PDA

View Full Version : Bugs...

PRB
May 16th, 2013, 16:38
I live about 25 miles west of Lambert Field (KSTL) and, apparently, right under some sort of designated approach path to the airport, from the west, because I see airliners fly over, all day, heading east, at 5000-8000 feet(ish). They're always at low lower, which would make sense, so they're not very loud, but often loud enough to make me get up and look into the sky to watch. Tonight, one of them was a little louder, so I went outside to look. It was two "Super Hornets" in close formation. That was cool. They must have business with the fine folks at Boeing...

ST0RM
May 16th, 2013, 17:10
I live about 25 miles west of Lambert Field (KSTL) and, apparently, right under some sort of designated approach path to the airport, from the west, because I see airliners fly over, all day, heading east, at 5000-8000 feet(ish). They're always at low lower, which would make sense, so they're not very loud, but often loud enough to make me get up and look into the sky to watch. Tonight, one of them was a little louder, so I went outside to look. It was two "Super Hornets" in close formation. That was cool. They must have business with the fine folks at Boeing...

They are built there at the Boeing "Skunkworks" factory. Strike Eagles too.

stansdds
May 17th, 2013, 03:59
I now live in a fairly quiet area. Regional jets often overfly me, but they are on descent into the KRIC, so the engines are at low rpm. I hear and see a good number of single and twin piston props using the local executive airport, King Airs, biz jets, and even a Piaggio P180 make regular visits. There is also a T-28 hangared there, I see and hear it on weekends. Here lately, I see and hear a lot of military helicopters. There has been such a huge increase in military operations that a local tv station did a story on it. There conclusion was that although there has been a 30% increase in military operations, there is nothing to see, so just ignore it and pretend they are not there.