PDA

View Full Version : letter from Reid Spencer,about Bad Brads twee

Daveroo
May 6th, 2013, 20:03
got this from the racingwin email..makes sence to me...
The opinions expressed are solely those of the author.

Note to Brad: Sometimes it's best to temper your words
May 6, 2013

By Reid Spencer
NASCAR Wire Service

Memo to Brad Keselowski: (http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=7ygFe&m=JuIKUULtOoiH6j&b=xCJGs9wWEY1SoUHhmPPxcw)

Regardless of the circumstances, sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut and your Twitter feed shut down.

Don't get me wrong. Your honesty and your willingness to say what's on your mind are admirable. From a journalist's standpoint, you're excellent copy. When you won the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series championship last season, we shared your joy.

You've become the poster child for social media in the NASCAR community, starting with your wildly popular tweets during the Daytona 500, after Juan Pablo Montoya lost his argument with the jet dryer.

Nevertheless, there are times when hair-trigger tweets don't serve you well, and Sunday night was such a time.

I can understand why you were upset. You believed, and may still believe, that David Ragan usurped your rightful position on the outside of the fifth row for the green-white-checkered restart that decided the race.

The facts suggest otherwise. You are absolutely right that Ragan took the green flag from the outside row, in 10th place. He did so because NASCAR instructed him to line up there.

As the Cup cars circled under caution before the restart, those of us in the press box had Ragan scored eighth, on the outside of the fourth row, because that's what the scoring monitors showed. Scott Speed was ninth, and you were 10th.

But before the green, NASCAR reordered the field after reviewing scoring following the Lap 183 accident that caused the caution and demoted Ragan two positions. That moved Speed up to eighth and you to ninth -- on the inside row where you didn't want to be.

I'm sure you caught Ragan's explanation after the race.

"We were running eighth when the one-to-go around the caution (came), and NASCAR -- I guess it's standard procedure -- they always go back through the running order and adjust any cars that need to be adjusted, I guess with film maybe, when the caution came out on that back straightaway wreck," Ragan said.

"I knew that we were probably a little higher than what we should be, because we were running 20th or so when that wreck happened and we made it through, so they adjusted the lineup."

Questioned about the race procedure, NASCAR issued a statement indicating that Ragan had lined up properly.

I'm sure, Brad, that you thought you had a legitimate beef, but that's not the only issue here. There are times when you should simply hold your tongue to avoid appearing small-minded and petulant.

Front Row Motorsports got its first win and fourth top five in 406 starts. This is the moment in the sun for owner Bob Jenkins and the drivers who finished 1-2, Ragan and David Gilliland. Coming from your blue-collar racing family background, you ought to be able to identify with the enormity of what happened on Sunday.

Realistically, this may be the last win ever for Front Row. You, on the other hand, almost certainly will continue to win races and challenge for championships. The bottom line is that it's unseemly to spit in Cinderella's glass slipper on her one big night at the ball.

It's also unwise to accuse another driver of "cheating the game" two days before your Penske Racing organization faces its final appeal hearing for using what NASCAR has deemed unapproved parts in your rear end housings last month at Texas.

You're an elite driver and an outspoken, charismatic champion, but there are times when tact and magnanimity should temper your words.

Sunday night is a case in point.

eddie
May 6th, 2013, 20:24
That's a great letter. I hope Brad learns from it!

stansdds
May 7th, 2013, 01:59
Excellent advice.

Terry
May 7th, 2013, 03:32
Jimmy Spencer said the best thing Penske could do would be to cancel Brad's Tweeting. Seems people named Spencer got Brad's number.

Panther_99FS
May 7th, 2013, 15:43
Hmmm....
What did Brad tweet ? - But I agree with the part about not letting Front Row Motorsports enjoy their time in glory....

Daveroo
May 7th, 2013, 18:41
Brad went off on twitter about how the 36 "cheated" and passed to the right and moved up in position.he also was very vocal (on twitter) that HE would have won the race had the 36 not cheated,and that they stole the win from him and it was embarrassing to him.there were several other things said and he argued with fans as well.

wombat666
May 8th, 2013, 00:32
Last corner, last lap and aside from a few grumbles immediately post race no further hassles.
Jorge Lorenzo #99, reigning World Champion, Marc Marquez #93, first season MotoGP 'rookie, 20 years old.

Some of these NASCAR people should take note, no major hissy fits or accusations of 'cheating' (Marquez did use Lorenzo as braking assistance) other than Lorenzo shaking his finger at him.
Of course, Jorge knows what goes round comes round ......... :kilroy:

eddie
May 8th, 2013, 00:39
Hmmm....
What did Brad tweet ? - But I agree with the part about not letting Front Row Motorsports enjoy their time in glory....

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/brad-keselowski-posts-letter-apologizing-to-david-ragan-talladega-comments-050713#!ed8Xs

Panther_99FS
May 8th, 2013, 05:12
I can't tell if the above is an apology towards David or a jab at NASCAR:ques:

...With the multi-car wreck, the rain and the impending darkness it is easy to see how NASCAR could have made that mistake....

eddie
May 8th, 2013, 09:29
You know something Panther, that letter from Brad, seems to be a form letter someone else wrote, and he just signed it,LOL

Panther_99FS
May 8th, 2013, 15:29
You know something Panther, that letter from Brad, seems to be a form letter someone else wrote, and he just signed it,LOL

:monkies: