PDA

View Full Version : A Flying Legend Over My Hometown

Mickey D
June 2nd, 2013, 10:30
A BBMF Spitfire did a mini display over my hometown of Brighouse in West Yorkshire today. The culmination of a 40s weekend. Amazingly we had blue skies. The sound of a Merlin never fails to get to me. Turn up the volume. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTDIN3cDjKA . After 3 or 4 passes he left with a waggle of his wings. Brilliant. I can't claim credit for the video as I was watching from above the town.

brad kaste
June 2nd, 2013, 11:59
Too bad he couldn't have buzzed the town at a lower altitude. Course' if he did he'd be needing a lawyer right afterwards......

Jagdflieger
June 2nd, 2013, 12:30
Tis music to my ears too.

Roger
June 2nd, 2013, 12:42
What a great sound!

Daveroo
June 2nd, 2013, 13:54
fantastic,great sounds..i get to hear that.albeit from P-51's here,and often from big radials.well smaller ones too,,we get T-28s,T-6s,SNJs,Sea Furies from the Sanders Eagles nest.....i love the sounds.....but man..."blue skys"?...that would be a horribly cloudy sky here...lol...

its currantly 96.7F (35.9C) with a 18% relative humidity...

Willy
June 2nd, 2013, 14:01
Loved it. I've never got to see a Spitfire up close. I'm wondering which one of the BBMF Spitfires it was.

IanHenry
June 3rd, 2013, 02:36
Great Mickey, but where's the brass band?

Regards,
Ian.

SSI01
June 3rd, 2013, 04:21
its currantly 96.7F (35.9C) with a 18% relative humidity...

We're in the low 90s here already. What's with those wildfires the news says are "exploding" in size over there in Cal? Sounds like a busy start to the fire season. Your rel. humid. is low, sure with we had that here for a little while.

Mickey D
June 3rd, 2013, 04:32
T'Briggus and Rastrick Brass Band were playing on both days. No doubt the Floral Dance got in there somewhere. For our "colonial" cousins this is t'band Ian's referring to. Ee champion! :jump: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5gWGFy8EW0

Daveroo
June 3rd, 2013, 09:04
We're in the low 90s here already. What's with those wildfires the news says are "exploding" in size over there in Cal? Sounds like a busy start to the fire season. Your rel. humid. is low, sure with we had that here for a little while.

THE rh OF 18% was a little high for the normal here in my area,the guy here in SOH who is up closer to redding/redbluff...or chico..cant remember his handle right now..their RH may differ...but ours hovers between 5 and 15% in summer...usual summers that is..not a cloud in the sky today...its 80F now and 36%rh now.at 10:02am..

but the lower sacramento valley is expecting 106F by next weekend with the RH around 4-5% according to CalFires weather prediction from 5 minutes ago...not good...

Daveroo
June 3rd, 2013, 09:07
T'Briggus and Rastrick Brass Band were playing on both days. No doubt the Floral Dance got in there somewhere. For our "colonial" cousins this is t'band Ian's referring to. Ee champion! :jump: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5gWGFy8EW0

thats cool...i wish people here would get together and do those small gatherings with "hometown pride" and have brass bands...softball games between towns...sure the kids have leages..but im talking town against town..with the losing team and company cooking the BBQ that night..sort of thing.....but sheeesh..in the USA someone would get upset and pull a gun if a band member hit a wrong note...

beana51
June 3rd, 2013, 09:46
Something About a Spitfire that stirs one..I hope they fly forever...Thanx..Vin!

dhasdell
June 3rd, 2013, 09:54
Did Terry Wogan coom oop to sing to t'band?

Mickey D
June 3rd, 2013, 12:02
Did Terry Wogan coom oop to sing to t'band? No! He's barred.

dhasdell
June 4th, 2013, 21:39
Careful - the ire of the ToGs is terrible when once aroused.

OleBoy
June 5th, 2013, 02:42
Awoke in the wee hours of the morning as I could not sleep, I hopped on my PC for a bit of SOH reading material. Having found this topic, I had to listen to the beauty of the Merlin as it buzzed the skies. What a sound. An excellent treat to have fly over you. I wish I was there. My further reading down the thread I find a link to an excellent brass ensemble. T'Briggus and Rastrick Brass Band. I had to listen. They sounded magnificent! I love rich music that tells a story. After listening, I craved more. Some outstanding Euphonium players warmed my soul.

Try a search on Google for those interested in some of (in my opinion) some of the best sounds coming from fine instruments.

Steven Mead, http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=fZ1TEynXyq0

Mickey D
June 26th, 2013, 06:57
Just thought I'd revive this thread to post this link. Music more appropriate I think. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3adn4nFdbWo

Cirrus N210MS
June 26th, 2013, 07:24
its great when there is not a sound outside and then out of the blue a b25 or a p51 goes over head love the engine sounds

Ferry_vO
June 26th, 2013, 11:12
There's another video from that same day but on a different location here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbXJm-CNbVY

Looks like either the PM631 or the PS915 to me (Watch just past 1:00, you'll clearly see the blue PR colours), so it should be a Griffon powered Mk.XIX.

Great aircraft!

nigel richards
June 26th, 2013, 11:14
A BBMF Spitfire did a mini display over my hometown of Brighouse in West Yorkshire today. The culmination of a 40s weekend. Amazingly we had blue skies. The sound of a Merlin never fails to get to me. Turn up the volume. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTDIN3cDjKA . After 3 or 4 passes he left with a waggle of his wings. Brilliant. I can't claim credit for the video as I was watching from above the town.

Lucky man!

BTW, that Merlin's a Griffon, m'ol cock! :icon_lol:

Still nice to hear, though.

Matt Wynn
June 26th, 2013, 11:29
yeah PS195 it looks to be, that ones usually out and about the most as i recall.. as the others tend to be more for the 'Airshow scene' which reminds me... 23 days till RIAT! :icon_lol:

hairyspin
June 26th, 2013, 13:06
Do my eyes deceive me, or is that Spitfire blue? I thought the engine note a bit rough so after checking, the BBMF was flying the PR Mk.XIX on 2 June, the Shuttleworth Collection show being another visit on the same day. So that is a Rolls Royce engine, but methinks it's a Griffon, not a Merlin: a much gruffer note. (it's one of my absolute favourites, the Mk.XIX)

Mickey D
June 26th, 2013, 14:22
My mistake. I wasn't actually close enough to read the serial or see the camo. I was a mile away in Rastrick. :) Still sounds good to me though.

nigel richards
June 26th, 2013, 22:08
Do my eyes deceive me, or is that Spitfire blue? I thought the engine note a bit rough so after checking, the BBMF was flying the PR Mk.XIX on 2 June, the Shuttleworth Collection show being another visit on the same day. So that is a Rolls Royce engine, but methinks it's a Griffon, not a Merlin: a much gruffer note. (it's one of my absolute favourites, the Mk.XIX)

A very special favourite of mine too, hairspin - especially in PR blue.

The ultimate version re dogfighting performance was undoubtedly the mk. IX. According to Alex Henshaw, every version that followed, carried some kind of performance penalty. By the time she reached the final marks, overall weight had almost doubled. All in the cause of meeting the many unforseen roles and demands asked of her very versatile design.

And perform she did!

Many of us will always look back in awe and cherrish the memory of that unique Spitfire duo; MH434 in the hands of the legendary and sadly, late; Ray Hanna!

Willy
June 26th, 2013, 22:16
If a Spitfire was to fly over my house, I'd think I'd died and gone to heaven (especially PS915)... About all I get to see are crop dusters although there was a Cessna 337 Skymaster circling about a couple of years ago while I was up working in the horse pasture.

magoo
June 27th, 2013, 07:40
Yeah...it's a Griff.

Merlin's got an even sounding exhaust note, Griffons trails a syncopated exhaust pulse.

Dunno. Big block stuff, I guess.