PDA

View Full Version : AI Carriers2

Baslar
May 12th, 2013, 11:02
Hi everyone, :salute:

Just joined SOH and received a very nice welcome.

I've been using both FS9 and FSX for some time now and very much enjoy the simulations. However recently I've had a lot of trouble getting the program AICarrier2 to work. I have installed Nimitz and seen how good that is but unfortunately I cannot get it to show to land on. I have had it working at one time but now it doesn't show on the top bar under Add-ons. The Setup.exe tries to load but then says it's stopped working. I then tried to install it manually to no avail. I have sent an email to the author but that gets returned address un-known.

I run Vista 32bit as administrator and also FSX Acceleration. I see the note in the readme about Vista but the manual install failed to solve the problem. I have another friend who runs Windows7 and he has also experienced the same situation where the program worked for a time then doesn't.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks, Baslar

StormILM
May 12th, 2013, 11:36
Hello,

Most likely your Java version is not correct. The problem is that aicarriers2 and aicarriers2r2 won't run on current versions of Java and you'll need to backdate your Java install to make aicarriers work.
Of course, doing a backdate of Java has potential side effects that will affect certain Java plugins and other Java dependent programs. I am not aware if Lamont Clark or anyone else has come up with a work around or update but at this point, I'd venture to suggest No from my research.

If you want to get aicarriers up and running, I'd suggest getting version aicarriers2r2 and on Java jre-1_5_0_11-windows-i586-p(or a conferable version suited for your operating system which can be found at Java's site on the page showing all the legacy versions of Java). You'll need to register with their site to view and download the older versions.

jinx
May 12th, 2013, 13:44
Barrie,

There you are, and now you know what to do.
Do as the friend says and see if it works.

Nick

Paul Domingue
May 12th, 2013, 13:54
Because AICarriers2 has not kept up with the latest versions of Java I would recommend not installing it and trying to correct Java to work with it. You will end up with more problems then its worth.
You can still have AI carriers in a couple of ways. The easiest would be to install Javier's carriers ( if you don't already have them) and "Carrier Tracks 1 and 2" available at Avsim. You can also with a little bit of work (not much) create your own AI carrier tracks with AIBTC (AI Boat Traffic Compiler). I do this myself and you can use any landable CV in your SimObjects\Boats folder. All these programs and models are freeware.
You can opt for VRS's TacPack which does the same thing as AICarriers2 but it is not free.
All these options avoid Java and in my book that is a good thing.

Baslar
May 13th, 2013, 03:16
Hello again,

Many thanks for all your replies. I'm sure you are right on this and it was my suspicion that Java might be the cause of my trouble. Like many of these sub programs you end up being told that an update is available and you go ahead and get it, not realising the potential outcome. Perhaps they should issue a health warning on some of these products.

I will now see if I can get the various options you quote but it might be best if I avoid AICarriers and try the other options.

Once moire thanks for your help

:guinness: Cheers, Baslar

Sieggie
May 13th, 2013, 04:51
If i remember correctly, I had to install the 32bit version of the latest Java even though I am running W7 64, to make AI carriers work. I also removed any older copies of Java just to make sure there were no conflicts.

Dave

Daube
May 13th, 2013, 05:44
I have helped a friend install AICarriers on his computer with Win7 64 just a few weeks ago.
First we had problems because Java was missing. So we installed Java 6 runtimes (and possibly Java 7 too...)
Then, we realized that the installation of AICarriers was not correct: the path in the EXE.xml was not pointing to the correct folder. So we fixed that and then AICarriers started working correctly.

mfitch
May 13th, 2013, 20:24
Aicarriers works fine for me. I have the latest Java (7 update 21 or so) and this is a 64 bit version. 32bit Java is needed, but that will be installed with a standard install.

DarrenL
February 25th, 2014, 08:28
Thread resurrection with a solution to the problem I have had for ages. I had a popup Java error and despite having 32 and 64 bit Java installed.

I was told many things such as using an older version of Java, no. Do not do that. Firstly Aicarriers2 will work with the very latest Java (32 & 64), 32 bit needed obviously.

Then if you still have the error (below) they you may need the same thing fix I did. I use a HOSTS file to stop connections to adware/popups and such that some websites use. HOSTS file is in c:/windows/system32/drivers/etc

If you do you need to make sure you have these two lines at the top of your HOSTS file.

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 localhostafter

Mine now works.

Attached below is the error I used to get so if you see the same this should work for you too.