PDA

View Full Version : Makes you wanna go. . .Hmmmmm!

falcon409
May 5th, 2013, 20:36
I'll let you all sleep on this one, lol. I have both FSX and FS9 reinstalled and so far FSX seems to be going along quite nicely. FS9 on the other hand has a curious glitch that I don't think I've ever seen before. I have a default Cessna parked at KPDX, cold and dark. As long as it sits there not running, the textures inside and out are perfect. . .I can switch from interior to exterior to tower and back again and the textures (just for the airplane) are fine. As soon as I start it up though and switch to an exterior view (from any position) the textures are gone and the aircraft, inside and out is just gray. All aircraft functions are fine, gauges show up and function perfectly. . .just the airplane textures are gone. Then when I take off, the ground textures go blurry to the extreme and all autogen is gone. At this point, if I change views at all the sim locks up and I have to use the task manager to clear it.

Like I said, FSX is not affected by this and so I have tentatively ruled out the possibility of a GPU problem. I just this morning got all the addons loaded back in FS9. . .GE2006, UT, RealSim textures and quite a few aircraft. I'm not looking forward to redoing all that after everything that's transpired. Too bad FS9 disks don't have a repair option.

Any ideas?

paiken
May 5th, 2013, 20:46
If I remember correctly, FS9 does not like being installed on the same drive that your OS is on. I just this week re-installed FS9 for the first time in over 3 years on my E: drive and have not had any issues (so far). It's kind of fun being able to run the settings all the way over to the right with no ill effects. My old Pentium 4 box had major issues with FS9, but my i7 2600k hums along nice and smooth, even with AI traffic turned up to 100%.

zswobbie1
May 5th, 2013, 23:53
Should not make any difference at all where the sims are installed. I have FSX, FS2009 & Golden Wings all installed on my C; drive of my Laptop. There has been a lot of talk & discussion that the sims must not be installed into the default program files. (C:\Program Files). I have installed into the defaults without ANY problems or isssues.
Maybe delete the FS9.cfg file, restart FS9 & it will rebuild it. Best of luck, Flight Simming can have hair tearing out moments

falcon409
May 6th, 2013, 15:44
Just uninstalled, cleaned the registry and about to reinstall all over again. . .ugh!

MCDesigns
May 6th, 2013, 16:43
Just uninstalled, cleaned the registry and about to reinstall all over again. . .ugh!

It's FS9, leave it uninstalled, LOL:icon_lol::running:

Dangerousdave26
May 6th, 2013, 17:06
Ed once you install it copy the folder so you have a backup.

The three things you need to install FS9 are

The FS9 folder
The FS9 folder in the appdata folder
The registry keys.

If you have a copy of those three things installing is rather quick and restoring a default install is even quicker.

Dangerousdave26
May 6th, 2013, 17:13
Since you most likely have Windows 7 follow these instructions to give yourself full control of your installation.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?52003-FS9-Crashes%21-%28Possible-compatibility-issues-in-Win7%29&p=570809&viewfull=1#post570809

falcon409
May 6th, 2013, 18:46
It's FS9, leave it uninstalled, LOL:icon_lol::running:
lol, I hear ya Michael, lol. :salute:

phantomx1
May 6th, 2013, 19:07
I'll let you all sleep on this one, lol. I have both FSX and FS9 reinstalled and so far FSX seems to be going along quite nicely. FS9 on the other hand has a curious glitch that I don't think I've ever seen before. I have a default Cessna parked at KPDX, cold and dark. As long as it sits there not running, the textures inside and out are perfect. . .I can switch from interior to exterior to tower and back again and the textures (just for the airplane) are fine. As soon as I start it up though and switch to an exterior view (from any position) the textures are gone and the aircraft, inside and out is just gray. All aircraft functions are fine, gauges show up and function perfectly. . .just the airplane textures are gone. Then when I take off, the ground textures go blurry to the extreme and all autogen is gone. At this point, if I change views at all the sim locks up and I have to use the task manager to clear it.

Like I said, FSX is not affected by this and so I have tentatively ruled out the possibility of a GPU problem. I just this morning got all the addons loaded back in FS9. . .GE2006, UT, RealSim textures and quite a few aircraft. I'm not looking forward to redoing all that after everything that's transpired. Too bad FS9 disks don't have a repair option.

Any ideas?

Did you install Tufuns FS9 modified Howard 500?

I am not putting down or poking at Tufun's download package, just had a suspicion as to why my ground textures went ultra blurry and couldn't make out anything for as far as the eye could see.

I had the same in bold type in your post above happen to me just after I installed and run Tufun's modified Howard 500.

Suspecting that there was something with that installation, I removed the effects files and the three effects textures, and also the modified Howard 500 and also the R2800 sound file that was placed in the FS9/Sound folder.

I am not completely sure Tufun's package was causing it, but when I switched to Milton's Howard 500 I also got the severely blurred ground textures and auto gen. But after removing everything of Tufun's modified Howard 500 package and then cranked up FS9 and flew Milton's Howard 500 the severe blurred ground textures and auto gen went back to working perfectly again.

However when I installed Tufun's effects texture fx_1 I used his to overwrite the original one I had so I will have to find a copy of the old original one to replace back into my FS9/effects/texture file.

If you are still having the trouble, try removing everything you put of Tufun's modified Howard 500 and see if straightens up. Just something to try Facon, it straightened my FS9 out. (so far).

Jafo
May 6th, 2013, 20:24
If you previously had 'all the addons' installed and working...but in this new install you have them but it's not working....I'm wwilling to bet it was/is the order of adding them...
The first time you managed to overwrite what would otherwise be a 'problem' file...fx/gauge whatever ...with a 'friendly' one....but this time the sequence was reversed.
The issue with adding a squillion 'addons' at once....you can never be sure which one was the culprit.
Just like a car....you hear a rattle...so you empty the glovebox...and pump up the tyres...and it's gone....but you never know which was the solution...;)

falcon409
May 6th, 2013, 21:26
Thanks Jafo and to everyone else who posted suggestions. . .I appreciate you taking the time to post those. I had already uninstalled FS9, cleaned out the registry and began reinstalling before most of them were posted, lol. Jafo, I did have Ted's rendition of the Howard 500 installed although I had not even loaded it once. . .not sure if that mattered any. My problems showed up whether I was flying a default Cessna or the Area51 C-5. I have only the basic FS9 (with the 9.1 update) installed and tomorrow evening I'll start loading one addon at a time and running the sim. I apologize for posting this in the FSX forums. . .I'm so used to being here the majority of the time I never thought about the fact that it wasn't FSX related. lol:isadizzy:

phantomx1
May 7th, 2013, 07:15
Thanks Jafo and to everyone else who posted suggestions. . .I appreciate you taking the time to post those. I had already uninstalled FS9, cleaned out the registry and began reinstalling before most of them were posted, lol. Jafo, I did have Ted's rendition of the Howard 500 installed although I had not even loaded it once. . .not sure if that mattered any. My problems showed up whether I was flying a default Cessna or the Area51 C-5. I have only the basic FS9 (with the 9.1 update) installed and tomorrow evening I'll start loading one addon at a time and running the sim. I apologize for posting this in the FSX forums. . .I'm so used to being here the majority of the time I never thought about the fact that it wasn't FSX related. lol:isadizzy:

Again I am not trying to come down on Tufun in anyway, shape or form, it is just that I suspect something in his package files may be causing a conflict that is causing the terrain texture blurries and the obscuring of all auto gen.

I know it is a little trouble Falcon, but not too bad, but if you can open up Tufun's zip and look at the files and then go into FS and hand delete or remove them or move them to somewhere out of FS. Then crank up FS and see if everything is back to normal. You can remove those file is under 5 minutes, and you can always put them back in if that is not the problem. But it is one way to check which fixed it for me (so far anyway).

Even though I had Tufun's rendition of the Howard 500 installed, When I flew Milton's copy of the Howard 500 I got the mass blurries and obscured autogen. And also when I flew the C-150 after I took off I experienced the same massive terrain texture blurries. After I removed Tufun's Howard 500 aircraft file, the one effect file, including the 3 effect textures, and the single R2800 pop pop sound wav that goes in FS9/Sound file, the blurries disappeared. Now I don't garrantee that was what fixed it, and don't even understand how anything in Tufun's files could cause such a conflict in FS, but after I removed those files it was all back to working properly again. It was like putting on a new set of glasses...LOL!

I'm not a FSX forum kind of guy but I came to the forum looking to see if there was anyone else having the same type of blurries experience and lo and behold I spotted your thread Falcon! So I am a FS9 kind of guy so now I am out of here, going back over yonder to my jurisdiction and don't any of you's try to foller me...LOL!

Desert Rat
May 7th, 2013, 09:51
If your getting blurries, ensure two things, the plane you fly does not have MIPs in the texs* and that they have an alpha channel, even if they are blank/white.**

Also check your display settings under Hardware TAB, esp effects and MIPS, render to tex too.

Jamie.

*all default FS9 come with MIPs as standard, remove them yourself or search AVSIM/FLIGHTSIM for the default texs with the MIPS already removed (they say something about sharpened texs or something)

** Apparently any .bmp's without an alpha channel can really impact fps in FS9 (possibly X too?) weather plane/scenery/world. There was a little app released that searched your FS entire folder and fixed them all in one fair swoop. Cannot remember zip name or where from but this is the read-me.

DxtFixerX for FS9 and FSX - neumanix 2012
-----------------------------------------

This tool fixes the stutters in FS9/FSX caused by dxt3 and dxt5 textures without an active alpha channel.

To just search for bad files without making any changes, check the box that says "Just report bad files".
To fix all faulty files, just leave the box unchecked.

Then click the "Select root folder" button to tell the program from where to start the search.
It will search all the subfolders from there on.
If you select your FS9/FSX root folder, then all your textures will be searched.

After the search is done, the program closes automatically.

Now go read the "log.txt" file that was generated. It contains a report of the faulty files that were found/fixed.

It's perfectly safe to use, as only dxt3 and dxt5 compressed bitmaps will be searched and modified. And they should ALWAYS
have an alpha channel, so you can't do anything to mess up your sim.

Enjoy!

Regards,
Peter Nyman (neumanix)

TuFun
May 7th, 2013, 10:59
I have no issues with Howard model, but I can only test it in FSX. The program DXTFixer can be found at this Link in the first post: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/382811-dxtfixer-utility/

TuFun
May 7th, 2013, 11:27
Update: Just tried this nifty little program and found the original Howard 500 fuse_L.bmp and pilotseatleather_L.bmp files are bad. Running this program will fix it, but someone will need to test it in FS9.

Paul Anderson
May 7th, 2013, 15:59
Thanks for the link for dxtfixer, cleared up fps issues with some aircraft and sceneries.
Emailed a thanks to the author.

falcon409
May 7th, 2013, 16:52
Ran it with FSX and found about 45 textures bad (all from the main texture folder and one addon folder). Ran it in FS9 and every texture checked good, lol. . .how often would that happen?

falcon409
May 8th, 2013, 08:12
In reference to the problem that started this thread (I posted this info in the FS2004 Forum as well), the offending file is an effects texture file installed with the Howard 500 (fx_1.bmp). If you have DXTbmp, load that file and save it as something other than DXT5 16bit. I saved it as 32bit 888 and that fixed the problem.

Dangerous Beans
May 8th, 2013, 10:39
I ran the tool through my stock backup copy of FSX and it found about a dozen files it says are bad.
HMMMMM indeed :)

Reddog
May 8th, 2013, 13:50
How long should it take to go thru the FSX folder? I let it run about ten minutes then shut it down cause wasn't sure it was doing anything.