PDA

View Full Version : Plane crash in Virginia

paiken
May 31st, 2013, 11:54
Apparently the Cessna ran out of fuel and crashed into an apartment building. Three injured but no deaths reported.
http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Small-Plane-Crashes-Into-Herndon-Apartment-209627221.html

Daveroo
May 31st, 2013, 13:29
there were also crashes in washington state,,plane into a house there, and a midair in AZ..and the day before yesterday a doctor and his wife from sacramento went down in AZ aswell...just last night i read in the flying magazines email thingy jobbie,that the FAA is pleading with private pilots to step up theyre safety knowlage and to try to fly safer...

TeaSea
May 31st, 2013, 15:32
Running out of fuel is one of the most common reasons for GA aircraft crashes.

It's really dumb.

My Archer II holds 50 gal of 100LL, of which 48 is usable. I have a very accurate JPI fuel flow monitor which tells you your consumption to a very high degree of accuracy; But I start looking for a place to land as soon as I get below 25 Gals even though under normal cruise I have over 2 hours of fuel left. I'm just too paranoid.

Victory103
May 31st, 2013, 20:43
+1 TeaSea, my normal rentals are a Warrior and Arrow, both I plan at least 1 hr reserve based on my own clock, watching the "never" accurate gauges and reading stories like this drive home the fuel planning.

stansdds
June 1st, 2013, 04:11
Glad no one was killed in this crash. Running out of fuel makes me wonder, did they stick the tanks before starting their flight or just rely upon the fuel gauges?

Bushpounder
June 1st, 2013, 10:20
There is no reason to run out of fuel if one is paying attention during their preflight planning and preflight execution.

Don