PDA

View Full Version : Prop planes will not run

middle
May 22nd, 2013, 20:39
Hi all...all of a sudden none of the prop driven planes in my FSX will run, which is to say the motors will not fire. The copters are fine and the jets are fine. I'm pretty sure I haven't changed anything crucial. Anyone else ever have this problem? its a new install and I guess I can re-install if I have to. I'm liking FSX overall, although it took me a few years to get a computer that would run it well. I didn't do any simming at all for the past year and finally have the need to fly around the living room again for my own peace of mind.

ncooper
May 22nd, 2013, 23:42
The default flight is usually the cause of this type of problem.

If you still have the default FSX cessna 172 flight, try saving that as your
default instead of what you have now.

Python231
May 23rd, 2013, 00:11
The default flight is usually the cause of this type of problem.

If you still have the default FSX cessna 172 flight, try saving that as your
default instead of what you have now.

I had the same problem and that fixed it, :salute:

Daube
May 23rd, 2013, 01:21
I agree with the "default flight" warnings above.
Additionnaly, since you said that all of your prop planes won't start, here is another advise: go to slew mode (Y key), climb a bit (F4 key), get out of slew mode (Y key again): your plane, once dropped in the air, will start automatically. If it doesn't start this way, then something must be wrong with your fuel tanks.

Sieggie
May 23rd, 2013, 05:31
Doe's Ctl E work?

Dave

Tako_Kichi
May 23rd, 2013, 09:11
All the above are valid points but here's one more to consider. Do you have the mixture control mapped to a control axis on your stick or yoke?

I once had a problem where piston engines refused to fire up (they would turn over but not fire). I finally discovered that somehow my mixture 'dial' on my X52 had been rotated beyond full lean to the fuel cut-off position. Once I turned it to full rich everything worked as it should.

middle
May 23rd, 2013, 12:22
Thnaks, guys....I'll try all of the fixes till one works. middle

Yes the cntrl-e works but the engines will not fire....the odd thing is that the Cessna turbo does stay running.

mjrhealth
May 23rd, 2013, 12:34
In your default flight make sure fuel is not at cut off and tank selector is set to both. If not you will have issues. If your fuel is at cut off on the default some planes wont start.

Tako_Kichi
May 23rd, 2013, 12:36
Yes the cntrl-e works but the engines will not fire

That's what makes me think it may be a mixture problem.

....the odd thing is that the Cessna turbo does stay running.

Generally jets and turboprops do not use the mixture control so they will continue to run. Some turboprops have the mixture control mapped to their 'conditioner' lever (if fitted) where it acts as a fuel limiting/cut-off device. If you have a turboprop that is fitted with a conditioner lever (Lionheart's Epic comes to mind) pulling back on the lever will slow the plane down during taxi operations and prevent it from have the 'turboprop runaway' problem where it suddenly accelerates with a small application of throttle. Make sure the lever is fully forward (open) before applying take-off power.

napamule
May 23rd, 2013, 12:39
Middle,
What they are trying to tell you is that when you SAVE a FLIGHT you (FSX) also saves such things as airport, and runway, weather, time of day, and engine running (or not running). So, the message is: You need to SAVE a FLIGHT of C-172, with engine running, at your favorite airport & runway, and then make sure you tick 'MAKE DEFAULT FLIGHT' so it's all 'there' at start up of FSX. It's that simple.
Chuck B
Napamule

ncooper
May 23rd, 2013, 13:20
Thanks, guys....I'll try all of the fixes till one works. middle

Yes the cntrl-e works but the engines will not fire....the odd thing is that the Cessna turbo does stay running.

Not all aircraft models have fuel tank switches and/or fuel cut off switches.
Therefore, unless your default flight has the fuel tank switches set to both,
and the fuel cut off set at on, some or all of your aircraft will not start.
In my case, I have one default flight for my Uiver DC2, everything switched off.
Works perfectly well for this aircraft, which comes with all the switches included.
However, the default Bell 206 will not start with this flight as default, as there is no fuel
tank selector, so the fuel supply remains cut off.
Neither Ctrl+E nor the Y key solution will solve the problem, so I have a seperate helicopter flight
which I save as the default if I have to fly a helicopter.
The opposite of your problem, but hopefully makes the explanation clearer.

In many ways, the default flight is as important to FSX as the fsx.cfg file, though it is often
overlooked.

Regards,
Nick

middle
May 23rd, 2013, 19:50
I did every thing suggested...finally resorted to uninstalling which was a major deal and now I can't re-install...I'm about ready to toss this software in the trash.
I have Win8...what a pain for reinstalling. I have deleted every little bit form the registry as suggested in the guide I found here...and still I keep getting this error 1628 cuz the damn thing will not reinstall...I set up anther user account..it still won't re-install.
I have to say, FS9 and XP was a great setup...this computer runs FSX great...I don't know what happened but I guess I'm learning things about it I di not know till now.
I've been at this all day with 0 results...

I understand about saving the default flight...but I can't get the engines running. Anyway, I have un-installed FSX for the moment. Now if I can figure out how to re-install it, I'll be amazed. I don't know why the guys at MS had to make the newer machine be so damn complex to do a simple task. I bought the sim and the computer and should be able to do what I want with both without having to go thru all the aggravation.

papab
May 24th, 2013, 02:45
Take a look and see if this helps:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910816

Rick

glh
May 25th, 2013, 11:30
Make sure you have fuel in your tank(s):

Press F1, then Ctrl+Shift+F4, then Ctrl+E.

Works for me 99% of the time in FSX Acceleration.

WarHorse47
May 25th, 2013, 11:50
I'm sorry to read that you are having so many problems with FSX and Win8. I know its too late, but I would not have uninstalled the program without trying a few more things.

You indicated issues with the settings on your controller. One logical step would have been to remove the FSX.cfg file and start anew, including resetting your controller. This also would have returned you to the default flight. Many engine settings are contained in the *.flt files, so by returning to the default flight you could determine if that had been the cause for the engine not starting.

I'm new to FSX and Win8, so I'm still learning a lot which is why I'm interested in your progress. The other day I came across a thread that talked about an issue with throttle settings in FSX and recommended a change to the Standard.XML file which happens to be the main file for your controllers. The issue, apparently, is that the throttle does not reach 0% or 100%. Shutoff for me closes the throttle at 4%, for example. Anyways, my point is that we did not see if this files got corrupted or modified on your install.

As for your current situation, I don't have any advice for reinstalling FSX. What kind of issues or error messages are you encountering? Are the messages related to the registry, UAC or something else that is preventing a reinstall.

Good luck.

middle
May 28th, 2013, 08:15
Right now it's all a mess...I went thru the computer and got rid of every file relating to flight sim fsx....at this point I have refreshed the machine and yesterday tried reinstalling fsx, got to the end of the installation and it hung up again. This is really pissing me off..it should not be this hard. It's not FSX, but rather Win8 and I don't think the fixes that are available for vista and win7 work on win 8...I will keep trying, but I think i'll get an9tehr machine and go back to XP...I hate all this nonsense. XP was understandable.

ncooper
May 28th, 2013, 13:53
Right now it's all a mess...I went thru the computer and got rid of every file relating to flight sim fsx....at this point I have refreshed the machine and yesterday tried reinstalling fsx, got to the end of the installation and it hung up again. This is really pissing me off..it should not be this hard. It's not FSX, but rather Win8 and I don't think the fixes that are available for vista and win7 work on win 8...I will keep trying, but I think i'll get an9tehr machine and go back to XP...I hate all this nonsense. XP was understandable.

Windows 8 is not your problem.

FSX needs to be installed correctly and to avoid problems with file access permissions,
it is vital that it is not installed into C:\Program Files and better not to install it into C:\Program Files (x86).

This is how to do it.

First, create a folder on your C: drive, or on any other drive if you have more than one.
Once you have created a folder, name it FSX.
Now you have a folder C:\FSX.
Put the FSX disk 1 into your DVD drive and when prompted, select the custom install option
and set the installation path to C:\FSX.
Once it has installed and before you add Acceleration, run FSX as far as starting the default flight.
This will complete the first part of the installation.
Only then install Acceleration.

If you have FSX and service packs 1 and 2, the same rule applies.
Run FSX to the same point before installing service pack 1 and then to the same point again
before installing service pack 2.
If you have Acceleration, you don't need either service pack.

FSX will run perfectly well with Windows 8 with four small tweaks.

1) Installation of FSUIPC will prevent G3D.DLL errors, just as it does in Windows 7.
2) Placing the Vista version of UIAutomationCore.dll in the main FSX folder will prevent
errors relating to the incompatible Windows 8 version.
3) Adding the line
HIGHMEMFIX=1
to the [GRAPHICS] section of the fsx.cfg file will help prevent OOM errors.
4) Set fsx.exe to run as an administrator in the Properties\Compatability window you will see if you right
click on the file.

It may also be helpful to disable the Windows 8 User Account Control, which will remove
the countless windows popping up asking you to confirm that you give permission for the
next required action.

I have been running FSX under Windows 8 since the beginning of November last year, with
no more problems than I had with Vista or Windows 7 and better overall performance.

To avoid a recurrence of your aircraft failing to start, try not to set any flight other than those
included with FSX as your default flight.

If you haven't already burnt your copy of Windows 8 or FSX,
good luck.

Regards,
Nick