PDA

View Full Version : Landmarks imported from other sims

Discus
May 23rd, 2013, 08:03
Speaking of barren land vs lively scenery: There are many historical buildings made for FS2000 and FS2002 that could be put to good use in CFS2 as landmarks, like some castles and palaces. So far I´ve found in Flightsim nearly 20 files for France, Germany and Italy.

Can they be used in CFS2 as is or should they be converted?

Discus

kdriver
May 23rd, 2013, 08:39
Hi Discus,

I've installed quite a lot of castles and other landmarks from FS2002 and even FS 2004 without any trouble. If they don't show up or they cause the sim to crash simply delete them. There are problems with some of the older scenery from FS2000 and before when they have roads, rivers and ground textures as part of the scenery. They look terrible in CFS 2. In those cases I decompiled the .bgl files and deleted the offending bits of the scenery.

Kevin

Discus
May 23rd, 2013, 10:03
Hi Discus,

I've installed quite a lot of castles and other landmarks from FS2002 and even FS 2004 without any trouble. If they don't show up or they cause the sim to crash simply delete them. There are problems with some of the older scenery from FS2000 and before when they have roads, rivers and ground textures as part of the scenery. They look terrible in CFS 2. In those cases I decompiled the .bgl files and deleted the offending bits of the scenery.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin. I´ve seen some ugly roads in the pics. I haven´t decompiled anything yet but there is always a first time.

Discus

kdriver
May 24th, 2013, 05:49
Which scenery would you like to install Discus? I may have already modified it. I have quite a number of castles in Germany and France - including Mont St Michel.

Discus
May 24th, 2013, 06:56
Well... everyone I can get and works properly in CFS2. Mount Saint Michael was the one I´ve seen with something that looked like a parking lot.

CFS2 landscape is, generaly speaking, a barren land.

In Europe there is an excelent base made by new meshes, textures, shorelines, rivers and roads. But apart from the textures applied to the land, there are only airbases, some ports, a few bridges, a few towns, some industrial complexes. And this we have after so much painstakingly efforts made during many years by some of the CFS2 gurus

When in combat, you don´t have time to look at the landscape. But when you fly near the ground and have some landmarks, or when you are around some mountanious places, you get better orientation, even when in a dogfight.
And when you transit from one place to another it´s a good thing, at least for me, to see some landmarks.

So then why not put all the landmarks posible to get more inmersion, and better orientation?

If they are old and simple they won´t affect to much FR.

So all you´re modded landmarks will be very welcomed be me and many others.

I´ve seen some scenery that has:
"a mesh scenery recreating every detail of a French rural area :The "Gorges de l'Aveyron" near Toulouse and Montauban.
Location of Montauban : N44-01-36.92, E001-22-44.60
All roads, rivers and bridges, canals, small towns, typical villages, and buildings are redesigned.
Special VFR routeings with all reporting points for CTR-Toulouse-Blagnac (LFBO)
Hence, you can fly in visual conditions with nice visual and accurate navigation markers."

May be it is possible to get rid of the mesh and get only the towns, villages and buildings and exclude the airports from this and other sceneries I´ve seen for France and the Low Countries.

Cheers, Discus

kdriver
May 24th, 2013, 08:00
Alexander Belov at Avsim has quite a bit of interesting 1930's scenery including airship stations around the world. The scenery is for FS2004 but it works perfectly in CFS2 as long as you don't fire any weapons into it - you will blow up instead of the scenery.

Here's Mont St Michel without the modern day extras.

Cheers,
Kevin

Discus
May 24th, 2013, 10:29
Alexander Belov at Avsim has quite a bit of interesting 1930's scenery including airship stations around the world. The scenery is for FS2004 but it works perfectly in CFS2 as long as you don't fire any weapons into it - you will blow up instead of the scenery.

I´ll have a look at them.

Here's Mont St Michel without the modern day extras.
Cheers,
Kevin

Thanks a lot. I´ll install it tonight.

Discus