PDA

View Full Version : My Dad's tumor removal surgery

FSX68
April 30th, 2013, 17:00
Well, my 89 year old dad, yes 89 years old has been going radiation therapy treatments for last 5 weeks for a tumor on his left thigh. His left leg is twice the size of the other one.
He is scheduled to have a preop/xray at a hospital located in Gainsville Fl tomorrow to see if the tumor has spread to his lungs. If is hasn't they will remove the tumor on the 2nd of May.
If it has spread to his lungs then they won't remove it and that's that. I am optimistic that it has not spread to his lungs as I have plans on going down to see him (The Villages,FL)
after surgery and has recouped. My Dad is a retired Navy CWO-4 (select) who was a Aviation Electronics Tech. He taught AT-A school in Millington, TN in the early 50's. A lot of you
here were either not on this planet then or like me in grade school. Yes, I am also a retired Navy Brat as well. Have seen a lot of the world when I lived with him + my own Navy Career.
Anyway, at 89, his mind is still sharp as a tack but sounds a little feeble at times when I talk to him on the phone. He joined the Navy in 1941 and after a brief stint with the V-5 Program
(Pilot) he quit Navy Pilot training (his class was just ahead of Bush 41). Went to Alameda CA for RADAR school which was very hush hush back then. He was a aviation radioman then flying
in P2V's and Hudsons down in Racife Brazil and at coco solo Panama. I remember when I was about 4/5 years old watching him fish from docks at Panama back in 1948.
He was Avionics Officer with VF-151 (F4B) 1964/65 on USS Coral Sea as well as at FASRON 118 at Naha Okinawa back in 1957. Fasrons are now AIMD's. He made chief in 3 Years, a featno other sailor has accomplished. That is another story in and of itself and can later elaborate on that.

I know he has enjoyed seeing my two younger brothers (one at Jax,FL) the other from Nashville. Soon, my turn to visit and hope to find him well. I am praying that tomorrow
will find the X-ray results with no spread of the cancer to his lungs and that he will be able to undergo the removal of that tumor from his leg.

Amen.....

Daveroo
April 30th, 2013, 18:53
i wish your dad all my best,and you and the rest of your family as well,he sounds like he is quite a man..positive thoughts and prayers...Dave

Gdavis101
April 30th, 2013, 23:01
Wishes go out to your Dad and Family!

TARPSBird
April 30th, 2013, 23:30
Your Dad and I have walked some of the same decks aboard Coral Sea. He sounds like a tough old Navy "airdale" and I hope the tumor is removed with no further complications. Hang in there. :salute:

IanHenry
May 1st, 2013, 02:40
Best wishes and good luck.

Regards,
Ian.

FSX68
May 1st, 2013, 04:02
Thanks to all responses. I am anxiously awaiting that phone call from my step mom today on how things went.

:salute:

papab
May 1st, 2013, 15:10
My best wishes and prayers go to you and your father...
I lost my Dad two years ago and really miss him

Take care of him and let him know we are praying for him
Rick

FSX68
May 1st, 2013, 17:31
My best wishes and prayers go to you and your father...
I lost my Dad two years ago and really miss him

Take care of him and let him know we are praying for him
Rick

Thanks Rick. Sorry for you loss. I Lost my Mom back in 2004 and even thought one never gets over it, you try to get through it.

papab
May 2nd, 2013, 12:48
How is your Dad?
The Villages is 1 1/2 hours North of me

RIck