PDA

View Full Version : RNAS Culdrose available for test

IanP
October 4th, 2008, 15:21
Ladies, Gentlemen and semi-sentient marsh dwellers from the planet Glaarghnck...

Following much gnashing of teeth, the occasional expletive, some interesting shenanigans and a lot of placing helipads, I have a version of Culdrose Royal Naval Air Station for you to mutter darkly about not fitting properly with whichever UK terrain mesh you use(*).

Two things of interest before you download it, if you want to...

1) You'll need two files from flightsim.com - "rafhanli.zip" and "tedsraft.zip". Without them, you won't see the T.2 hangars, which are the majority of the buildings on the field! I've put instructions for installing these within the readme file.

2) If you want to see anything moving, you can use the MAIW FRADU Hawks from their UK Hawks packages (Avsim or militaryaiworks.com) - remembering of course that these are FS9 AI and will need converting to FSX format using AIFlightPlanner, AIFPC or a similar utility or they will clash with FSX format traffic and you get a mess. These won't work properly with DX10, being FS9 models, so you just get an empty airfield with the DX10 preview, I'm afraid, until you can convince someone to do some true FSX native AI Hawks for us... preferably some Merlins and Sea Kings as well. :)

Other than that, have fun! Comments and suggestions welcome.

http://www.ianpsdarkcorner.co.uk/modern/Culdrose/IJP_EGDR.zip

Ian P.
(* - if you find one it sits properly on, let me know! :d)

kilo delta
October 4th, 2008, 16:28
Many thanks , Ian. I'll have a go at installing this tomorrow.:ernae:

CG_1976
October 4th, 2008, 16:37
Hi Ian, I shall test this out. I have a merlin HM CG Helo ready.

CG_1976
October 4th, 2008, 17:53
Heres some Screen Shots. From looking at the HM CG paint Schemes, there simular to the USCG so i think i might try a few fictional paints.
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x311/thobin76/2008-10-4_20-10-54-921.jpg
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x311/thobin76/2008-10-4_20-11-25-375.jpg
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x311/thobin76/2008-10-4_20-37-10-218.jpg
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x311/thobin76/2008-10-4_20-37-16-484.jpg

IanP
October 5th, 2008, 02:08
Nick reported having doubled up hangars last night as well, and I see that you have Hawks on an apron where I haven't put any parking spots...

Which one do you have installed - the freeware Culdrose that goes with the Horizon VFR Photoscenery, or UK2000 VFR Airports Part 1? :d

The tower and the hangars are more accurate on the underlying scenery than they are on mine, so I'd stick with that one out of preference anyway. I should be able to stop the duplicated objects appearing by putting an uberexclude down that covers the entire airfield, but if you're already using a more correct scenery, I'm not sure why anyone would want to use mine!

I'll stick one down for people to test later.

Thanks!

Ian P.

Seaking055
October 5th, 2008, 04:41
Well, nice surprise today, Culdrose for FSX, many thanks Ian, I'll get it installed today and have a good look around. I did my own for FS9 not got around to playing in FSX yet though.

IanP
October 5th, 2008, 05:10
Well, there's now a newer version minus the fuel point dangerously close to a runway which I had missed, and with a couple of (tested this time) excludes to hopefully get rid of anyone else's underlying scenery. Whether they'll work or not is a different matter. All I can suggest is that if you have a different scenery for Culdrose - e.g. UK2000's, you don't use this one. Gary's looks more realistic anyway, although I can't afford it myself to compare the two right now. ;)

It may get officially released at 1.2, because I want to try and replace the aircraft shelters with proper hangars, if I can find an appropriate one. This is my punishment for calling it 1.0, isn't it? I really should know better and stick to 0.x versions until at least ten people have said it works. :redf:

Anyway, 1.1 is here:
http://www.ianpsdarkcorner.co.uk/modern/Culdrose/IJP_EGDR_1_1.zip

Feel free to throw rotten fruit at me for not putting the excludes back in after the shenanigans with the beacon tower.

Ian P.

SkippyBing
October 5th, 2008, 05:28
Ian, totally up to you but aircraft re-fuelling at CU and VL tends to be via fuel trucks rather than a central fuelling point so you could remove the fuel point completely and have some trucks trundling around instead.

IanP
October 5th, 2008, 05:35
The fuel point was a default one that had slipped through the net. Presumably, unlike the beacon tower, the original exclude had actually removed it, so I didn't notice it until it was too late and I'd forgotten to put the flatten back in before uploading to the site.

I put two fuel trucks over between the Jetstream and Hawk parking spots, which can get to both areas, but because none of the helipads are on the taxi network, I doubt the trucks will be prepared to go to them - you'll have to park a helo on a Jetstream spot or something, if you want fuel.

Ian P.

Gizmokev
October 5th, 2008, 05:48
If you want any insider info into Culdrose then let me know and I will try my best to fill in any missing data. I used to be a help pilot based down there at 705, 706 and 810 sqd. Also flew a lot of sorties to Preddanack and know the SOP's used on a daily basis for traffic separation.

Let me know

IanP
October 5th, 2008, 08:09
Hi Gizmokev... I don't think I'll be doing anything more to this now, as I have been unable to find an appropriate hangar to replace the aircraft shelters, so they stay. I've also fixed a couple of apron edge issues and adjusted the 750 RNAS parking, to allow the PAI pack aircraft to park there if people want to download and covert them to work in FSX. It doesn't look like the taxiway bleed into the 750 parking area is going to be repairable, as I've tried a number of the usual fixes and, for some reason, they all just seem to make it worse rather than better in that situation. No idea why.

I could allocate some aircraft parking spots so people could create AI using the Alphasim Westland Sea King pack, but again that's FS9 and, in my experience, helicopter AI doesn't work that well yet.

The excludes now appear to work, it doesn't look massively out of place on default mesh, so I think this is about as good as it is going to get at the moment unless anyone wants further tweaks made.

Ian P.

CG_1976
October 5th, 2008, 09:42
"Which one do you have installed - the freeware Culdrose that goes with the Horizon VFR Photoscenery, or UK2000 VFR Airports Part 1?"

UK2000 VFR Airports Part 1