Henry
January 11th, 2009, 08:02
there was a tip about Quad core
and how to set it up
anyone remember
H

harleyman
January 11th, 2009, 09:02
This is to set the affinity for Quad cores....Just copy / paste it to the very top of your config file......

<CENTER>[JOBSCHEDULER]

AffinityMask=15</CENTER><CENTER></CENTER><CENTER></CENTER><CENTER></CENTER><CENTER></CENTER><CENTER></CENTER><CENTER></CENTER>

Henry
January 11th, 2009, 09:04
Thanks
H

Grey_Wolf
January 11th, 2009, 09:17
ok, i know the 15 is a variable for the 4 cores, what do i use for a i7 with its 8 cores?
CPU use, stock vista, Stock FSX + acceleration, shows its using only every other core ( or showing sugnificantly more use in the 0 and even numbered cores as compared to the odd numbered cores)

harleyman
January 11th, 2009, 09:26
Grey Wolf...That I will have to hunt the answer for..I am not real famaliar with the i7 cores yet...

But I would assume that you may not even need it ....Hopefully someone here knows and will reply...It might take me a couple days to work out...OR

Try using 30........It will not hurt... Thats what my math tells me about it...if you see no differenve in core usage please come back and say so...Tell us one way or another will you..

But I assume its 30 unless the layered core deal makes it different....

Let us know please...

harleyman
January 12th, 2009, 06:41
Grey Wolf.....

Start FSx and go into windowed mode

Then Hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete to enter Task Manager ..

Select Processes...

Find your FSX.exe and Right Click on it

Select Set Affinity..

This will show you all the cores that FSX is running on.....

Here you can select up to 30 cores to run for FSX.....

Grey_Wolf
January 12th, 2009, 13:38
Its strange.. Maybe i should ahve left it alone. I have no complaint about how FSX runs, I just feel as if i'm commiting some moral crime by not twiddling some .cfg.:jump:

That said Affinity is set to all 8
before the Affinity mask tweak I only have noticible CPU increase on #0,2,4,6
after making the affinitymask=30 i only have noticible increase on #1,4,6 Textures seam to load faster this way but could be an ilusion.

harleyman
January 12th, 2009, 14:48
Its strange.. Maybe i should ahve left it alone. I have no complaint about how FSX runs, I just feel as if i'm commiting some moral crime by not twiddling some .cfg.:jump:

That said Affinity is set to all 8
before the Affinity mask tweak I only have noticible CPU increase on #0,2,4,6
after making the affinitymask=30 i only have noticible increase on #1,4,6 Textures seam to load faster this way but could be an ilusion.

I'm with you on that......Must tweak...LOL

I'm sure the jury is still out on the new i7 and Jobschedular.. It is very possible that FSX will not even take advantage on the i7 structure....I can not really find any info on it yet....I wish Phil Taylor was still on the FSX Aces team..i'm sure he would have commented on that by now....

Thanks for letting us all know what you found GW...:ernae:

txnetcop
January 12th, 2009, 18:55
Maybe this will help. In all the testing done at TechCorp where we actually included FSX as a part of the test, speeds of 3.5 and up were significantly better than stock i7Core. FSX is quad aware but it does not use the quad core as efficiently as it uses the E8600 Penryn Core 2 Duo unless overclocked.

http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=521
Ted

harleyman
January 13th, 2009, 04:57
Thanks for that Ted....

Plus let me point out that as of the FSX Service Packs 1&2 the quad is now used rendering the addition of the JobScheudler not real necessary..But it will not hurt and in some cases it can help...Expecially in lower CPU's....

I saw a big difference on my Q6600......But no difference on my Q9550

Grey_Wolf
January 13th, 2009, 13:01
Seams as if i should leave well enough alone then :)

harleyman
January 13th, 2009, 13:45
Well grey Wolf..You seem like most of us here.. We are always searching for more..... Even if all is well to begin with....LOL

But it never hurts to try anything..if its no help it can be undone easier than it was done...:amen:

The deal is there is only so much we can do.....

unfortunately most of the tweaks are for lower specked systems,and mostly just reduce the goodies.... Some give gains...But not really on a high end system.......Its all give and take....

Dimus
January 15th, 2009, 03:08
I take this opportunity to also introduce myself over here as I mostly prowl the OFF forum. I kept away from FSX due to the old hardware I was using but I recently got a new rig with a Q6600, 4gigs of RAM, and NVidia 9600GT512 and Vista32 on it so I thought I give FSX a try. The posts I found in this forum helped me a lot to setup my install with UTX and REX. I also got the excellent Carenado C152II, which helps a lot as I am on the process of getting my PPL and I do my actual training on the same plane.

:focus::

After lots of tweaking I found out that setting the frame rate to unlimited instead of specifying a limit actually unleased my rig's potential and I now get 30 to 40 FPS instead of 15 that I got when I locked FPS at 25. My settings are the ones suggested by Harleyman on another thread. I have also enabled DX10 preview which on my rig gives a much better performance and overall image quality. OK I do get the runway flickering which is annoying sometimes but I can live with that and hope that it is cured sometime in the future.

I just wanted to add this in this thread just in case it could help someone else. Thanks to all for their help so far.

harleyman
January 15th, 2009, 05:22
I take this opportunity to also introduce myself over here as I mostly prowl the OFF forum. I kept away from FSX due to the old hardware I was using but I recently got a new rig with a Q6600, 4gigs of RAM, and NVidia 9600GT512 and Vista32 on it so I thought I give FSX a try. The posts I found in this forum helped me a lot to setup my install with UTX and REX. I also got the excellent Carenado C152II, which helps a lot as I am on the process of getting my PPL and I do my actual training on the same plane.

:focus::

After lots of tweaking I found out that setting the frame rate to unlimited instead of specifying a limit actually unleased my rig's potential and I now get 30 to 40 FPS instead of 15 that I got when I locked FPS at 25. My settings are the ones suggested by Harleyman on another thread. I have also enabled DX10 preview which on my rig gives a much better performance and overall image quality. OK I do get the runway flickering which is annoying sometimes but I can live with that and hope that it is cured sometime in the future.

I just wanted to add this in this thread just in case it could help someone else. Thanks to all for their help so far.

Hello and Welcome to the dark side ......LOL Some people do find that setting to unlimited will help them..In theory it does not...But thats just theory... You may try locking at say 45 and try that too...Or 50...Or 35...you get where I'm going with this..Experiment.....

When set to unlimited,your CPU and vid card are trying to pre load whats ahead,and you can't even see it yet....So in theory you are using up Processor power to build what you can't see yet...This includes sky and traffic being built too.....So locked is best...But you just need to find whats good for your system...

As far as flickering....In your Nvidia Control Panel set your AA up higher....It hits performance,but controls flicker also..So again you just need to find what your components like... Typically go 4 and 8 ...Or 8 and 16 on your AA and AF...

Hope this helps....

Have a look here too...I just pulled it out of archive and stuck it in these forums.....http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=3023

Dimus
January 15th, 2009, 06:42
Thanks for the welcome!

I agree it sounds strange. :kilroy: I tried locking at 40, 50 etc, but this always kicked me back to 15-18 actual. Only unlimited seemed to work and made me very happy.

I am currently practicing my cross country flights in Greece and I must admit that the road system in the UTX Europe is absolutely correct and helps a lot with navigation if you are using a real knee map.

I have read the link you posted which was very helpful. I will experiment more with AA settings and let you know.

Thanks again.