PDA

View Full Version : Another Legend Gone... RIP "Edith Bunker"

n4gix
June 1st, 2013, 15:52
Jean Stapleton passed yesterday at the age of ninety. She was one of my favorite actresses* of all time. Her protrayal of Edith in "All in the Family" must have been a real challenge to her vocal cords! Who could ever forget that loud, screeching voice? :mixedsmi:

* (yes, I know that's no PC anymore, but I don't care!) :cool:

Crusader
June 1st, 2013, 16:43
I will never forget the few episodes when Archie would blow off a little gas and Edith would say , " Arrrrchie " then a big grin would go over his face .:icon_lol: I rarely watch any comedy on TV now . All In The Family set the standard that IMO has never been quite reached .

beana51
June 1st, 2013, 16:52
Jean Stapleton, who played Archie Bunker’s long-suffering wife Edith in the long-running 1970s television series “All in the Family,” died Friday at her New York City home . She was 90. http://images.proboards.com/cry.gif..She Was Wonderful..God Rest Her Soul!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcTVvK3_jB4

Javis
June 1st, 2013, 17:47
How remarkable... Yesterday i saw an interview with Jean... It belongs to the bonus DVD that comes with the complete 'All in the Family' series that i bought a while ago (28 DVD's) which i have just finished watching. I'd watch 3 episodes each night and it has, again, been a fantastic experience. I think we can savely say that 'All in the Family' is timeless. If it would be rerun today it would still stand out to a lot of sitcoms that are currently recorded and broadcasted. The excellence in writing and acting is still almost unsurpassed. ( i haste to say that i just about think the same of 'Soap', 'Roseanne' , 'The Powers That Be' and 'Beggars & Choosers' , speaking of US TV series that is..)

Very sad to read that one of the most wonderful actresses has passed away...

R.I.P Jean, you'll always be in my heart

Boy the way Glen Miller played
Songs that made the hit parade.
Guys like us we had it made,
Those were the days.

And you knew who you were then,
Girls were girls and men were men,
Mister we could use a man
Like Herbert Hoover again.

Didn't need no welfare state,
Everybody pulled his weight.
Gee our old LaSalle ran great.
Those were the days.

EasyEd
June 1st, 2013, 17:55
Hey All,

Sad day - RIP - Edith was class pure class....

Even when "reading" Playgirl...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rBl6dCDGk0Q

-Ed-

mgchrist5
June 1st, 2013, 20:54
RIP Mrs. Stapleton. I grew up watching reruns of 'All In The Family'. Her and O'Connor were a combo never to be equaled. Although it's sad to lose another legend, solace can be found from knowing she and Archie are reunited again in eternity.

Boy the way Glen Miller played
Songs that made the hit parade.
Guys like us we had it made,
Those were the days.

And you knew who you were then,
Girls were girls and men were men,
Mister we could use a man
Like Herbert Hoover again.

Didn't need no welfare state,
Everybody pulled his weight.
Gee our old LaSalle ran great.
Those were the days.

When I was younger (and stupid...er...er :mixedsmi:), I used to think these were just goofy sitcom lyrics. Nowadays, particularly in today's nasty climate, I regard them as poetry and truth.

Dain Arns
June 2nd, 2013, 09:30
She was a very versatile, and professional actress of stage, screen, and television.
Even though she did often comedic roles, it was said her comedic timing was impeccable, she took each character she portrayed very seriously.
Often asked to "Do Edith Bunker!" in public and on talk shows, she never agreed as she felt it would have cheapened the character she created.
A dedicated Actress through and through. :applause: