PDA

View Full Version : Help! Are you visiting the USAF Museum, Ohio?

spatialpro
April 30th, 2013, 07:58
Can you help please?

I'm trying to find anyone who will be visiting the USAF Museum in Dayton, Ohio (or lives locally) and would be willing to take a few photos and measurements of a bit of kit on my behalf for a scenery project (not Wright-Patterson AFB though!) I'm working on please? I live thousands of miles away and although I've visited there once I'm unlikely to again for many years!

Many thanks in advance

Andy

ian elliot
April 30th, 2013, 08:33
If its a building or object, have you tried Google earth, ive used the measuring facility in that program for hangers and other stuff in the past and found it useful, just a thought.
cheers ian

X_eidos2
April 30th, 2013, 09:00
I live in Columbus, which is about an hour's drive from the museum. I wasn't planning to go for a visit any time soon, but your project could be reason enough for another road trip. From past experience, it's hard to get good photos most of the time because they keep everything so dark in the exhibit areas.

If you like, you can PM me with the details of what you're looking for. Or you can just post it here. There might be another SOH member who lives closer to the museum.

I'm currently working on a FS video project that could use some scenery designer help. So we could have an exchange of assistance.

spatialpro
May 4th, 2013, 05:02
This is what I'm after, an AN/CPN-4 Precision Approach Radar (PAR) (http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=922) used for Ground Controlled Approaches (GCA).

It is tucked away in a corner of the museum. I need photos from various angles, so I can model it using Sketchup and/or SfM, which will then be used a basis for a proper model make from scratch in 3DS Max. I really need dimensions (esp. of those two trailers, but ideally also the big dish on top etc.), but this might be tricky with barriers in place and a "look but don't touch" policy. Besides asking nicely some kind of remote distance measurer (laser etc.) of the type sold in Home Depot would do the trick.

If anyone out these has documents which include drawings and dimensions for all the bits of kit that make up the AN/CPN-4 (or AN/MPN-4) I'd also love to hear from you!! The manufacturers, Gilfillan Bros. (now part of ITT) were generally helpful but couldn't provide me with what I needed.

Many thanks

Andy