PDA

View Full Version : You Gota read This news Report

Cirrus N210MS
May 15th, 2013, 07:07
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57339029/274-soldiers-ashes-dumped-in-va-landfill/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwd3ffM2nlk

arfyhun
May 15th, 2013, 08:04
Unbelieveable. Some 'tosser-in-a-tie' should be dragged around the dump behind one of the tractors.

SSI01
May 15th, 2013, 08:44
I recall seeing something like this a couple of months back. What they're burying are unidentified or unmatched body parts from deceased service members, combat casualties, that they can't store indefinitely. It makes one wonder why the city of New York can indefinitely store unidentified or unmatched body parts for the 9/11 victims but our armed forces members can't receive the same treatment. NY had vans or other means of storing this material for over a decade - I heard recently there's finally a push on for this material to receive a common burial at the Ground Zero site, but don't know if that has come to pass. One has to remember those who join the nation's armed forces are increasingly looked upon as "disposable" in many different ways, and this is just one of them. Pathetic.

Navy Chief
May 15th, 2013, 08:52
I have to say that nothing surprises me nowadays. When looked at everything in its entirety, this culture of ours has changed so much from what I grew up to believe is just and true. Seriously, it's as if everything I was taught to be wrong is now considered acceptable. Anyone else feel this way? It is maddening.

I try not to let things like this get to me, but it's not easy. Thank goodness my blood pressure medicine works.

NC

Naismith
May 15th, 2013, 09:01
Speechless. All I can say is there must be a paper trail with the order written down and some pen-pusher has to be brought to account.

mgchrist5
May 15th, 2013, 09:22
Shameful and disgusting. Sometimes I feel like this country is morphing into opposite-land; where good is bad and bad is good. Where the worthy and honorable are treated with contempt, while the feckless and incorrigible are treated as precious commodities. It just sickens (and angers) me to no end.

Whoever green-lighted this should be dismissed....but I'm sure we'll just get the usual half-hearted "lessons have been learned" statement from those in charge.

IanHenry
May 16th, 2013, 00:06
That's an absolutely shocking way to treat your troops, they should be ashamed.

Ian.

Sascha66
May 16th, 2013, 03:22
So what stopped them from burying the ashes of unidentified body parts in a proper cemetery with an appropiate memorial like "In memory of those who served their country and made the ultimate sacrifice".

That could not have been that much of an effort!

Especially if you look at the money spent on stupid election campaigns!

This really enrages me, the way bureaucrats :sniper:and :tgun2:politicians:rocket: have a callous disregard for ordinary people! This is the same the world over.

They see a little less effort for themselves or a cheap way to balance their accounts and decency and common sense go out the window!

Sascha

stansdds
May 16th, 2013, 03:40
I have to say that nothing surprises me nowadays. When looked at everything in its entirety, this culture of ours has changed so much from what I grew up to believe is just and true. Seriously, it's as if everything I was taught to be wrong is now considered acceptable. Anyone else feel this way? It is maddening.

I try not to let things like this get to me, but it's not easy. Thank goodness my blood pressure medicine works.

NC

I hear ya and I feel the same way. These days, I don't even feel that this is my country, it's some foreign land and I just happen to be a resident.

SSI01
May 16th, 2013, 08:56
Stan, the Chief, and Naismith are all 100% right. This isn't the country I grew up and came of age in. That country has left me.

"Burial at sea" has a sort of dignified connotation, until one realizes in this case, since there's no identifiable owner to the material, it's probably shoveled off some SES's cabin cruiser on a Friday evening after the week's done, with beer in hand or on the gun'l - not off a US Navy man o'war with a full burial party, including chaplain and captain, in attendance and the ship stopped and "in mourning" when it occurs. We need more info on just what a "burial at sea" means, in this particular circumstance. I know of at least one instance where some poor soul was buried off a Navy ship and the coffin (not a mattress cover) refused to sink - whereupon it was riddled with gunfire from the firing party. I remember standing in the command center of a major Navy command at the Washington Navy Yard around 2006 or 2007 and reading the message describing this event.

Smart parents are watching this stuff happening on an increasing basis and are counseling their children about military service accordingly.

Panther_99FS
May 18th, 2013, 09:24
I recall seeing something like this a couple of months back.

It was actually uncovered in 2011 - however I can't remember what happened in terms of responsibility and after actions.....
No doubt another embarrassing incident though...

CWOJackson
May 18th, 2013, 14:21
It was actually uncovered in 2011 - however I can't remember what happened in terms of responsibility and after actions.....
No doubt another embarrassing incident though...

I believe this is the same incident; the date of the article is December 2011.

I don't know what they ended up doing and whether those responsible were disciplined, however, the most appropriate thing to have done would be to cover over the landfill and turn it into a national cemetery with a simple monument/marker identifying those buried there.