of the commonly used callsigns. The VRS Super Bug came with all callsigns for each squadron, saving me the trouble of making them.

Another trick on the atc_model is to type in "SILENT", that way stock ATC will not say what type the model is, ex. "traffic is a Lockheed C-130 at 2 o'clock" to shorten and more accurate "traffic is a C-130 on final".

[General]
atc_type=SILENT
atc_model=T28

rdaniell
June 7th, 2013, 13:05
RD, Editvoicepack is must for FSX. Thanks to all the various mil AI, I have most of the commonly used callsigns. The VRS Super Bug came with all callsigns for each squadron, saving me the trouble of making them. Another trick on the atc_model is to type in "SILENT", that way stock ATC will not say what type the model is, ex. "traffic is a Lockheed C-130 at 2 o'clock" to shorten and more accurate "traffic is a C-130 on final".
[General]
atc_type=SILENT
atc_model=T28

Thanks Victory103.

RD

WarHorse47
June 7th, 2013, 13:13
If you leave the atc_airline= without an entry, it will refer to the atc_type. As with my Corsair example, instead of "Marine 086" you will get "Chance Vought 086." Normal traffic chatter will continue to recognize you as a 'Chance Vought Corsair."

Another technique I've used is to create an airline (using EditVoicePack) after the aircraft type such as atc_airline=CORSAIR. I did this after watching Steve Hinton fly the Planes of Fame Corsair in one of the Roaring Glory Warbird DVDs. On take off he checked in with the tower as 'Corsair XXX" which, to me, tends to be more realistic when flying an old warbird into modern airport.

rdaniell
June 7th, 2013, 13:40
WarHorse47 and Victory103, I copied and pasted your posts to notepad and saved it for future reference.
Thanks again to both of you.:salute:

RD

DickB
June 8th, 2013, 00:50
Another trick on the atc_model is to type in "SILENT", that way stock ATC will not say what type the model is, ex. "traffic is a Lockheed C-130 at 2 o'clock" to shorten and more accurate "traffic is a C-130 on final".

[General]
atc_type=SILENT
atc_model=T28

I think you can use any name that is not a valid type to produce the same effect. I use DUMMY in the same way. If you leave it blank, ATC says "Experimental"

I also use the "aircraft type as airline name" method that Warhorse mentions. The only problem I found with that is that if I use it for AI a/c they are treated as airliners, and get pushed back before they start up. Real strange to see a Lancaster back up before starting its engines !

rdaniell
June 8th, 2013, 04:52
I think you can use any name that is not a valid type to produce the same effect. I use DUMMY in the same way. If you leave it blank, ATC says "Experimental" I also use the "aircraft type as airline name" method that Warhorse mentions. The only problem I found with that is that if I use it for AI a/c they are treated as airliners, and get pushed back before they start up. Real strange to see a Lancaster back up before starting its engines !

I'm all in favor of anything that gets rid of ATC using "EXPERIMENTAL" for airplanes that do not have an "experimental classification."

RD