PDA

View Full Version : Future building project

OBIO
June 2nd, 2013, 16:50
Today at work, I saw two 4 foot long sections of old lumber...they are building a new break room for my department and had to cut out some of the original framing....and this framing lumber is not like something you can find in your local lumber yard any more. 16 inches wide and nearly 4 inches thick. As soon as I saw it in the scrap hopper, my brain lit up like a Christmas tree and I instantly knew that I have to get my hands onto that wood. What I saw in my mind was the coolest entertainment stand of all time. The plan, as it manifested itself in my head, is to use the two large timber pieces as the top and bottom shelves of the unit. To widen them, I will wrap them with 2 by 4, mitred at the corners. To tie this unit into my living room decor...all of my picture frames are black (for the larger pieces of art work) and Cherry (for the smaller pieces of art work)...so the 2 by 4 wraps will get several smooth coats of high gloss black enamel. The main timber areas of the shelves will first get two light coats of Mahogany stain to darken the wood a bit and to seal the grain....followed by 8 to 12 coats of polyurethane based, high gloss Cherry stain.

Sounds good so far doesn't it? It's about to get even better.

The middle shelf and the back and side supports that hold all the shelves in place......will be made out of 1/4 inch thick PLATE STEEL...which I will give a ubber cool and OH SO sweet engine turning treatment....engine turning makes the metal look like this:

http://cache.jalopnik.com/assets/resources/2007/01/engine_tanker_canopy.JPG

Now...how cool is that entertainment center going to look? And it will be a one of a kind piece.

Well...this plan can only happen if the plant manager gives me the okay to grab those pieces out of the scrap hopper and lug them home...all wood (and cardboard) that is disposed of at out plant is "income generating".....sold to recycling centers or businesses that use scrap wood in their manufacturing....so just taking the pieces of timber without approval from a high level executive would be considered theft of company property....and I don't want to lose my job over two pieces of scrap wood...even in they are very beautiful pieces of large dimension lumber.

Tim

arfyhun
June 3rd, 2013, 10:40
Tim, with all the posibilities factored in, have you costed the price of a new set of rear springs for yer motor?!!!

Graham. (Wink)

OBIO
June 3rd, 2013, 19:04
Got with the plant manager today...told him about the wood and what I wanted to do with it....he said he would take a look at it as soon as he could. He saw me around lunch and told me that I could have the wood and to make sure to bring in photos of the finished project. The wood is now in the trunk of my car......YEA! Now to find time to begin the project.

Tim