PDA

View Full Version : Alternative AT-6 Flight Dynamics

Bomber_12th
May 23rd, 2013, 14:59
Hey all,

After receiving some requests for them, I thought I would just go ahead and provide them in a post here.

Attached is a set of alternative flight dynamics I have put together for both the Warwick "Wozza" Carter model and the Skyunlimited models, both Volumes 1 and 2.

- All of the examples are setup to have the same general flight/handling and engine/prop characteristics, though each is specific to the individual models/features.
- Stock engine/props for all models, though the Wozza models will be a smidge more 'sporty', as I accounted for there being a bit less drag on those.
- The main cockpit eye points have been adjusted to place the user's viewpoint in the accurate location as when seated in the real thing (this is most noticeably changed in the SU models).
- Corrects issues with the brakes in all models.

For the SU AT-6G and SU LT-6G, I have included a modified Panel.cfg and a gauge of mine, that will lock and unlock the tailwheel based on the position of the control stick, just like in those aircraft (stick forward unlocks the tailwheel).
The Wozza AT-6G's already come with a very similar gauge. With these FDE files, I have setup the tailwheel to be free-castoring when unlocked, just like the real aircraft. This means that when the tailwheel is unlocked, you will not be able to control it simply with the rudder pedals, and you will, accurately, have to use differential braking and some power (thrust over the rudder) to turn the aircraft in tight circles. When you get the hang of it (as I'm sure most of you already do), you can really make tight turns at slow speeds.

Take-off:
Originally during military operations, take-offs were always done at 36" MP. Some guys still use that power setting for take-off today, while others prefer 32" MP, with the thinking being that it is easier on the engine. No matter which of the two you use, the RPM at those settings will be full 2250 RPM.

Climb:
The best climb setting is 30" MP 2000 RPM (shoot for 100-105 MPH climb speed, and see what the climb rate is like - I read that it should be around 1400 fpm, and I think you should find that is the case)

Normal Cruise:
For normal cruise operation, use 26-27" MP and 1850 RPM. Depending on fuel load and cruise settings, you can be looking at a cruise speed of anywhere between 145-165 mph.

Landing:
Set the propeller for 2000 RPM

Display Flying:
Should be the same as climb settings. I primarily based the FDE files off of the flight dynamics of the Wozza models, as I feel the handling is very accurate - being a heavy aircraft to fly through rolls and loops.

INSTALLATION:
When you unzip or open up the .zip file, you'll see three main folders. Inside each is an "Airplanes" folder and inside those are the individual aircraft folders.

Please be sure to backup your files before you install these. You'll of course need to re-add any repaint entries to the Aircraft.cfg files that you may have.

Quicksand
May 23rd, 2013, 15:01
Many thanks, my friend. :salute::medals::icon29::guinness:

Bomber_12th
May 23rd, 2013, 15:01
Also, be sure to watch these videos first, and then load up your favorite AT-6, and the Dimus Fantasy of Flight scenery, and have some fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFXOpLReNgg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAHNnHBBJT8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOmH6ZiEUXg

delta_lima
May 23rd, 2013, 15:27
Thanks John,

I was following the other thread - thankfully it stayed true to the topic - tempting though it was, to reply to a certain boorish, self-entitled ingratitude .... :pop4:

... anyway .... just a comment to say "THANKS!" for the Wozza Texan fixes. I know you're maybe a bit more inclined to the SU model, but for those of us enamored with the former, this was a really sweet surprise.

Have a great day.

Best,

DL

PS - suggestion - maybe an SOH library addition - in case the thread gets buried later? I know it's "only" an FDE and Aircraft.cfg - but these should prove popular ...

TuFun
May 23rd, 2013, 15:30
I have both models and enjoy them also! Thanks John! 87596

Bomber_12th
May 23rd, 2013, 17:37
I'd just like to consider it much like a 'beta', and would be willing to try and improve anything that anyone may notice and report on. Both the Wozza and SkyUnlimited Texans get an equal working-out on my end (for instance, with Wozza's Texan, it's fun to leave the canopy cracked open through the entire flight (like the Kermie Cam video I posted above), hearing the sound of the wind and prop wash via Accu-feel).

Quicksand, DL, and TuFun, you are very welcome! ; )

txnetcop
May 23rd, 2013, 18:10
Thanks John :salute:
Ted

Daveroo
May 23rd, 2013, 18:50
like i said in that other thread,,i like both sets of T6's...meaning..wozza's and the SU sets,but i bet this will make em both better...

Marvin Carter
May 23rd, 2013, 18:59
Thanks John!!!

stansdds
May 24th, 2013, 05:28
It's been a long time since I've flown Wozza's T6, but with these new FDE's I might just get back into flying warbirds. Thanks! :applause:

FentiFlier1
May 24th, 2013, 05:59
Very nice! :icon29:

Since John mentions it, I too love that feature in Wozza's Texan where you can choose the canopy's exact position!

Owen.

Dumonceau
May 24th, 2013, 07:38
I mainly fly the AS Harvard/Texan. But can anyone tell me where I can find the Wozza Texan please??

Bomber_12th
May 24th, 2013, 09:04
The 'Wozza' Texan is available at Flightsim.com

Filenames are: fsds_t-6.zip and fsds_t-6update.zip

Most all of the repaints that have been available were made for the updated models. An exception is Michael Flahault's RCAF repaint (woz_t-6_rcaf.zip - also available at Flightsim.com), one of my favorites, which requires the original non-updated exterior model, before changes were made to the cowling mapping. When using it, all you need to do is make a new model folder (name it whatever you want), and use the original non-updated exterior model with the updated interior model, and make sure to assign the Aircraft.cfg file entry for that repaint to the new model folder you created.

Other repaints (that I'm aware of) for the Wozza Texan:

saafhvd.zip - available at Flightsim.com
t6gusarmy.zip - available at Flightsim.com

A four-pack of repaints by FentiFlier1, available here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?linkid=15069&catid=3
A two-pack of repaints by MGR, available here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?linkid=16290&catid=3
A three-pack of repaints by MGR, available here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?linkid=16171&catid=3

big-mike
May 24th, 2013, 09:38
Many,many thanks for the files,feels much better now.
Mike

Marvin Carter
May 24th, 2013, 10:28
Works for me, Thanks John!!!

Cleartheprop
May 24th, 2013, 10:50
Thanks John! Can't wait to test the "updated" SU T-6.

Dumonceau
May 24th, 2013, 11:15
The 'Wozza' Texan is available at Flightsim.com

Filenames are: fsds_t-6.zip and fsds_t-6update.zip

Most all of the repaints that have been available were made for the updated models. An exception is Michael Flahault's RCAF repaint (woz_t-6_rcaf.zip - also available at Flightsim.com), one of my favorites, which requires the original non-updated exterior model, before changes were made to the cowling mapping. When using it, all you need to do is make a new model folder (name it whatever you want), and use the original non-updated exterior model with the updated interior model, and make sure to assign the Aircraft.cfg file entry for that repaint to the new model folder you created.

Other repaints (that I'm aware of) for the Wozza Texan:

saafhvd.zip - available at Flightsim.com
t6gusarmy.zip - available at Flightsim.com

A four-pack of repaints by FentiFlier1, available here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?linkid=15069&catid=3
A two-pack of repaints by MGR, available here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?linkid=16290&catid=3
A three-pack of repaints by MGR, available here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?linkid=16171&catid=3

Thanks Bomber!!!

Bomber_12th
May 24th, 2013, 17:57
A little evening Texan flight in the Seattle area

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/FHC%20German%20Fighters/Texan_1_zps426fcf9e.jpg~original (http://s7.photobucket.com/user/Bomber_12th/media/FHC%20German%20Fighters/Texan_1_zps426fcf9e.jpg.html)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/FHC%20German%20Fighters/Texan_2_zpsd3aba7b4.jpg~original (http://s7.photobucket.com/user/Bomber_12th/media/FHC%20German%20Fighters/Texan_2_zpsd3aba7b4.jpg.html)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/FHC%20German%20Fighters/Texan_3_zpse11ff9ac.jpg~original (http://s7.photobucket.com/user/Bomber_12th/media/FHC%20German%20Fighters/Texan_3_zpse11ff9ac.jpg.html)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/FHC%20German%20Fighters/Texan_5_zps372740d6.jpg~original (http://s7.photobucket.com/user/Bomber_12th/media/FHC%20German%20Fighters/Texan_5_zps372740d6.jpg.html)

Bomber_12th
May 25th, 2013, 07:20
I'm sure some have already read this before, but if you haven't, or if you haven't in some time, it is a great insight into what it is like to fly the AT-6 (including the differences to watch out for between variants). One of the items mentioned in this article that I enjoyed reading, is that with the AT-6, if you just don't look at the airspeed indicator, it will feel like you are going much faster than you really are, especially if you build some airspeed in a shallow dive and go buzzing over the countryside with trees and power line poles whizzing by you at 180-190 mph.

http://www.airbum.com/pireps/PirepT-6.html
(http://www.airbum.com/pireps/PirepT-6.html)
Note that this was written more than two decades ago, so information about prices of airframes is almost ancient by what has happened to the market since then. In it it discusses that you can buy a fairly nice, flying, AT-6 for between $30-$35,000, and the prices go up to about $60,000. Today, most sell for around the $150-$200,000 region, and I have seen one advertised as high as $350,000 (a fresh, award-winning restoration, thought to be the most authentic flying SNJ), but it didn't sell.

Dumonceau
May 25th, 2013, 07:25
This is still my favourite Harvard/Texan: the AS one

So, If anyone could redo those flight dynamics for this model, I would be much obliged!

Dumonceau

Bomber_12th
May 25th, 2013, 07:28
As stated in the book, Fighters of World War II, by Jeff Ethell and Robert Sand, "The AT-6 was the first dose of real horsepower given to Army Air Force Cadets and they took to the beefy trainer with unbridled enthusiasm, much to the horror of local townspeople who were constantly buzzed and chased at all hours of the day and night. It was intoxicating to ride behind 600 horsepower with the canopy slid back and the landing gear tucked up. A pilot's first taste of "rat racing" in trail, leader trying to shake those following, came with the Texan."

"Once we got into advanced training with a hot 600 hp airplane, we flying cadets considered it the hot rod we never could afford during the Depression. We could cruise about the Texas plains after dark, harassing train crewmen to the point of serious injury. We would spot a slow freighter ambling down the track, fly ahead of it for several miles, turn and meet the locomotive at cab level, and wait until we were right on the engine before turning on one landing light. The engineer would know that he couldn't avoid a sure collision, and order the fireman to jump before the "other train" hit. The engineer promptly slammed on the brakes and ground the wheels flat as the AT-6 roared overhead and we hightailed it back to base with our night flying training completed. This was great sport for both Army and Navy pilots." - William Bell, an AT-6 flying cadet.

Daveroo
May 25th, 2013, 07:34
"Once we got into advanced training with a hot 600 hp airplane, we flying cadets considered it the hot rod we never could afford during the Depression. We could cruise about the Texas plains after dark, harassing train crewmen to the point of serious injury. We would spot a slow freighter ambling down the track, fly ahead of it for several miles, turn and meet the locomotive at cab level, and wait until we were right on the engine before turning on one landing light. The engineer would know that he couldn't avoid a sure collision, and order the fireman to jump before the "other train" hit. The engineer promptly slammed on the brakes and ground the wheels flat as the AT-6 roared overhead and we hightailed it back to base with our night flying training completed. This was great sport for both Army and Navy pilots." - William Bell, an AT-6 flying cadet.

man..that was just mean....funny as hell...but mean....:icon_eek:

Bomber_12th
May 25th, 2013, 07:37
Dumonceau, I have them all, so I'll put the same flight characteristics together for the Alphasim/Virtavia models as well, and upload them all together as one set (covering all three sets of FSX AT-6 productions).

The reason why I don't tend to fly the Alphasim/Virtavia model is because the view from the cockpit is far more restrictive than it really is in the real aircraft, due to the way they modeled the canopy and windscreen. As you can see with the more accurate Wozza and SU models, the canopy on the AT-6 is quite tall, and when you sit in the AT-6 you also sit quite tall as well, almost able to see over the nose, with a great amount of vision provided to you. The Alphasim/Virtavia models, however, of course have a large amount of superb repaints, and it is a solid aircraft.

Dumonceau
May 25th, 2013, 07:45
Dumonceau, I have them all, so I'll put the same flight characteristics together for the Alphasim/Virtavia models as well, and upload them all together as one set (covering all three sets of FSX AT-6 productions).

The reason why I don't tend to fly the Alphasim/Virtavia model is because the view from the cockpit is far more restrictive than it really is in the real aircraft, due to the way they modeled the canopy and windscreen. As you can see with the more accurate Wozza and SU models, the canopy on the AT-6 is quite tall, and when you sit in the AT-6 you also sit quite tall as well, almost able to see over the nose, with a great amount of vision provided to you. The Alphasim/Virtavia models, however, of course have a large amount of superb repaints, and it is a solid aircraft.

Thanks Bomber, you're a true Gentleman!! I tend to agree with you on the view in the AS one, but IMHO the modelling and especially the VC is superior to the other offerings. That is of course just MHO.

And to be totally honest here: I can't get the Wozza one to start... You can have a laugh now! I'm just not the accusim kinda simmer...

Thanks again!

Dumonceau

Bomber_12th
May 25th, 2013, 08:15
Speaking of the Virtavia/Alphasim model, does anyone know of a fix ever having been made for the propeller? I noticed it spins the wrong way.

Regarding the Wozza Texan, Dumonceau, if you do remain interested in flying it, it just requires that you have a fuel tank selected (when you start off, the fuel selector will always be off) and the mag swith to both, and then all you have to do is just press Ctrl+E (if you don't want to go through the full startup procedure).

Dumonceau
May 25th, 2013, 08:27
Speaking of the Virtavia/Alphasim model, does anyone know of a fix ever having been made for the propeller? I noticed it spins the wrong way.

Regarding the Wozza Texan, Dumonceau, if you do remain interested in flying it, it just requires that you have a fuel tank selected (when you start off, the fuel selector will always be off) and the mag swith to both, and then all you have to do is just press Ctrl+E (if you don't want to go through the full startup procedure).

I'll try that, thanks again John!

ThinkingManNeil
May 25th, 2013, 10:53
I was fortunate enough to get a fair bit of stick time on both Harvard Mk.IV's and an AT-6G Texan when I was a member of the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum several years ago and the Six is my favourite aircraft, hands down. It has a spacious and roomy cockpit (a definite plus for a six+ foot, 200+ pounder like me) that offers excellent visibility once airborne, the joystick falls naturally into hand - unlike yoke-controlled aircraft , it's surprisingly light on the controls for an airplane that is easily on par size-wise with WW2 single engined fighters, and it is, plain and simple, just one solid ball of fun to fly! If I ever won the lottery I'd be happily slapping down a couple of $100K for one in an instant.

I've got a question about the FSX version of the Wozza T-6. Has anybody had problems with it not starting? I've gone through the listed procedures time and again, even tried Cntrl-E, but no joy. She shuts down as soon as it comes on to the screen, and she'll crank and she'll crank, but won't catch and start.

N.

Bomber_12th
May 25th, 2013, 12:32
Neil, to get it to start, there are only two important things you'll have to do every time you load the aircraft:

1. Select a fuel tank via the fuel selector switch (every time the aircraft loads, the fuel selector will always be "OFF", and when pressing Ctrl+E, the a fuel tank will not be selected for you automatically)
2. The magneto/ignition switch in the VC needs to go to "BOTH" (through the hidden gage code, this aircraft's ignition will not be on unless you use the switch in the VC, even when you press Ctrl+E)

Once you've done those two steps, the aircraft will fire right up when you select Ctrl+E.

For a manual start, using all that the aircraft has to offer, do the following:

1. Fuel selector on RIGHT TANK (make sure there is fuel in it)
2. Turn Battery and Generator ON
3. Using the wobble pump located between the trim wheels, you will need to pump up 2 lbs. of fuel pressure into the system (the engine gage on the instrument panel will show you this)
4. With fuel pressure in the system, prime the engine THREE STROKES (if you do more than this, the engine may catch on fire due to over-priming, which you will see by black smoke and the engine not starting (if you press Ctrl+E at this point, it will start up and the fire will go away)).
4. Turn the magneto switch to BOTH
5. ENGAGE the starter switch and push the mixture to FULL RICH
6. If the engine fails to start, add another shot of primer and engage the starter (I've found that if I had used three the first time, and then more than one on the second try, it is prone to catching on fire from over-priming). Continue this until the engine fires, adding only one shot of primer between start attempts. It will typically start right up on the first try when using 3-strokes. At any time, you can press Ctrl+E and the engine will start, as long as you have a fuel tank selected and the actual mag switch in the VC is on.

The fact that you have to use the wobble pump for the manual start is one of the items I love most about Wozza's Texan, as all AT-6/Harvard/SNJ pilots experience that with every time they start the engine, since the aircraft doesn't have a fuel booster pump.

ThinkingManNeil
May 25th, 2013, 18:28
Thanks for that. Found out I wasn't manually turning the mags to "BOTH"'; I was using the M+ command. Once I got that sorted out she started beautifully and I had a delightful flight out of Oshkosh. Thanks for the mod.

One last question: is the canopy functional on the Wozza-FSDS T-6? I tried the handle in the cockpit, which moves and makes the "Exit Open" banner appear, but the canopy remains closed. Ditto with SHIFT+E.

Thanks again.

N.

I like that AS-V Texan as well, but I, too, was disappointed with the heavy canopy framing

Bomber_12th
May 25th, 2013, 18:38
With the canopy, the "Shift+E" just de-activates and activates the lock on the forward canopy. To open it once it is unlocked, you just click on the canopy framing and slide it back manually, as far or as little as you want.

Perhaps the most commonly unknown feature of the Wozza Texan is that when you are seated in the back you can toggle to have the pilot figure show-up seated in the front VC cockpit. The switch for that is the gage cover plate on the rear instrument panel. This way, if you want to fly from the back cockpit (as popular when training for flying WWII fighters), it provides for a more challenging and realistic experience, to have to look around the guy in the front. All of the SkyUnlimited Texans/SNJ's/Harvards have the same type of feature as well, triggered through different means.

There is a readme file that covers all of these items, including the engine start items, in the original set of files, but I believe that original readme is over-written with one that doesn't cover those things when you add the update.

Speaking of engine start details, the SkyUnlimited SNJ-4 has a very nicely done inertia starter simulation.

Bomber_12th
May 25th, 2013, 19:33
Here are some screens from a few recent flights in the particular example I enjoy most, the SkyUnlimited Harvard, which is the only true Harvard model for FSX. More than just an AT-6 cockpit with a spade-grip, the instrument panel is correct to the type, and the cockpit is filled with the correct assortment of U.S. and Birtish hardware (note the british type gear indicator and radios). The mixture control setup is also different, being backwards from standard U.S. aircraft. The cockpit also hat hot air controls related to the unique setup on Harvards, where heat is ducted off of the exhaust - the reason for the much longer exhaust stack (and you can see this ducting in the VC/cockpit). On early versions, like this one, the tail wheel was locked via a control arm that sticks out in front of the engine controls, which you can see. On later variants this was changed out to the control stick-controlled tail wheel locking mechanism similar to the one of the P-51 design.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/FHC%20German%20Fighters/Harvard/SU_Harvard_1_zps9c64066c.jpg~original (http://s7.photobucket.com/user/Bomber_12th/media/FHC%20German%20Fighters/Harvard/SU_Harvard_1_zps9c64066c.jpg.html)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/FHC%20German%20Fighters/Harvard/SU_Harvard_2_zps2e7efd8c.jpg~original (http://s7.photobucket.com/user/Bomber_12th/media/FHC%20German%20Fighters/Harvard/SU_Harvard_2_zps2e7efd8c.jpg.html)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/FHC%20German%20Fighters/Harvard/SU_Harvard_3_zps8e12b45c.jpg~original (http://s7.photobucket.com/user/Bomber_12th/media/FHC%20German%20Fighters/Harvard/SU_Harvard_3_zps8e12b45c.jpg.html)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/FHC%20German%20Fighters/Harvard/SU_Harvard_4_zps9dbd8cb0.jpg~original (http://s7.photobucket.com/user/Bomber_12th/media/FHC%20German%20Fighters/Harvard/SU_Harvard_4_zps9dbd8cb0.jpg.html)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/FHC%20German%20Fighters/Harvard/SU_Harvard_5_zps464448e7.jpg~original (http://s7.photobucket.com/user/Bomber_12th/media/FHC%20German%20Fighters/Harvard/SU_Harvard_5_zps464448e7.jpg.html)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/FHC%20German%20Fighters/Harvard/SU_Harvard_6_zps538c7362.jpg~original (http://s7.photobucket.com/user/Bomber_12th/media/FHC%20German%20Fighters/Harvard/SU_Harvard_6_zps538c7362.jpg.html)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/FHC%20German%20Fighters/Harvard/SU_Harvard_7_zpsf13bac27.jpg~original (http://s7.photobucket.com/user/Bomber_12th/media/FHC%20German%20Fighters/Harvard/SU_Harvard_7_zpsf13bac27.jpg.html)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/FHC%20German%20Fighters/Harvard/SU_Harvard_8_zpsb80cd03f.jpg~original (http://s7.photobucket.com/user/Bomber_12th/media/FHC%20German%20Fighters/Harvard/SU_Harvard_8_zpsb80cd03f.jpg.html)

Quicksand
May 25th, 2013, 22:20
Jesse and his development team did an outstanding job on the Texan and the Harvard. With your mods, John, they truly come to life. I really enjoy your insights as to the details and differences in the models. :salute::medals::icon29::guinness:

X_eidos2
May 26th, 2013, 04:03
My Dad flew the Harvard during his pilot training in the BCATP. I was highly motivated to get the details as right as I could. It's hard to express just how satisfying it is to have someone outside the dev team take notice, especially someone who has a world-class reputation as a modeler himself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGwilFJlYVw