PDA

View Full Version : OT: looking for info on...

Daveroo
June 1st, 2013, 15:07
sorry to do this..but is it possible to find another persons IP address while online in a chatroom ?

i chat in a online chatworld for a lack of a better term.where we just visit..no games.like the sims..or that "second world" ,the caht window is mostly Java based.but some use IRC,which is why in the past ive asked what it ment when some of you have typed IIRC.

but,several people claim they can just click on a persons profile,and then "see" all your personal information..like your IP address,and one guy has claimed even to have peoples home addresses and phone numbers...now i challenged him to tell me mine..while everyone watched...and he refused..the more i pushed..the less he typed..and then his name disappeared from chat.

but do any of you?..and i know you are a smart bunch..and most of you are pretty techie...know of any programs that can use a profile name,basically just clicking on a name and entering it..and get info?...

Mickey D
June 2nd, 2013, 10:52
As far as I'm aware you can only get the exchange, ie. general area, from a persons IP address. To get deeper than that requires the authority to do so. Police or security services for example. It's not available to Joe Bloggs. But I stand to be corrected. (I often am, Ask the wife :) )

Daveroo
June 2nd, 2013, 13:56
As far as I'm aware you can only get the exchange, ie. general area, from a persons IP address. To get deeper than that requires the authority to do so. Police or security services for example. It's not available to Joe Bloggs. But I stand to be corrected. (I often am, Ask the wife :) )

well thats what i thought as well.....i also called a friend at the local DAs office..he told me he has to get a warrent to get the information they claim to be able to get..