PDA

View Full Version : A Riddle for fun

jinx
May 11th, 2013, 14:47
Let us see who will guess first what army the man in the picture belongs to.

It is WWII.

This is just for fun.
Your guesses, please....

Nick

Allen
May 11th, 2013, 15:33
I'll place my bet on China.

Fibber
May 11th, 2013, 17:40
Nationalist Chinese

tony2
May 11th, 2013, 18:20
German Army. The hair covered backpack gives it away.

beana51
May 11th, 2013, 18:33
NAZI Brown shirts The Sturmabteilung...Circa 1920s,1930s...the enforcers as know then at rallies,and engaging in other brutal activities...Not nice guys!

gaucho_59
May 11th, 2013, 19:41
NAZI Brown shirts The Sturmabteilung...Circa 1920s,1930s...the enforcers as know then at rallies,and engaging in other brutal activities...Not nice guys!

It is either a brown shirt or the Arbeiter Korps... but no spade... therefore...I'll go with the Sturm Abteilung...

Jagdflieger
May 11th, 2013, 19:41
I too am guessing the Sturmabteilung (SA) or the "Brown Shirts" under Ernst Rhoem.

The hair covered tornister (back pack), the Brotbeutel (bread bag), Wasserflasche (canteen) and the rest of the load bearing system all seem to be of German make and issue.

For the time, mid 1930s, he is pretty heavily loaded.

jinx
May 11th, 2013, 23:22
And the winner is...

The winner is all those who guessed Sturm Abteilung (Storm Troopers).

The solidier in the image is an SA-Mann, Gruppe Mitte, marching order, 1934,

Congratulations to all those who found it.

I would not have had the foggiest idea myself...

Thanks for guessing, even if you are among those guessed wrong...

Nick

jinx
May 12th, 2013, 06:41
Let us now see who can guess this one:

Shessi
May 12th, 2013, 08:15
A complete guess at Royal Albanian mounted trooper? or horse riding mountain trooper?

Cheers

Shessi

Jagdflieger
May 12th, 2013, 08:46
A Cossack cavalryman in the service of the Wehrmacht around 1943 or 1944.

The German K-98 rifle (it's distinctive from Czech, Polish, Hungarian and other Model 98 patterns) is one of the clues and the shoulder boards and "KB" patch on his left arm are also clues. Many East Europeans fought for or allied with the Germans in the belief that they were liberators from Stalin and the Communists.

Many of these foreign legions were deployed in anti-partisan roles behind the main battle lines. The war did not end well for these volunteers when they were returned to Russian authority following the armistice.

Discus
May 12th, 2013, 13:02
My first guess was This looks like a Cossak. But reading then what Jagd had to say, well... I think he has already said everything thatīs to be said.

jinx
May 12th, 2013, 13:23
Jagdflierger:

You got it right. Congratulations. I also see you are well-read on such subjects.

It is a 1st Lieutenant, Cossack Cavalry Corps, 1943. They were allies of the Germans.

I must think of something harder.

Cheers

misson
May 12th, 2013, 13:39
A Cossack cavalryman in the service of the Wehrmacht around 1943 or 1944.

The German K-98 rifle (it's distinctive from Czech, Polish, Hungarian and other Model 98 patterns) is one of the clues and the shoulder boards and "KB" patch on his left arm are also clues. Many East Europeans fought for or allied with the Germans in the belief that they were liberators from Stalin and the Communists.

Many of these foreign legions were deployed in anti-partisan roles behind the main battle lines. The war did not end well for these volunteers when they were returned to Russian authority following the armistice.

that was my first gun I used in the military school, used it to parade, it was over 22 years ago. what memories!

jinx
May 12th, 2013, 13:46
:salute: Misson,

Which army did you serve in? German?

jinx
May 12th, 2013, 13:49
:salute:

Let us see who will guess this one:

misson
May 12th, 2013, 13:52
:salute:

Let us see who will guess this one: it seems to be a inglish officer in India

Jagdflieger
May 12th, 2013, 21:15
Mission,

During my last tour down your way, I saw many of them in the hands of los soldados de Paraguay for parades and ceremony. What a grand old rifle. I have two of them that I shoot now and then. One from Chile and one from the Wehrmacht.

At one time or another, just about every South American and many European and Asian countries all relied on Mauser's opus magnum, the Model 98.

The soldier above? I agree. A captain of the Commonwealth by the three pips on his shoulder boards. He certainly has British style web gear and what is probably a Webley revolver in his holster. I don't recognize the uniform as British per say, but it's definitely designed for the tropics. Perhaps an officer of the British Indian Army? I don't believe that the British Army wore green in the 20th Century, thus the guess as to his affiliation with the BIA and the uniform representing a specific regiment.

misson
May 13th, 2013, 07:26
:salute: Misson,

Which army did you serve in? German?
Uruguayan army, sorry i did not see your question.:salute:

misson
May 13th, 2013, 07:37
Mission,

During my last tour down your way, I saw many of them in the hands of los soldados de Paraguay for parades and ceremony. What a grand old rifle. I have two of them that I shoot now and then. One from Chile and one from the Wehrmacht.

At one time or another, just about every South American and many European and Asian countries all relied on Mauser's opus magnum, the Model 98.

We hate that rifle because it is very heavy , like the combat rifle (FAL 7.62) in that years, they are too heavy. Now our cadets use the M2 carbine (U.S.A. WWII) for parades and ceremony and the Steyr 5.56 for combat (exept special units) both more light , like pistol , I have the Jericho 941 and now the standar is the Glock.