PDA

View Full Version : VIRTAVIA SALE

Duckie
May 10th, 2013, 05:31
HU....Virtavia 50% Off sale underway at the usual places.

ian elliot
May 10th, 2013, 09:07
Last month, it was "i really must pay off my credit card bill", now Virtavia do this to me, whats a man to do :mixedsmi:
cheers ian

Blackbird686
May 10th, 2013, 10:47
Thanks for the HU Duckie!!! :guinness: I just grabbed the He-111, one I have had me eye on for a long time. Also considering the B-24 Liberator.

BB686 (Insert American Flag here...)

ian elliot
May 10th, 2013, 10:54
Just bought the B-47 and Neptune myself :icon_lol:
cheers ian

Desert Rat
May 10th, 2013, 11:24
Last month, it was "i really must pay off my credit card bill", now Virtavia do this to me, whats a man to do :mixedsmi:
cheers ian

Man I hear yah!! lol.

couldn't resist, downloading the Skyray and Prowler as we speak, don't tell the missus!!

Jamie

Moses03
May 10th, 2013, 11:27
Yep, I think I finally need to grab the giant Martin Mars. :cool:

Matt Wynn
May 10th, 2013, 11:49
BB686 (Insert American Flag here...)

*Running over the Horizon laughing like a maniac*

i'm like Ian, paying off my bills.. but my thinking is "Sod it...." so i'm eyeing up a few :icon_lol:

thanks for the H/U! :salute:

Blackbird686
May 10th, 2013, 13:25
Just grabbed the Supermarine Scimitar... quite an unusual but nice looking plane. Handles like a dream and complements my British Cold War jet collection of Hawker Hunters, the Supermarine Swift, and a host of EE Canberra's.

BB686:USA-flag:

Jagdflieger
May 10th, 2013, 14:19
Does anyone have the Hawker Hunter by Virtavia? I'm tempted, but the reviews are not all that spectacular. Any comments on it, in particular the VC?

Blackbird686
May 10th, 2013, 14:56
I have the Alpha/Virtavia Hunter.... I always thought it was a good representation of the real plane, from what I have read and the photos I've seen. Not a lot of repaints out there for it tho... The VC suits my purposes, The gauges are clear and very readable. The jet flies easy enough and looks very nice in the spot. Keep in mind that the system I am running it on has a 4.0GhZ Processor and 1GB of dedicated video memory. Since re-installing FS9, I haven't placed the Alpha/Virtavia Hunter back in yet, but I definitely have plans to.

The freeware alternative is Dave Garwood's superb Hunters. I complemented my Alpha/Virtavia Hunter with Dave Garwood's versions that Alpha/Virtavia model didn't offer.

EDIT: I just went over to the Pilot Shop at Flightsim.com. At $6.25 you cant go wrong!

ThinkingManNeil
May 10th, 2013, 15:42
I picked up the Skyray - added a couple of nice RCN and RN repaints from AvSim - and the Yak-52, which I wanted ever since I saw a tailwheel version of it on YouTube (the nosewheel version is butt ugly IMO), but for some reason the instruments aren't showing up. Put the gauge CAB in the gauges folder but that did nothing, then I tried adding the CAB to the panel folders of each of the three versions but still no joy. Finally I opened the CAB and placed all the files in the panel folder but the panel still remains blank. The panel's there, just no instruments. Any hints?

I don't know if any one else flies the Yak-52 but I think the aircraft CFG needs some tweaking. Seems I roll forward only a few yards and I'm airborne and climbing steeply.

N.

EMatheson
May 10th, 2013, 16:42
Yeah, they kinda screwed up the FS9 Yak 52 a bit. Copy and replace the entire panel folder over... and then check the aircratft.cfg to make sure it's all aliased right.
But it's a beautiful plane. I got it a while back... haven't regretted it.

Oh, and the nose-wheel version kinda grows on a person... give it some time.

ian elliot
May 10th, 2013, 21:37
Thats a good price for the Alpha Hunter, only £6, i have it myself and i prefer it to the DG model, just seems a little smoother and a little more refined, as for repaints, i have about 25, although some are FSX
repaints converted to FS9 with dxtbmp, and there are quite a lot more out there if you want to try converting yourself, search for Bruce Martin over at Avsim for many FS9 and FSX repaints

EMatheson
May 10th, 2013, 21:50
Does any one have any opinions on the Blackhawk helicoptor?

It looks beautiful, I want it, but I'd like more screenshots - and how does it fly? I'm not a very good helicoptor pilot, so if it's much more difficult than the default Robinson or the JustFlight Schweizer 300, I might not be able to handle it!

AndyG43
May 11th, 2013, 01:17
Personally I prefer Dave Garwood's Hunter to the Virtavia version, but at £6 I guess you can't go far wrong; Dave's price is still a little better though! ;-)

I bought pretty much everything FS2004 back in the Alphasim days so, unless I purchase for the Dark Side, sadly not much here for me; having said which, I'm tempted by the Hind and/or the Seaking for my occasional forays into FSX!! I would have recommended the Sea Vixen for anybody, like BB686, looking for some Cold War heavy metal but it seems not to be in the range at present - pity, because it is a rather sweet little model.

EMatheson, the Blackhawk is sweeeet. Bit more of a handful than the defaults, but worth the effort; and, like yourself, I'm far from decent in flying the choppers. Plenty of repaints for it at Flightsim too, which is always a plus.

Blackbird686
May 11th, 2013, 04:18
Personally I prefer Dave Garwood's Hunter to the Virtavia version, but at £6 I guess you can't go far wrong; Dave's price is still a little better though! ;-)

I re-installed the Alpha Hunter lastnight, and was pleasantly reminded of what a sweet model it is. I also re-installed Dave Garwood's T6 Hunters, and the FR.10's, as well as the export variants of the F.6. The two planes complement each other nicely, both having advantages and features that the other may or may not have. Dave Garwood's Hunters are excellent models and are still flown regularly in my sim. Like the man said... the price is right.

Duckie
May 11th, 2013, 06:34
Thoughts on the C-17 and the Seaking for FS9?

HorusJ
May 11th, 2013, 07:21
I joined the club,picked up the Caribou.:ernae:
Might go back to get the Ka-50 in a couple of days.

Blackbird686
May 11th, 2013, 07:39
I joined the club,picked up the Caribou.:ernae:
Might go back to get the Ka-50 in a couple of days.

You'll like the Ka-50, takes some getting used to but once you get the hang of the flight characteristics, it's a blast. Takes off and lands pretty much like a helicopter, but get that baby cooking along and you can roll and turn like a plane. (Actually, looping it is more like a flip, be sure there is sufficient distance between you and the ground!). I found some repaints for it at Flightsim, including fictional USMC, British Army, German Air Force... etc. There's a bunch.

awj112
May 11th, 2013, 08:11
Thoughts on the C-17 and the Seaking for FS9?

Did the Seaking package for FS 2004. Love it; definitely a plus that Virtavia stopped selling multiple packs for the SeaKing. As for the C-17, I have the Area 51 that comes in both FS2004 and FSX flavors so I can't quite justify even paying half price for only the FS 2004 version.

Savings tip: Seeing as Virtavia just started this sale, I would suggest waiting until Tuesday when PC Aviator's pilot shop discounts everything 10%, even items on sale.

Blackbird686
May 11th, 2013, 08:30
Virtavia offers both FS9 and FSX versions of their models in one download over at Flightsim Pilot Shop. I have quite the lot, and they have come with models for both sims. Now, the C-17... I can't say that about because I don't have that one.

Area51's models are very nice... I have the U2-S Dragon Lady for FS9 and the visual model is outstanding.

EDIT: The Virtavia C-17 over at Flightsim pilot Shop is FS9 only. Just went over and read the docs on the plane.

Jagdflieger
May 11th, 2013, 08:49
Thanks for the positive responses to my question on the Hawker Hunter guys. I'll pick it up today as well as the Chance-Vought Cutlass and perhaps the McDonnell Demon. I really like these early jets.

I've always liked Dave Garwood's series of Hunters, but for some reason my computer with Windows 7 will not open the installer for these jets. Well, I'll just use the Alphasim/Virtavia Hunter until I can figure that issue out. Anyone else having the same problem?

Ferry_vO
May 11th, 2013, 09:01
Bought the FsX version of the C-17 yesterday, and for only 17.48 I'm very happy with it! Exterior textures are a bit bland, but the real thing's a big grey whale too I guess!

It flies great, not nearly as sluggish as some freeware airliners around; I've seen it do a display a few years ago and the virtual model seems able to reproduce those maneuvres quite well.
VC is one of the best yet from AS/Virtavia and the sounds are great too.

Duckie
May 11th, 2013, 09:52
Thanks for the feedback fellas. :salute:

awj112 - Thanks for tha savings tip! :salute:

Looks like I'll be picking up both (C-17 and Seaking) on TUESDAY! :icon_lol:

Blackbird686
May 11th, 2013, 10:42
Just grabbed the C-17... Very satisfied with the way it flies. Quite agile for a big jet. :medals: The rest has pretty much been covered in the previous posts here.

Blackbird686
May 11th, 2013, 12:25
I've always liked Dave Garwood's series of Hunters, but for some reason my computer with Windows 7 will not open the installer for these jets. Well, I'll just use the Alphasim/Virtavia Hunter until I can figure that issue out. Anyone else having the same problem?

Check your PM's Jagd.... "Happy Hunting" with the Virtavia model... you'll like it.

Moses03
May 11th, 2013, 13:56
Honk if you like flying boats. :cool:

http://i40.tinypic.com/b7dzj7.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/712ver.jpg

PRB
May 11th, 2013, 14:09
*HONK*. Nice, K. I can't believe you waited this long! :)

Sascha66
May 11th, 2013, 14:21
Does anyone have the Hawker Hunter by Virtavia? I'm tempted, but the reviews are not all that spectacular. Any comments on it, in particular the VC?

I have it but I always thought the VC is rather bland. Compare the real one ( a bit used)
http://aviafilms.com/photos/hawker-hunter-cockpit.jpg

to the Virtavia one

http://www.flight1.com/images/hawkerhunter/F1E-HNT-0019.jpg

The Restauravia Mystere IV or the Section F8 Sabre are much better renditions for example.

I always regretted not buying the Scimitar instead - I installed the Hunter and deinstalled it 2 minutes after.

I still fly Dave Gsarwood'S freeware version instead.

Cheers,
Sascha

Jagdflieger
May 11th, 2013, 15:42
I was pleasantly surprised! I'll enjoy this one for some time I think.

I had a nice tour of the Friesian Islands out of Ian's Wittmundhafen airbase. I'm not sure if Hunters ever flew with German Phantoms, but it works for me in the cyber skies.

HorusJ
May 14th, 2013, 05:55
You'll like the Ka-50, takes some getting used to but once you get the hang of the flight characteristics, it's a blast. Takes off and lands pretty much like a helicopter, but get that baby cooking along and you can roll and turn like a plane. (Actually, looping it is more like a flip, be sure there is sufficient distance between you and the ground!). I found some repaints for it at Flightsim, including fictional USMC, British Army, German Air Force... etc. There's a bunch.

Thanks for the good word Blackbird.I took it(your advice),I bought it(the KA-50),I love it!:mixedsmi:

Joel

Jagdflieger
May 14th, 2013, 07:28
Too bad the B-45 Tornado is for FS X only. I've always liked its lines and the fact that it flew in my favorite period of flight.

Speaking of early jets, I also picked up the F-89 Scorpion and find it to be a treat to fly and a nice stable mate to my other Silver Wings/Cold War aircraft.

Moses03
May 14th, 2013, 07:39
Agreed Jag. Would have picked up the B-45 had it been for FS2004.

Duckie
May 14th, 2013, 07:57
Yep, me too, the B-45! I picked up the Scorpion last time around and really like it. Just downloaded the C-17 and Sea King.

Blackbird686
May 14th, 2013, 08:18
Speaking of early jets, I also picked up the F-89 Scorpion and find it to be a treat to fly and a nice stable mate to my other Silver Wings/Cold War aircraft.

For all of you out there flying that Idaho ANG F-89 Scorpion, there is a patch out there that puts the Star and Bar on the fuselage sides (possibly some squadron lettering too). After flying my copy of the F-89, it jogged my memory. ALphasim posted it on their (then) website. I'm looking for the patch in my archives now and will share it with me fellow Scorpion drivers upon request.

EDIT:

The fix I was thinking of is for the Alphasim F-89D 61st Fighter Intercept Squadron. That repaint was done by Bruce Martin. Seems that the Idaho ANG bird is missing that part of the textures too. I'll keep looking for that one. If you lot need the fix for the F-89D 61st FIS, just let me know.

Jagdflieger
May 14th, 2013, 17:44
Brad,

Thanks for that kind offer. Whenever I drive by Boise airport/Gowen Field (on Interstate 84), I'm all eyes looking for the Idaho ANG planes landing or taking off. Sadly their current paint jobs are not nearly as nice or gaudy as the Scorpion's livery.

Here's a few links to the Idaho Air National Guard:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idaho_Air_National_Guard

http://www.idaho.ang.af.mil/history/index.asp

SSI01
May 15th, 2013, 19:28
Picked up the F4D, F2H and F7U today at the sale. Impressed with the visual models. A couple of issues noted:

1) While the autopilot shows up on the F4D and F2H panels, and the buttons on the autopilot will display a red surround when they are pushed, no numbers appear in any of the windows above the buttons. Avionics are on, and autopilot is on, when this occurs.

2) I have seldom seen two aircraft more temperamental in coming aboard the boat. The most minute adjustment (less than a mm) produces an engine RPM change of up to 20%. Recalibrating and checking joystick/throttle settings has no effect on this. Setting the throttle and leaving it still produces gradual but incessant speed increase or decrease, depending on which direction you were moving the throttle before you stopped moving it. This applies to both aircraft. I am not sure if this is related to the autopilot issue noted above, or I need to change the .air file to the one for the "Master's" F4D, which is a far more tractable flight model. Not sure which .air file I could use for the F2H, but one for an F-100 should do if another one can't be found.

Tom Burnside
May 16th, 2013, 13:48
Would anyone recommend there Tornado F.3.

Blackbird686
May 16th, 2013, 14:08
Would anyone recommend there Tornado F.3.

One of the things that helps drive the popularity of any specific payware or freeware model, IMHO... is the amount of enthusiasm shown by repainters, as well as those who like to enhance the effects, and FDE's and whatnot. When I am in the market to buy a specific plane, I'll look on various sites for repaints, as well as comments about the model from other forums, and reviews... if any.... before I lay down the plastic. I'll also spend considerable time reading about real life accounts from the blokes who fly the real deal.

I have the Tornado F.3, I like it a lot. I believe UKMIL has done some repaints for this plane too. It's an excellent representation of the F.3 in my opinion, the 2d and VC are very functional, the jet seems to fly accurately, as compared to the real F.3 and the visual model has exceptional detail. I like flying low and fast with the Alpha/Virtavia F.3 Tornado, and she seems quite manageable when executing that task. Suffice to say, I never painted this one... I just flew the jet with the paint it came with.

My only regret is that Alpha/Virtavia didn't do a GR.4 to accompany the F.3... but I guess you can't have it all.