PDA

View Full Version : Default C172 all white

airtj
May 1st, 2013, 19:38
Does the default C172 share files out of the main texture folder? When I load the 172 in the flight sim the textures are all white, when looking at them in the aircraft menu they have color. Thanks for the help.

anthony31
May 1st, 2013, 20:07
Little known FSX bug where the textures fallback to all white under some circumstances. Largely depends on what your default flight aircraft is.

Reloading the aircraft once you have your flight up and running should resolve the problem.

You can also resolve it the hard way by editing the aircraft.cfg so that no aircraft repaint references the texture folder (all the default do).

airtj
May 1st, 2013, 20:30
Thanks for the tip. It amazes me that I never ran into this problem sense I've owned FSX for a while. :jump:

ncooper
May 1st, 2013, 22:39
I don't think the default aircraft use any textures from the main texture folder,
rather, each has its own master "texture" folder which contains textures common to all
the repaints.
Each repaint then uses this folder as a fallback for the textures not contained in the
individual repaint folder.

Also, the " Red, Gold" repaint references to the "C172\texture" folder where
there are only white textures.
There is, therefore, no red and gold default aircraft, just to add to the confusion.
The texture.cfg file in the texture folder uses itself as a fallback, not much use if there is a
missing texture.

On the same subject, when in multiplayer, the Bell 206 and the
default DC3 will revert to the textures in their master "texture" folder
when there are several of them close together.

The Bell 206 will turn white, like the Cessna 172 and the Dc3 to the
blue and white "Cargo" version, both regardless of what the player
has actually selected.
It depends on the exterior textures contained in the "texture" folder.

I suspect that this problem would not occur if there were no exterior textures
in the "texture" folder.
Most addon aircraft developers use exactly the same file structure, but none that
I have seen yet include exterior textures, except those used in all the repaints, in their master texture folder.
Other repaints cannot use fallback textures that are not there
and therefore the aircraft continue to display the textures from the correct repaint folder.

Regards,
Nick

Dangerous Beans
May 2nd, 2013, 09:31
The same thing will happen with most of the default planes.

I fixed mine by making a copy of the texture folder and renaming it texture.0 then editing the aircraft.cfg to match

n4gix
May 3rd, 2013, 04:48
Also, the " Red, Gold" repaint references to the "C172\texture" folder where
there are only white textures.
There is, therefore, no red and gold default aircraft, just to add to the confusion.
The texture.cfg file in the texture folder uses itself as a fallback, not much use if there is a
missing texture.
There you've put you finger on the precise problem. ACES seemingly forgot that the intended purpose of the ..\texture folder was to keep only "common textures," that is bitmaps shared with all livery variations.

By putting the red/gold external textures in the root ..\texture folder, they inadvertently broke their own rules, which has of course been the cause of the odd behavior noted.

Just as an aside, ACES also pulled a really dumb move with their supplied texture.cfg files...

...by including a fallback path to their own in-house server, and not including a fallback to one of FSX's own sometimes needed folders:

Here is a proper texture.cfg file:

[fltsim]
fallback.1=..\texture
fallback.2=..\..\..\..\Texture
fallback.3=..\..\..\..\Scenery\Global\texture