PDA

View Full Version : CEF/FSDS AT-6 (SNJ-5) Repaint request...

ThinkingManNeil
June 2nd, 2013, 11:01
I'd like to make a repaint request for the Carter/Eckert/Flahault FSDS AT-6/SNJ Texan. I was delighted to finally get this delightful aircraft finally working after several boneheaded attempts on my part to get it started (Read the manual, dammit!") and some timely help from John (aka Bomber_12th) as well as a nice performance update from him, I've been wanting a repaint that would match what I'd want on an SNJ in the real world if I were fortunate to own one. I had the opportunity to fly both an AT-6G and a couple of Harvard MK.IV's several times when I was a member of the CWHM several years back and they quickly became favourites of mine as they are such a fun airplane to fly.

There was a Hawker Sea Fury in Europe, I believe, that used to wear a very striking, deep metallic Midnight Blue paint colour 88091 (before it was repainted a more conventional Gloss Sea Blue after trading its Bristol Centaurus engine and 5-blade prop for and Wright radial and 4-blade propeller from a Douglas Skyraider) that I thought would look great for my dream SNJ, but with some variation. I pictured it in that deep blue colour carrying Royal Canadian Navy markings, a polished metal prop spinner and cowl ring on the leading edge of the engine cowl, and an unpainted metal framework for the canopy...

I'm not sure how many here are familiar with Sky Harbor Aircraft of Goderich, Ontario, but they built up
a reputation in the warbird community of producing a number of award winning paint schemes for various warbirds. A couple of years ago, on August 21, 2011, Goderich was hit by an F3 tornado that had started out as a waterspout on nearby Lake Huron. One man was killed and 37 others were injured by the storm, and much of Goderich's unique and picturesque town centre was either heavily damaged or destroyed. The town is still rebuilding and from what I've heard Sky Harbor was forced to suspend operations for lack of work (whether this was related in any way to the storm I do not know).

I would like to dedicate this repaint to all the men, women, and children, the heroic first responders, rebuilders, medical teams, charity workers, victims, survivors and just plain folks who have had to suffer and endure and re-build from these horrific storms, wherever they may be...

N.